Summer rubber

Originally Posted by IndyIan
Just be sure they don't crack at low temps. If they aren't the all-season version I would expect they can't be used some where below 0C. -7C is Michelin/BFG lowest limit which I flirted with a couple times with the sport comp 2s. They actually worked just fine around freezing even in the wet, but I never got into snow with them thankfully... The sport comp 2's did end up with some odd shoulder tread cracking at the end of 30k km and a couple seasons of autocross, so who knows if it was the cold or the overheating on the track.

Yeah, they definitely aren't the all-season version. The standard tires that come on it are the Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season run-flat:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...and%20Cherokee%204X4&autoModClar=SRT

The optional tires are the P Zero run-flat:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...and%20Cherokee%204X4&autoModClar=SRT

And they mention that caveat you noted:
Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero Run Flat, like all summer tires, is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by SpitFire6
Hi,
What wheel width in the photos?
Look too wide for the tyre?
Cheers,
Iain.

I'd have to measure, but these are the factory wheels and tires, I'd expect they are properly matched, it may just be the angle of the photo.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by SpitFire6
Hi,
What wheel width in the photos?
Look too wide for the tyre?
Cheers,
Iain.

I'd have to measure, but these are the factory wheels and tires, I'd expect they are properly matched, it may just be the angle of the photo.

Yes, The angle makes them look wider than the rubber.

The summer whitewalls on my winter beater. It still gets driven occasionally in the summer to keep it running good for winter.

IMG_20200329_162614.jpg

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
The summer whitewalls on my winter beater. It still gets driven occasionally in the summer to keep it running good for winter.

Reminds me of Uncle Buck
grin.gif
Though I expect yours runs far, FAR better than John Candy's did.

Reminds me of Uncle Buck
grin.gif

Lol. It might not look like it but I can drive it anywhere, 10 hours to Sarnia on the highway and back. No cloud of smoke or backfiring. It's a comfy ride.

Reminds me of Uncle Buck
grin.gif

Lol. It might not look like it but I can drive it anywhere, 10 hours to Sarnia on the highway and back. No cloud of smoke or backfiring. It's a comfy ride.

Yeah, I know you take care of it
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I had my summer tires on the Genesis all winter
grin2.gif

Those would not have worked well here in the snow, lol
grin.gif

grin2.gif

grin.gif

Not only is this the first car I've ever had with actual Summer tires, I'm not sure I know anyone with summer tires, except my boss's 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S. Everyone just uses All Season.

When it comes time to replace them, I'll probably put All Seasons on it as the tuning isn't that aggressive, so off the line traction isn't really a concern. I'm still curious about the tread life difference I'll see.

grin2.gif

grin.gif

Not only is this the first car I've ever had with actual Summer tires, I'm not sure I know anyone with summer tires, except my boss's 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S. Everyone just uses All Season.

When it comes time to replace them, I'll probably put All Seasons on it as the tuning isn't that aggressive, so off the line traction isn't really a concern. I'm still curious about the tread life difference I'll see.

I admittedly also have limited experience with dedicated summers. I never even wore out the set of PSS's on the M5 by the time I traded. My vehicle turnover rate in recent years has been a bit too high to really properly get a handle on tire life.

Originally Posted by IndyIan
Just be sure they don't crack at low temps. If they aren't the all-season version I would expect they can't be used some where below 0C. -7C is Michelin/BFG lowest limit which I flirted with a couple times with the sport comp 2s. They actually worked just fine around freezing even in the wet, but I never got into snow with them thankfully... The sport comp 2's did end up with some odd shoulder tread cracking at the end of 30k km and a couple seasons of autocross, so who knows if it was the cold or the overheating on the track.

I'd always thought of the temperature thing as related to performance demands or expectations on high perf summer tires was dropping off at around 40 f degrees. I see mention of cracking so I that's new and good information for my file.
thumbsup2.gif

Personally, I'd love to have a road or route I could regularly use as my spirited driving adventures that justified actual summer performance tires. Speed, handling , lateral g's etc.... The fact is, that kind of driving temptation would get me into trouble here. If not for 6 months of wintery on/off here , I could probably justify A/S or winter rubber then summer tires 50/50 or 60/40. The problem (or benefit in my case);
The right A/S tires just work so darn well with handfuls of iffy days and AWD with enough traction advantages. Then, a comfortable and quiet touring ride touring ride with warm or mild weather and dry pavement days. I can't justify parting with another $600 -$800 for each car or even one and not complaining...
grin2.gif

I do realize there are "track days" for some, secret winding roads in the backcountry for others and plenty of areas that have limited winter, no winter and perfect conditions for good summer tires for lots of people. Also, there is no shortage of sporty cars or other vehicle types here in CS that I DO see wearing racy summer shoes.

* On my sporty car, I was happy with Conti Extreme DWS enough to buy them a few times. I found them to live up to the ratings as one of the top performers in High Perf A/S category. I'd recommend as a consideration to any if searching low compromise A/S. They served me well on a rwd coupe year round in place of dedicate seasonal tires that have to be changed out.

I admittedly also have limited experience with dedicated summers. I never even wore out the set of PSS's on the M5 by the time I traded. My vehicle turnover rate in recent years has been a bit too high to really properly get a handle on tire life.

You're lucky. Good summer tires cost a lot for 18"+ sizes, enough to make you wonder if you pony up the money or drive a bit slower lol.

Originally Posted by Pew

You're lucky. Good summer tires cost a lot for 18"+ sizes, enough to make you wonder if you pony up the money or drive a bit slower lol.

Well, I did pay to put the PSS's on the M5, and they weren't cheap. They were miles better than the Toyo garbage that was on there before them. I priced out a set of Michelin Pilot A/S3+ for the 2016 Grand Cherokee and was going to pull the trigger, but then ended up trading it on the 2020, so I've probably got a couple seasons to burn through these ones before they need replacing. My impression is that these wear relatively rapidly.

Originally Posted by Pew

+

Yes.
On the staggered set up and going plus 1, 255 / 235 x 18" , I was at or just above $1000 installed.

grin2.gif

grin.gif

I tried a set of Michelin A/S3 instead of another set of PSS on my 1 series. Even though the A/S3 had a significantly higher tread wear rating, they only lasted about half the life of the PSS. They just did not have enough grip to keep from spinning in first and second gears which just killed them. Back to the PSS and they are lasting much longer.

I have all-seasons on my Challenger now (Sumitomo HTR...the wrong size and mostly worn)...the replacements will be summer tires, probably Eagle F1s, since the Mickey Thompsons I wanted are made in China.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
grin2.gif

grin.gif

I tried a set of Michelin A/S3 instead of another set of PSS on my 1 series. Even though the A/S3 had a significantly higher tread wear rating, they only lasted about half the life of the PSS. They just did not have enough grip to keep from spinning in first and second gears which just killed them. Back to the PSS and they are lasting much longer.

And the Pilot Sporty 4S (the current replacement for the PSS) would be the obvious choice to replace these except that Michelin hasn't manufactured them in this size yet
frown.gif

Back