Suggestions: Mid-size SUV w/3rd row...

I purchased a 2015 Pilot LX for $14k cash with 70k miles last April. It nothing special but decent enough for a family of 5. In terms of room it legit holds 7 adults well and 8 snug(third row).

My main criteria was 8 passenger AWD and under $16k with 75k and reliable. Apparently Consumer Reports has it with above average reliability in 2015 model. I have not had a single issue with it yet.

Update: Today we set out to look at a 2013 Sienna w/ 91k miles for $14k. I was impressed with it. This one is an 8 passenger option. Not AWD but gave us a basic idea of the model layout. I think it would serve the family well. Only problem is, the wife hated it. She says the dash is ugly. So we ended up being drawn to a 2015 Highlander a few vehicles down the row. This Highlander, Toyota Certified with 75k miles. Price, $25,500. I think as far as 3rd row SUVs we've looked at so far, it is easily the nicest and most accommodating but the very top of our price range as well. I can understand why people like them so much but I'm not into it. I think it would be a mistake for our family. Wifey's logic center seems to be on the fritz. For example, this past summer we decided to try out camping. We fit our three kids, their three bicycle's, our tent, sleeping bags, food and all other camping supplies into our 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan with no exterior bike racks on top or back. Granted camping is something we don't do often, but having a vehicle that's up to the task is better than not. Attempting the same feat with the Highlander would be impossible. So, kind of frustrated with the whole quandary. Probably just have to keeping saving our money and driving the old van... for now.

When the price of a Mercedes GL450 is priced about the same as a Toyota Highlander, doesn't that tell you that people overvalue Toyota and undervalue Mercedes? If you check the forums, people actually mention that they can get the airmatic stuff on the aftermarket much cheaper than factory which was typically in the 1k range per corner. But someone just mentioned buying the rears for under $200 each. That's almost normal priced. The one I mentioned earlier that was loaded is already gone. The loaded ones don't last.

Thanks for asking! Today we looked at a 2014 Santa Fe GLS and a 2015 Journey AWD Crossroad.
The Santa Fe and Sorentos changed in 2015. The previous years aren't nearly as appealing. We were in the exact same boat as you 2 years ago. We shopped and shopped. We literally drove every 3rd row mid-size within a reasonable distance. Like you, it would ultimately come down to what the wife was happy with since it would be her DD.

We ended up with a 2016 Kia Sorento AWD SX. It drives, rides, handles and stops pretty well for what it is. Got all sorts of features and options...the panoramic roof being a big selling point for us. The 3rd row....I'm 6ft and 220lbs and I can sit back there. I probably couldn't ride 6 hours to the beach back there, but my kids can and do.

Don't even consider less than 6 cylinders in a mid-size. A 4 cylinder may do fine with just you and the wife. But load one down with the entire family and it will let you know.

Update: Today we set out to look at a 2013 Sienna w/ 91k miles for $14k. I was impressed with it. This one is an 8 passenger option. Not AWD but gave us a basic idea of the model layout. I think it would serve the family well. Only problem is, the wife hated it. She says the dash is ugly. So we ended up being drawn to a 2015 Highlander a few vehicles down the row. This Highlander, Toyota Certified with 75k miles. Price, $25,500. I think as far as 3rd row SUVs we've looked at so far, it is easily the nicest and most accommodating but the very top of our price range as well. I can understand why people like them so much but I'm not into it. I think it would be a mistake for our family. Wifey's logic center seems to be on the fritz. For example, this past summer we decided to try out camping. We fit our three kids, their three bicycle's, our tent, sleeping bags, food and all other camping supplies into our 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan with no exterior bike racks on top or back. Granted camping is something we don't do often, but having a vehicle that's up to the task is better than not. Attempting the same feat with the Highlander would be impossible. So, kind of frustrated with the whole quandary. Probably just have to keeping saving our money and driving the old van... for now.

Would she like the styling of an Odyssey better? Might be worth a shot if her biggest gripe with the Sienna was dash styling. I guess it comes down to whether or not you want to appease the wife/sacrifice space and just use cargo carriers and/or hitch storage when needed or try to sway her toward the more utilitarian choice in a van.

My 2 cents in owning an MDX now and a Highlander prior: both similarly cramped in the 3rd row for me, but for smaller kids they'll work fine. Both reliable...some MDX/Pilot years there are some things to watch for and Highlanders as a whole are great. Don't even consider a 4 banger Highlander lest you get trampled on the highway. Biggest pro for me comparing the MDX to the Highlander that I've had is driving dynamics...yes it's a sleepy crossover but comparatively speaking the MDX/Pilot will be considerably more engaging to drive with the SHAWD/VTM-4 option paired with what is an exceptional V6, including the noises it makes. The 2GR in the Highlander is rock solid but doesn't solicit anything remotely close to a smile.

$25,500 for a 2015 Highlander with 75k? Yikes! Must be a Limited, but still. We bought a 2019 SE trim brand new in Oct 2019 for $36k, sticker $44k.

Not having owned any of the mentioned vehicles, but having owned several SUVs with 3rd row seats, I would NEVER buy an SUV if I planned to use the 3rd row on a daily basis. Way too much hassle. Too hard for big people to climb back there, and too hard to supervise getting little people buckled in properly.

From a practical standpoint, you are 100% correct. We had a MV (Toyota Previa) when our three kids (and a dog or two) were young and it was perfect. I’ll tell you the younger generation does not want to be seen in a MV...my son’s family with three kids and a dog have a Honda Pilot (2015?) and love it. When they come up for the weekend that thing is packed floor to ceiling.

Look into a Pilot or Odyssey from the same era - they drive better and are more "attractive." But the VCM motors can be problematic and pricey to upkeep, so keep that in mind.

I have a 12 Sienna and am pleased with it. Your Wife didn’t like the dash. I know the 15 Sienna had some type of interior refresh. Not sure if the dash changed, but you might check into it.

My wife was dead set against a mini-van until she experienced putting a baby into a car seat through a MV sliding door. The convenience overwhelmed her desire to look cool, I guess.

Back