Suggestions: Mid-size SUV w/3rd row...

Thanks for the posts. We do in fact currently own a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan. I love it for what it is. But... the wife wants to move-on from the minivan experience. I’ve tried many times to circle her back to a minivan but she simply won’t have it. So yes, I 100% agree on the minivan. There’s a lot of value to be had in a minivan. I’ll keep working on her but she really likes Highlanders.

What about the engine and trans in the Highlander? Seems like I’ve seen or heard some years are to be avoided?

Get a 4-cylinder Highlander, if you can. They will be much easier to work on than any transverse V6, and Toyota's are really difficult to work on even for a transverse V6 :mad: One of the few bad things about Toyota.

Also likely the most reliable.

Ride is subjective.

The suspension is geared for off-road., I owned one. One of the most uncomfortable vehicles I have ever owned to date. Reliable yes. It's exactly what the OP doesn't want.

The suspension is geared for off-road., I owned one. One of the most uncomfortable vehicles I have ever owned to date. Reliable yes. It's exactly what the OP doesn't want.

Sigh. Yes, we know of your long-standing dislike of the 4Runner. Michelin. Oh, and the Crown Vic...

The 4Runner model I mentioned DOES match his wants and qualifications.

IF you're referring to the truck based comment, he specifically said "full-size". The 4Runner is not based on a "full-size".

So my suggestion is just another option that met the OP's qualifications.

So please give your one man anti-4Runner, Michelin, and Crown Vic crusade a rest.

Sigh. Yes, we know of your long-standing dislike of the 4Runner. Michelin. Oh, and the Crown Vic...

The 4Runner model I mentioned DOES match his wants and qualifications.

IF you're referring to the truck based comment, he specifically said "full-size". The 4Runner is not based on a "full-size".

So my suggestion is just another option that met the OP's qualifications.

So please give your one man anti-4Runner, Michelin, and Crown Vic crusade a rest.

You know it really doesn't matter. He will not find a 4Runner within his budget with out mega miles on it. Will he?

Buy a new 2020 Tiguan with a warranty and three rows. It should easily get you the 125k miles beyond the used 75k mile non warranty rig you buy. May be too small, don't know. Go sit in one and check

Here’s a fun challenge for you all.

The wife’s checklist of preferences:

1) Must NOT be a minivan
2) Must NOT be a truck based full-sized SUV
3) Must have 3rd row seating for 6-7
4) Must be AWD
5) Good safety ratings

Here’s my checklist of preferences:

1) $20-25k price range
2) 5-10 years old
3) 75k miles or less
4) Proven reliability; without known oil consumption, timing chain, transmission problems or other costly repairs.
5) Cost of general maintenance not crazy expensive and DIY friendly in many cases.
6) Engine and drivetrain can easily make it to at least 200k miles and beyond without major problems or need for replacement

Does such a vehicle exist?

What did her research turn up?

Here’s a fun challenge for you all.

The wife’s checklist of preferences:

1) Must NOT be a minivan
2) Must NOT be a truck based full-sized SUV
3) Must have 3rd row seating for 6-7
4) Must be AWD
5) Good safety ratings

Here’s my checklist of preferences:

1) $20-25k price range
2) 5-10 years old
3) 75k miles or less
4) Proven reliability; without known oil consumption, timing chain, transmission problems or other costly repairs.
5) Cost of general maintenance not crazy expensive and DIY friendly in many cases.
6) Engine and drivetrain can easily make it to at least 200k miles and beyond without major problems or need for replacement

Does such a vehicle exist?

How about a Mercedes GL450/GL550? Not a minivan, Not based on a truck. Has a 3rd row, the 4matic models are AWD and Mercedes has some pretty good safety systems. The 2013 model was a new model. They start in the 20k range for 75k and less. Maintenance probably isn't bad if you can DIY, there's good info out there in their EPC/WIS system which can be had cheaply on eBay for under $10. You can even retrofit the heated/cooled cup holders in the 2014 models into the 2013 but probably easier to just buy 2014+. I was going to suggest the GLE, but they only had the 3rd row in 2020 so it's going to be way more than 25k. Suspension should be smooth but it's airmatic, a little more than normal for repairs.

This one has decent options, keyless go, pano sunroof, bixenons, parking sensors, lane tracking package but not driver's assistance package.

What did her research turn up?
Thanks for asking! Today we looked at a 2014 Santa Fe GLS and a 2015 Journey AWD Crossroad. This was really the first time either one of us looked more seriously at this type of SUV. Again, this will be the wife's primary vehicle so it's really about her preferences. Her impressions of both vehicles is that she didn't really like the side blind spots. Currently owing a minivan which could be likened to driving a large fish bowel, it was hard for her to imagine driving the SUV style vehicle with the reduced side visibility. Having self admitted depth perception issues, this is of great concern for her.

For me, I just don't understand the draw to this type of vehicle. To willingly and happily give up leg room and cargo space for what? Guess it's all about ones priorities. For me, the top priorities for family hauler is utility and value and in my personal opinion, the minivan is very hard to beat. So now I think the wife is a little more willing to take a second look at a minivan. We both like the styling of the third gen Sienna, so that's probably the direction we'll be heading in, an AWD one. Hey! I think someone already suggested that in this thread.

One other disappointing discovery about both these third-row SUVs we looked at today is gaining access to the third-row. Unless we weren't doing it right I had assumed that at least one side of the second row seat would fold up and hinge forward on it's front mount to allow ease of access to the third row. It's not really too big of a deal for our young agile children to navigate this, but to expect them to perform this feat multiple times per family outing hardly seems fair to do to them particularly when one considers how children have a way of growing-up with time.

So for now, that's where we are.

The only easy way to a third row is a minivan slide door, or a model X- both not in your wife's spec

Thanks for asking! Today we looked at a 2014 Santa Fe GLS and a 2015 Journey AWD Crossroad. This was really the first time either one of us looked more seriously at this type of SUV. Again, this will be the wife's primary vehicle so it's really about her preferences. Her impressions of both vehicles is that she didn't really like the side blind spots. Currently owing a minivan which could be likened to driving a large fish bowel, it was hard for her to imagine driving the SUV style vehicle with the reduced side visibility. Having self admitted depth perception issues, this is of great concern for her.

For me, I just don't understand the draw to this type of vehicle. To willingly and happily give up leg room and cargo space for what? Guess it's all about ones priorities. For me, the top priorities for family hauler is utility and value and in my personal opinion, the minivan is very hard to beat. So now I think the wife is a little more willing to take a second look at a minivan. We both like the styling of the third gen Sienna, so that's probably the direction we'll be heading in, an AWD one. Hey! I think someone already suggested that in this thread.

One other disappointing discovery about both these third-row SUVs we looked at today is gaining access to the third-row. Unless we weren't doing it right I had assumed that at least one side of the second row seat would fold up and hinge forward on it's front mount to allow ease of access to the third row. It's not really too big of a deal for our young agile children to navigate this, but to expect them to perform this feat multiple times per family outing hardly seems fair to do to them particularly when one considers how children have a way of growing-up with time.

So for now, that's where we are.
I’m not one to bash FCA, but I’d pass on the Journey. Step up to a Durango, a bit bigger but better AWD system. Should be able to find a 2014+ Limited/GT with the 3.6 Pentastar in that range. I also have non-existent depth perception and had no problems driving the Durango.

Thanks for the posts. We do in fact currently own a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan. I love it for what it is. But... the wife wants to move-on from the minivan experience. I’ve tried many times to circle her back to a minivan but she simply won’t have it. So yes, I 100% agree on the minivan. There’s a lot of value to be had in a minivan. I’ll keep working on her but she really likes Highlanders.

What about the engine and trans in the Highlander? Seems like I’ve seen or heard some years are to be avoided?
If she is getting Highlander just bcs. of looks, it is poor choice. Sienna actually feels more planted than Highlander. I was thinking HL when I figured my X5 was too small, just to figure out I am getting at best 2 inches more space in trunk, similar in second row, and lose A LOT in everything else.
Tried Sienna AWD and was surprised that it actually track and handles more predictive than HL, though bar is really not high.
Years to avoid? 2017-2018, newer HL's, Sienna's with 8 speed transmission. Best would be to go 2015-2016 as AWD is bit more engaging than previous years, it is still 6 speed with port injected engine.
Another option in 25k is VW Atlas. It has 8 speed Aisin that did not have issues like in Toyota, and bulletproof engine with best sound of any V6 (it is VR6). It is in that segment of vehicles by far biggest and most practical and except CX-9, drives best.

The Pacifica now offers AWD and the 3 row seating you desire, Stow-N-Go baby! Over your budget with a starting MSRP of $35k but give it a couple years and the prices will be much lower with incentives. Depending on price the AWD Sienna is a great rig, hard to find a good used one that is going to be anything approaching a bargain, I searched using your parameters and there are a few out there. Be careful of the accident and fleet history as most of the bargains seem to have some baggage.

I’m not one to bash FCA, but I’d pass on the Journey. Step up to a Durango, a bit bigger but better AWD system. Should be able to find a 2014+ Limited/GT with the 3.6 Pentastar in that range. I also have non-existent depth perception and had no problems driving the Durango.
Wife and I had a rental in Florida last year that was a Journey. Biggest pile of **** ever. The passenger headlight was 3/4 full of water. Ended up taking it back to Alamo and they gave us a brand new 4-runner instead.

Back