successive pea based cleaner or alternating dosages?

for example if you had a car that never used a fuel injector cleaner and just normal top tier gas for most of its life, how many bottles of something like techron or redline etc would you use until you would be happy with the result. like would 2 treated gas tanks be enough or would you do something like.
gas tank 1 - treated
gas tank 2 -un treated
gas tank 3 - treated

basically my question is how many times would you use the pea based cleaner in a row knowing that the car had never been "cleaned" before.

also heard of some talk regarding using too many fuel injector cleaners could cause catalytic converter problems? what do yall think of that

Last edited by a moderator:
On the other hand, does it need cleaning? I ask because I've only ever used fuel injector cleaner once, that was about 5-8 years ago on my old BMW. Even then it didn't cure the problem which turned out to be a pushed-back pin in one of the fuel injector connectors. Other than that I've never used it in over 400K miles on my old Sienna, nor on any of the other vehicles in my signature.

What makes you think it needs cleaning?

On the other hand, does it need cleaning? I ask because I've only ever used fuel injector cleaner once, that was about 5-8 years ago on my old BMW. Even then it didn't cure the problem which turned out to be a pushed-back pin in one of the fuel injector connectors. Other than that I've never used it in over 400K miles on my old Sienna, nor on any of the other vehicles in my signature.

What makes you think it needs cleaning?

to be honest just peace of mind and maybe a tad of a rough idle. it seems like some people swear by using the cleaners vs some dont fix a problem that isnt broken

I would do consecutive fills.
For a new to me vehicle I might do 2 consecutive and call it a day and resume normal interval (which for me is 1 treatment every 4,000 miles).

I would do consecutive fills.
For a new to me vehicle I might do 2 consecutive and call it a day and resume normal interval (which for me is 1 treatment every 4,000 miles).
yeah i was thinking of doing that too, cuz it seems like 1 fill makes a slight difference but its not essentially clean. i was hoping 2-3 treated tanks would be good enough until the oil change, however i heard of some talk regarding too much scucessive fuel injector cleaning could be bad for cats?

Back