Subaru Outback vs Forester

can't speak about the Outback but according to many, it handles more like a "car" and more comfortable on long road trips compared to the Forester. And Outback has more power because it has FI whereas the Forester has no turbo option. I chose the Forester because I plan to keep it for long term, no turbo means less complicated and less maintenance down the road. You can also feel that you sit higher on the Forester. Our Forester Wilderness on our third camping trip this year. Plenty of space for me, my wife and two kids plus a dog crate at the back. Just added a roof box for more cargo capacity. Very useful for the camping chairs and some firewoods. Turning one year with 20k kms and no complaints so far. Easy to do the oil change because the oil filter is at the top. Serpentine belt, alternator is easily accessible. Sparkplugs, not that easy but doable. Another maintenance item is front and rear differential oil.
PXL_20240505_213803602~2.jpg

can't speak about the Outback but according to many, it handles more like a "car" and more comfortable on long road trips compared to the Forester. And Outback has more power because it has FI whereas the Forester has no turbo option. I chose the Forester because I plan to keep it for long term, no turbo means less complicated and less maintenance down the road. You can also feel that you sit higher on the Forester. Our Forester Wilderness on our third camping trip this year. Plenty of space for me, my wife and two kids plus a dog crate at the back. Just added a roof box for more cargo capacity. Very useful for the camping chairs and some firewoods. Turning one year with 20k kms and no complaints so far. Easy to do the oil change because the oil filter is at the top. Serpentine belt, alternator is easily accessible. Sparkplugs, not that easy but doable. Another maintenance item is front and rear differential oil.View attachment 219592
Best color ! If i decide to get the Forester Wilderness, its going to be Autumn Green.

Just got a 2024 ONYX XT Outback. 800 miles so far..great car. Plenty of power, smooth ride and no complaints about the CVT and this is from a guy who has bought only manual tranny cars since 1964*

The dealers lot was FULL of cars…$2700 of of sticker.

*The wife has had a couple of automatics 😔
I just purchased a new Crosstrek last week 250 miles so far. A "premium" with the option 14 package, which was inclusive of the safety equipment that should be standard. This car is not going to satisfy my need for speed, but I have my Corvette for that ;)

Yes, the dealership had a nice selection and I received an excellent deal inclusive of my trade in. I typically keep a car for a long time, lets see what happens.

Interested in perhaps a new Subaru or Forester.

I know nothing about Subaru, accept they have a generally good name, and a "Raider Nation" type following.

@SubieRubyRoo and others, some guidance would be great.
Outback is larger, so a little more cargo space and a slightly higher towing capacity.
It's a bit heavier and I can tell the difference in acceleration between my wife's Outback and my Forester.
The longer length needs a little more room to park. We're only talking a few inches though, not like a foot or more.
The Forester has a taller body with larger windows and it's like being in an air traffic control tower. It's very easy to see out. Even my co-worker who is like 6'7" and 350 decided to go with a Forester (Wilderness... I'm a bit jealous now) instead of the Outback.

If you do any light off roading ("soft roading") the Forester has better aprroach, breakover, and departure angles, though the Wilderness edition is much improved.

Engines and the CVT transaxle are the same.
Both are very, very safe.... I know how thick the rollover bars in a 2015 Forest is after having someone hit us and roll us. The sheet metal and some of the roof rail and even windshield were ground away exposing part of the protective cage.
Both are great in slippery road conditions. Just get better tires than what come stock (unless they've recently changed). The factory tires are usually put on for longevity and to help fuel economy, not for the best traction. In the previous generation the Foresters were doing to poorly in snow people began to question the quality of the car. It was the tires though. Take any car and put junk tires and it will do poorly. A top end Jeep with 150k in mods and crap tires will do worse in the snow than a rusted out Geo/Chevy Metro with good winter tires.
I've driving the hills in Seattle and other areas here in the snow and ice without an issue. But I have good tires. My wife's car has tires that are better in the rain, not as good in the snow, but she only has a couple hills to deal with and still hasn't had any issues.

Basically for normal driving, it comes down to the storage space, and a little bit of visibility.

If you can't tell I really like Subaru. I'm debating right now between a Crosstrek Wilderness (especially if they ever put the front camera on it) because it's smaller so more nimble, lighter, and better fuel economy and a modes like a lift, skid plates, etc, or something like the Toyota Tacoma overland edition (I forget what it's called).

I also feel the AC is undersized. When it's >95 and your in the sun it is only keeping up when it on full blast middle vents only.

It's alot of glass that is untinted. I'm sure more tint would help.

It can't be too bad. My wife hasn't complained about it and (checks over shoulder) she is a total wimp about the heat. Like if it's 76, she wants the AC maxed in the house. If it's 80, I can't just put the windows down because she doesn't like the "hot" air blowing on her.
It's been getting to be over 90 and hits 100 in the summers now, and other than after first getting in her (black) car it is ok once it's moving and the hot air is exhausted.

Back