Confused about New Subaru Outback oil filters..part number / numbers

New to a 2024 Outback Onyx XT. I can’t determine for sure the proper factory oil filter.
The car has a 15208AA22A filter on it, but some online Subaru sites have that part with a 20AA suffix, or an 160 suffix. Are these both proper? Is the suffix an update? Different manufacturers?

I know about the pressure relief valve controversy and what other makers filters fit, but I want OEM for my first change. Thanks and I’ll be back with more questions!

Interesting I thought the -20A was on everything minus the BRZ that gets the -170 motorsport spec filter .

You have an American made car, assuming engine was crated with filter from Japan. May have a Tokyo Roki Japan filter not available in the U.S. as a part.

Confirming is this application the 2.4 Turbo in your Onyx?

I prefer the Wix 57055XP on Subaru for aftermarket.

Yes, the XT Indicates the 2.4 Liter turbo engine. Engine from Japan
The 22A on my car is Tokyo Roki as are the 160s I have seen for sale. The 20As I see are Indonesian.

So then are any of the 15208AA filters I should avoid? Like the 15208AA15 American made filters I see at Walmart?

I do see the Wix at Rock Auto with a spec pressure relief valve.

Yes, the XT Indicates the 2.4 Liter turbo engine. Engine from Japan
The 22A on my car is Tokyo Roki as are the 160s I have seen for sale. The 20As I see are Indonesian.

So then are any of the 15208AA filters I should avoid? Like the 15208AA15 American made filters I see at Walmart?

They will all work.

There are two Subaru sizes, tall and short. They're about 1/2" difference in length, but they all screw on the same.

The 12A (short) or 15A (tall) was what Subaru of USA was using for several years. For some reason about 1.5 years ago, they stopped selling them, stating there was some type of production shortage... However as you noted those started showing up at WalMart afterwards, for whatever reason. Subaru replaced those with another plain blue "emergency" filter with no markings, which was simply an unlabeled AC Delco PF2057. They used these for about a year. Then about six months ago, they came out with the Indonesian filters. These are the new permanent USA filters.

Back