Use Mopar SRT Oil Filter for 5.7L HEMI?

5038041aa.jpg

I came across some interesting info from this post:

Here is the relevant info that I copied/pasted:

From the SRT Engineers:

The SRT oil filter for all the past engines and the new 22mm inlet SRT filter for the Gen 4 and beyond engines share the same characteristics. We worked with many of the filter suppliers to get the best features. Some fell out for various performance reasons but we ended up developing the current SRT filters with one of the mainstream manufacturers (it is different than their commercial offerings - or at least was when we developed it). The high flow oil pumps in our large engines (Viper is the biggest) can overpower the internal relief valve. When this valve opens it allows some of the high pressure dirty oil to bypass the filter element in order to keep the filter from being damaged. The SRT filters do indeed have a higher differential bypass valve to make sure all the oil delivered to your powerplant is clean. The housing is slightly thicker than many of the brands out there to handle the pressure but is not the thickest. The real thick ones failed our development testing (fractured at the crimped flange). The media used was one of the latest synthetics that allowed very fine filtration, more debris capacity, and much lower restriction than our standard Mopar filter (and just about every other filter out there)

When an SRT owner takes their vehicle to a driving eventwith the specific intent of exploring the far reaches of the performance envelope, they can rest assured that the 6.4-liter HEMI engine will sustain proper oil-pressures in extreme cornering conditions. For track-day use, SRT engineers suggest using the SRT oil filter(part number 05038041AA). Originally designed for Viper applications, it works great with all Chrysler V8 engines. The SRT filter features a higher differential pressure bypass valve and reduced pressure loss across the filter element.

SRT engineer round table Q&A April 15, 2014

Q. A lot of owners are starting to use the SRT Viper oil filter on their 5.7, 6.1 and 6.4 engines (SRT filter # 05038041AA). Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) in using this filter vs. the standard Mopar filter?

A. The SRT Viper filter flows better than the stock Purolator filter and requires a higher differential pressure to bypass the filter at cold starts and high demand (Meaning the SRT Viper filter bypass stays closed more often and filters more oil). Both filters will work on the 5.7/6.1/6.4.

I doubt FCA would admit to any of this information in the event of a warranty claim, nor can I verify the credibility of the individuals providing this info, but it sure sounds convincing. Rockauto sells the SRT/Hellcat oil filter for about $3 more than the MO-339. Thinking about using this filter in place of the specified MO-339. Can anyone foresee any disadvantages aside from the larger size (more difficult to replace)?

Last edited:
I'd run the Hellcat filter after reading what the engineers said. If you car is still under the power train warranty, I'd suggest calling a dealer or two and specifically ask them if you ran the Hellcat filter if the factory warranty would still be covered.

If you car is still under the power train warranty, I'd suggest calling a dealer or two and specifically ask them if you ran the Hellcat filter if the factory warranty would still be covered.
I'm sure the answer is no.

Here is a photo comparison between the regular Mopar filter and the SRT oil filter:
1613511118562.png

1613511134231.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
FWIW I used this on my '17 RAM, once. Seems like a decent filter, a little on the expensive side so Ive since switched to Fram Ultra in the same size (XG2)

The inside of the SRT filter looked similar to the RP 20-820 filter I ran a couple times (the scalloped openings, etc)

Im guessing the incompatibility is shown because of electric steering rack in the way in the RAM application after MY12. All of the "big" filters for the Hemi will have that issue, but its not impossible to get them in and out....just takes a little planning ahead and expect a little bit of a mess.

FWIW I used this on my '17 RAM, once. Seems like a decent filter, a little on the expensive side so Ive since switched to Fram Ultra in the same size (XG2)

The inside of the SRT filter looked similar to the RP 20-820 filter I ran a couple times (the scalloped openings, etc)

Im guessing the incompatibility is shown because of electric steering rack in the way in the RAM application after MY12. All of the "big" filters for the Hemi will have that issue, but its not impossible to get them in and out....just takes a little planning ahead and expect a little bit of a mess.
If I order 12 at a time from Rockauto, the price comes out to $9.70/filter shipped including tax, which is less than the cost of a Fram Ultra. I thought the MO-899 and the SRT filter were dimensionally identical?

Here is a photo comparison between the specified MO-899 and the SRT oil filter:
View attachment 45696
View attachment 45697

so it looks like the regular Mopar is a Purolator, while the SRT is a Wix :)

Too bad the $3 extra doesn't include a silicone ADBV

If I order 12 at a time from Rockauto, the price comes out to $9.70/filter shipped including tax, which is less than the cost of a Fram Ultra. I thought the MO-899 and the SRT filter were dimensionally identical?

Yeah Im pretty sure they are identical, but after 2012 it will say its not compatible with RAM because the steering rack is in the way. Thats when they went to the smaller filter (I forget the Mopar number off hand). its not completely blocking the larger filter, I just assume they want to make sure its easy for the tech and/or customer that would be changing the oil. And knowing FCA, they probably save $0.00000000001 by using the smaller filter, so win-win for them.

As far as pricing, the XG2 is $8 at my local Walmart. Yeah its not MUCH cheaper, but I dont need to buy 12 of them to get that price either.

Yeah Im pretty sure they are identical, but after 2012 it will say its not compatible with RAM because the steering rack is in the way. Thats when they went to the smaller filter (I forget the Mopar number off hand). its not completely blocking the larger filter, I just assume they want to make sure its easy for the tech and/or customer that would be changing the oil. And knowing FCA, they probably save $0.00000000001 by using the smaller filter, so win-win for them.

As far as pricing, the XG2 is $8 at my local Walmart. Yeah its not MUCH cheaper, but I dont need to buy 12 of them to get that price either.
You are correct. The smaller filter is the MO-339 - that is the one specified for my truck. MO-899 is the larger one.

The Critic ... what would be the main reason(s) you want to run the SRT filter? Better flow (meaning less delta-p), better efficiency or ???.

The Critic ... what would be the main reason(s) you want to run the SRT filter? Better flow (meaning less delta-p), better efficiency or ???.
No particular reason, other than being aware of a "factory option" that is potentially more efficient. I usually change my oil and oil filter every 3-5k miles or 6 months so service life is not a major concern.

The XG10060 sells for $8.43 @Walmart, less than the usual $8.97. I considered using the SRT after reading some folks in the Ram forum were using them, but went the Ultra route: my go to for the last 10 years. Also used the RP 10-48, but for the money, Ultra for the win.

I was looking at the 041 filters for my 5.7L a while back when I got it, but the louvered slots in the inner core (Purolators?) many have said are closed up and are quite inconsistent made me stay with the 899s. 041s are dome end bypass (16psi?) vs base end (12psi?) for the 899 fwiw. I think I'd go with a WixXP over the 041. Both the 899 and 041 have nitrile ADBVs too, the WixXP silicone...

Here is a photo comparison between the regular Mopar filter and the SRT oil filter:
View attachment 45696
View attachment 45697

That definitely doesn't look like a synthetic media filter, that's just paper.

MO-899 doesnt fit the later trucks, wont clear the rack

It works....Ive done it.

Honestly I have more of an issue with the A/C lines getting in the way than the rack. The rack gets in the way if you try to install it from the bottom, but if you go from the front of the truck it will make it.

Pretty sure FCA changed just because its easier/faster to get the smaller filter in from underneath, saving pennies of time and $$$. I do admit taking the larger filter out can cause more of a mess, but thats pretty easy to deal with.

I was looking at the 041 filters for my 5.7L a while back when I got it, but the louvered slots in the inner core (Purolators?) many have said are closed up and are quite inconsistent made me stay with the 899s. 041s are dome end bypass (16psi?) vs base end (12psi?) for the 899 fwiw. I think I'd go with a WixXP over the 041. Both the 899 and 041 have nitrile ADBVs too, the WixXP silicone...
My experience as well. QC was sketchy. In addition to what you stated, the gasket was barely secured to the filter and almost certain to stay on the mounting surface on removal.

Back