Subaru Brand Oil

I got an email promoting Subaru dealer services. In the email the claim was made that:
We recommend refilling with Genuine Subaru Oil at every oil change because it's the ONLY oil formulated specifically for your SUBARU BOXER® engine.

It's formulated with a unique blend of additives, detergents and modifiers specific for the lubrication needs of the SUBARU BOXER engine.
It reduces wear and cleans internal components to maximize engine life and maintain optimal fuel economy.3
Each batch is lab-tested over 10 different ways to help ensure consistent quality.

I would like to know who manufactures the oil and how it differs from other API SN and GF-5 oils. Also how this formulation meets specific needs of Subaru Boxer engines. I'd like to post the response on Bob is the Oil Guy.

This was the response:
Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. and providing me with the opportunity to assist you. I apologize for my delay in reaching out to you, as we are currently experiencing longer than normal response times.

Engine designs vary from one automotive manufacturer to another, each creating different internal conditions that require the right type of oil to protect against heat and friction. This is why we recommend servicing with Genuine Subaru Oil, because it’s the ONLY oil formulated specifically for your SUBARU BOXER® engine.

Here are some reason why we recommend using Genuine Subaru motor oil.

• Engineered to clean and protect internal engine components between oil changes better than most leading aftermarket brands*
  • Formulated with a unique blend of additives, detergents, and modifiers specific for the lubrication needs of the SUBARU BOXER® engine
  • Reduces wear and cleans internal components to maximize engine life and maintain optimal fuel economy
  • Each batch is lab-tested over 10 different ways to help ensure consistent quality
If you are looking for additional technical information we would recommend speaking with your local authorized Subaru service center.

My evaluation of the response is that they claim their oil is better, but are keeping the reasons to themselves. I conclude that the oil is basic API SN and GL-5 oil.
An UOA is all you can do and compare results with others. If not find an “ aftermarket” that resembles what the UOA states. IMO

Shunning PAO as a base oil, Subaru has invented their own classification known as POO group #2. Subaru collects used wok oil from all of Japan, filters it through a sumo wrestler loin cloth, carefully adds two drops of eel sauce as the add pack and bottles it for the discerning N. American Subaru market. Tests have shown this oil can delay catastrophic engine failure from the normal 95,000 mile mark to an astonishing 95,100 miles, thus justifying its cost. Accept no substitutes! Ask for authentic Subaru POO oil at your next service.

Idemitsu Jeffersonville Indiana

There is also another bottler in nearby Corydon Indiana

Hmmmmm🤔

Shunning PAO as a base oil, Subaru has invented their own classification known as POO group #2. Subaru collects used wok oil from all of Japan, filters it through a sumo wrestler loin cloth, carefully adds two drops of eel sauce as the add pack and bottles it for the discerning N. American Subaru market. Tests have shown this oil can delay catastrophic engine failure from the normal 95,000 mile mark to an astonishing 95,100 miles, thus justifying its cost. Accept no substitutes! Ask for authentic Subaru POO oil at your next service.
That was worth resurrecting an old thread.

(a translated version from their Japanese corp meeting)
CEO: "how do we make more money?"
Underlings: "uh....let us think about it"
CEO: "you idiots.....get some oils from our OEM idemistu, add a drop of sweat from pro boxers in each bottle, put our label and sell them as "Subaru Boxer-special" oil" (or Sumo wrestlers' per sloinker's post)
Underlings: "arigatou......you are the master" :)

Maybe Subie should partner with a major brand as Porsche does with M1

Honda also markets actually 2 branded oils one supposedly "Premium Synthetic " and one Synthetic blend, used to be made by Mobil, now, don't know. I've asked and been informed the the oil used in regular dealer service is a bulk Synthetic that "meets current warranty requirements" probably changes either quarterly or annually depending on which local bulk supplier has the lowest bid. I've been requesting a meeting with the Honda Zone service representative for several years without response to discuss the OD issues in Hondas 1.5t engines. Taking the advice of a friendly Honda Certified Master Technician who does my servicing, I just bring 4 quarts of Mobil1 0w20 EP in every 3-4k and have it changed using the Honda filter. His observation is that many 1.5t engines have at least some increase in level on the dipstick at 3k, some, depending on the owners driving habits, quite a lot. His advice is avoiding going beyond 5k in any case. There is no " magic" 0w20 that will stop OD. Subaru may be adding Unicorn tears, but it's ultimately going to be an API rated gf-6, hopefully with a decent base stock and additive package but no different or better than anything else. It's all marketing.

Last edited:
Subaru's attempt at an age old routine

download.jpg
"

Or this from HYUNDAI . States it's best to change oil in spring . What about fall ? :whistle:

Last edited:
Or this from HYUNDAI . States it's best to change oil in spring . What about fall ? :whistle:

No different than Ram recommending shell Rottela for the cummins 6.7 right in their owners manual when Cummins recommends valvoline. When it’s actually Stellantis has a contract with Shell to have their products used in their vehicles. The Dodge Charger fill oil Pennzoil ultra platinum. I am sure that QS owned buy Shell has a contract with Hyundai to have that promotion much like M1 and GM for the Corvette. It’s marketing and it works to build brand loyalty.

Back