Sub STI's are very interesting

i have been helping my nephew look for an STI under $20k . They seem to be pretty strong market. i see 2010 to 14 with 100k still in the $20k price range . that is pretty good for a older vehicle

So is this pretty much how the STI market is? he wants it mostly for looks and manual trans

The prices of the STi and Evos shot up like crazy after 2020. In 2019, that 100k STi would have been $15k in good condition. For comparison, in 2019 a 150k 2008-10 Evo was $18k in decent condition. That same Evo now would go for $26-30k.

i have been helping my nephew look for an STI under $20k . They seem to be pretty strong market. i see 2010 to 14 with 100k still in the $20k price range . that is pretty good for a older vehicle

So is this pretty much how the STI market is? he wants it mostly for looks and manual trans
Ya. Lots of aftermarket support and Subaru plays off their rally car pedigree although the STi is nowhere near rally ready.

If you want what's best for your son's financial future and well being, get your son a brand new Hyundai Sonata (or Toyota Camry if price is competitive). For the next five years he won't have anything to do but oil changes, and can focus on building up his life.

There is nothing worse for anyone, let a young man, than turning their personal transportation into a hobby that will constantly drain money from their wallet.

[Adendum]

I don't recommend anything smaller than a Sonata (when purchased new), because there is no net advantage in pricing, fuel economy, safety, comfort, or overall cost in going for a smaller vehicle.

A Sonata 2.5L GDI/MPI had an 8-speed transmission, is very fuel efficient, and can go plenty fast.

If you want what's best for your son's financial future and well being, get your son a brand new Hyundai Sonata (or Toyota Camry if price is competitive). For the next five years he won't have anything to do but oil changes, and can focus on building up his life.
If that involves women, he'll get twice as many chicks with an STI than a Sonata.

My son bought a new 2017 STI. Had an early clutch replacement, several issues with the transmission - 5th gear synchro that was never fully resolved under warranty. The motor disintegrated earlier this year on a long road trip. No warning, just knock knock and poof. Broken piston was the diagnosis. Out of warranty for the engine. Car was very well maintained and he did not beat on the thing at all. He sold it with the dead engine for $12k and bought a Tacoma. I will say, that thing really ripped when it ran.

If that involves women, he'll get twice as many chicks with an STI than a Sonata.
If you need an STI to get women, your problems are much more serious than the wheels you got. 🤔

Any woman worth anything will see past your ride and trends. Working on self improvement, a healthy lifestyle, and staying fit, is much more important than being absorbed by an endless money pit. Otherwise, the long term result will be an STI owner that carries around something small and unusused for a very long time.

It's his nephew so he's probably not doing the buying.
Sorry, my mistake. Even if the nephew pays for it, the same advice applies. It's just forum advice, so most likely it'll be ignored, without a single grain of salt.

Last edited:
Lots of judgment in this thread. Yeah I do that sometimes too, but wow. The nephew is how old? Etc Works where? Pulls down how much $?

I don't even understand the engine replacement wisecrack.

I had a 2014 WRX (non STI) HATCH (key feature to note, last year ever for hatch, I ordered the car from Japan for ~$29K!) that I traded for my 2019 Tacoma in August 2018. I think they gave me near $30K, so my Tacoma was just pennies. I only had suspension mods, but no engine mods. Frankly I thought the car was actually a little under powered (~260HP(?)) for such a light car. It handled like a cat on carpet. Nice and flat, and driving on ice and snow with good winter tires would make me a happy man.

But the weaknesses weren't the engine.

1) Subie cheapie thin everything.
2) 5 speed gear box. POS. (STi's have 6 at least)

Good luck! And watch out for thrashed examples.

Last edited:

There is nothing worse for anyone, let a young man, than turning their personal transportation into a hobby that will constantly drain money from their wallet.

[Adendum]

I don't recommend anything smaller than a Sonata (when purchased new), because there is no net advantage in pricing, fuel economy, safety, comfort, or overall cost in going for a smaller vehicle.

A Sonata 2.5L GDI/MPI had an 8-speed transmission, is very fuel efficient, and can go plenty fast.
It was just matter of time before someone comes with: I know you want 911, but try new Accord, it has CVT and it is really fun.

It was just matter of time before someone comes with: I know you want 911, but try new Accord, it has CVT and it is really fun.
I didn't suggest anything with a CVT.

An STI with 100K miles is a tragety waiting to unfold and drain a person financially, and morally. Anyone who could afford to support something like that wouldn't even look at an STI with 100K miles on the clock. That boxer engine alone is a tragedy to work on after it's been abused for so long. Almost no one buys these STI vehicles to baby them and keep them in pristine condition until the next owner comes along.

I never said you need an STI to get woman. I said you get TWICE AS MANY woman with an STI. He sounds to be in his 20's, not 60's.
You get a nice S600 or a 7 series (or even a 5 series) to get easy women. An STI won't get you anything but grief when it comes to women.

I didn't suggest anything with a CVT.

An STI with 100K miles is a tragety waiting to unfold and drain a person financially, and morally. Anyone who could afford to support something like that wouldn't even look at an STI with 100K miles on the clock. That boxer engine alone is a tragedy to work on after it's been abused for so long. Almost no one buys these STI vehicles to baby them and keep them in pristine condition until the next owner comes along.
Abused Subaru or new Hyundai? It is actually tough call.

Back