Sub STI's are very interesting

My nephew is 21 . going to college and working at the same time. yeah i told him its not the best thing to buy this type of car, but i am his uncle and not his daddy. he worked and saved for it . My job is to help him find a good one. We have already looked at few and they seem to be at the extremes . either pristine or clapped out . even the clapped out ones they ask a lot for .

the ones i have looked at were mostly owned by under 25 young men. the enthusiasm for them was close to fanatical . they have a devoted fan base. insurance for him is $4200 a year , which for that type of vehicle and age drive is not too bad.

the good thing is he likes to work on cars so if it has small issues he can probably sort it out himself .
If it were my 21 yr old nephew (as I have one) I would quietly suggest a beater BMW 128 or Civic Si for HPDE events and then a boring daily driver.

Seriously, now we know his age and situation - I will just say finish college with a commuter car. He should be putting 120% effort into college.

And, frankly the car is just too expensive used, hence what I posted earlier and everything else, people just want too much for them. If he must after college, buy NEW. It's almost the same price! Read my post. I drove mine for four years and they gave me more than I paid for it new!!!
this is exactly what i told him, but he has a big hard for one. i was stupid like him with cars that age also ,but i came out reasonably ok. LOL . he still lives at home so his expenses are not that much.

insurance for him is $4200 a year
hide-smiley.gif

he worked and saved for it
Does he plan on paying cash for it?

If it were my 21 yr old nephew (as I have one) I would quietly suggest a beater BMW 128 or Civic Si for HPDE events and then a boring daily driver.
i actually have a another nephew that is looking at a Civic SI . he is 18 though and his budget is lower. All this young guys seem to have the desire for a manual trans these days which is pretty hard to find

I never said you need an STI to get woman. I said you get TWICE AS MANY woman with an STI. He sounds to be in his 20's, not 60's.

I never said you need an STI to get woman. I said you get TWICE AS MANY woman with an STI. He sounds to be in his 20's, not 60's.
FYI 1979 Ford pick ups are chick magnets, why do you think they are called pick ups?

yeah he has enough saved up and a little buffer money for incidentals .
Then go for it! It will be a life lesson he'll never forget, for sure.

@atikovi did you see this?
⬇️⬇️⬇️
he still lives at home

@atikovi no amount of "cool" car will help with that. Having your own crib is the #1 hook to get women, not your ride, no matter what it is. Having your own clean and relatively well maintained living space, along with good manners and decent features is what will get you with women. That's because women are genetically programmed to seek strength and security.

Nothing screams "bad boy" like making "elevens" with your STI or drifting in an empty parking lot at Lowes on Sunday night, until they find out you're living with your folks...

Then go for it! It will be a life lesson he'll never forget, for sure.

@atikovi did you see this?
⬇️⬇️⬇️

@atikovi no amount of "cool" car will help with that. Having your own crib is the #1 hook to get women, not your ride, no matter what it is. Having your own clean and relatively well maintained living space, along with good manners and decent features is what will get you with women. That's because women are genetically programmed to seek strength and security.

Nothing screams "bad boy" like making "elevens" with your STI or drifting in an empty parking lot at Lowes on Sunday night, until they find out you're living with your folks...
i don't think he wants the STI for chasing women. if that was the case he would put down that money on a new ride and make payments. he is just an enthusiest like many others . In my culture ,living at home while in school or before marriage is not shameful.

i don't think he wants the STI for chasing women. if that was the case he would put down that money on a new ride and make payments. he is just an enthusiest like many others . In my culture ,living at home while in school or before marriage is not shameful.
I figured that much, I was just feeding @atikovi's assumptions, because he's the one who opened the door to the discussion about "picking up women with cars".

The car market is about to tumble to the point that sales people will shofeur your around for a couple of weeks just so they can sell you a car. If he was my nephew, I'd tell him to hold off until mid-2024 to buy his dream car. Prices will come down. Use that time to set even more money aside and shop around for a good deal. Or maybe buy one dirt cheap that needs and engine or transmission, or both. It's his dream/hobby/project car, so he might as well buy it for as little money as possible.

More like a combination of status and resources. Those other attributes may serve as a tie breaker. Very Darwinian imo.

Hypergamy
noun
noun: hypergamy
  1. the action of marrying or forming a sexual relationship with a person of a superior sociological or educational background.

I figured that much, I was just feeding @atikovi's assumptions, because he's the one who opened the door to the discussion about "picking up women with cars".

The car market is about to tumble to the point that sales people will shofeur your around for a couple of weeks just so they can sell you a car. If he was my nephew, I'd tell him to hold off until mid-2024 to buy his dream car. Prices will come down. Use that time to set even more money aside and shop around for a good deal. Or maybe buy one dirt cheap that needs and engine or transmission, or both. It's his dream/hobby/project car, so he might as well buy it for as little money as possible.
He wants stick shift! Prices are going down for appliance vehicles. However, stick shift market, especially good condition cars, cars that have fallowing, will only gain value. STi is different market from Sonata or Camry.

yeah he has enough saved up and a little buffer money for incidentals .
I personally would go Golf TSI with stick. Not demanding, still fun to drive, etc. Civic Si is definitely there.
STi, is demanding vehicle. If he is into DIY or willing to learn, then yeah. But, Subaru is not what it was during the age of Collin McRae. They are still mooching off of those years in marketing, but in reality, they lost a lot of know how, simply bcs. their focus is how to build Camry with higher clearance and AWD (Outback).
I spend a lot of time on track. They are rare. You can see more VW GTI’s etc. than STi’s, simply bcs. they lack endurance on track, especially here at high altitude. So yeah, on a street it is fun car, but it ain’t what people make out of it and he will pay premium for that perception.

I personally would go Golf TSI with stick. Not demanding, still fun to drive, etc. Civic Si is definitely there.
You nailed it. Both are less demanding vehicles, and easier on the wallet, insurance premiums, etc. He'll still have something fun to drive , while being able to focus on other things, like college.

Good for him. Its a shame many Americans feel this way. Its extremely wasteful. Some of my family stuck with their parents for the long haul and ended up their caretakers. That to me was more noble.

I think many folks here pointed out most everything. They are great cars, but I would caution for whatever STI he does manage to buy to budget another 5-10k on top of that for "incidentals." Those cars are rode hard by definition.

After looking around for a bit, I wouldn't touch an overpriced VW GTI with a ten-foot pole.

However, this beauty can be had for around $31K brand new. It's a Subaru WRX with a 6-speed manual. I'd buy this any day over a base model Sonata for $26K. It's not an STI with 100K miles on the clock, I know. But it won't leave you broke and begging either.

subby.jpg

@atikovi it's a real chick magnet, don't you think?

After looking around for a bit, I wouldn't touch an overpriced VW GTI with a ten-foot pole.

However, this beauty can be had for around $31K brand new. It's a Subaru WRX with a 6-speed manual. I'd buy this any day over a base model Sonata for $26K. It's not an STI with 100K miles on the clock, I know. But it won't leave you broke and begging either.

View attachment 194365

@atikovi it's a real chick magnet, don't you think?
Yeah but the 22+ models are ugly.

How mechanically inclined is your nephew? STIs attract very young and inexperienced people. They are more interested in spending money on mods instead of maintenance.
I would make sure your nephew understands what he’s getting himself into and won’t blame you down the road for buying it.

STIs attract very young and inexperienced people. They are more interested in spending money on mods instead of maintenance.
Heck of a stereotype burned in your brain.

Data? Proof?

Because I owned a WRX for 4+ years, not one WRX/STi person I knew fit this stereotype. Sure a few were young, yes they like to mod. But ignoring maintenance? Inexperienced? I'm calling this B poo-poo

Back