Stupid Question - ATF+3 in engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it were my motor I'd never put tranny oil inside an engine. ATF wasn't designed for that use. If M1 10w30 is too thick, why not M1 5w30 or 0w20?

Diesel fuel would thin out the motor oil also, and is cheaper than ATF. Just use that.
rolleyes.gif

I agree with MN gopher, if your having a problem running cold, the motor oil isn't going to do anything. Also ATF is severally lacking in not only detergents but antiwear additives and other important engine related components. It will not help you, nor is it a good idea. The old tranny fluid as an engine flush wives tail has been discussed here many times, take a look at the additive section.

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
or with the redneck method using cardboard.

Nothing wrong with using cardboard. Just put it behind the grill.
wink.gif

-T

quote:

The dispersants in ATF give it a detergent effect and its been used in engines for decades to clean it out before Auto-RX was marketed.

I guess you missed my and other's post(s) against using ATF.

The only ATF worth using for flushes is Type A. But it is obsolete and almost impossible to find.

However, its the low viscosity and slight ester content that MIGHT be doing some cleaning. There is nothing in ATF to protect against wear, sludging, etc. ATF is a 5-7.0 cSt (5W20) fluid and is not designed for use in IC engines. It is a special hydraulic fluid with specific friction modifiers, not friction reducers, at most.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

quote:

The dispersants in ATF give it a detergent effect and its been used in engines for decades to clean it out before Auto-RX was marketed.

I guess you missed my and other's post(s) against using ATF.

The only ATF worth using for flushes is Type A. But it is obsolete and almost impossible to find.

However, its the low viscosity and slight ester content that MIGHT be doing some cleaning. There is nothing in ATF to protect against wear, sludging, etc. ATF is a 5-7.0 cSt (5W20) fluid and is not designed for use in IC engines. It is a special hydraulic fluid with specific friction modifiers, not friction reducers, at most.

Thanks MolaKule. I guess I did miss it... I haven't been regularly posting on BITOG and prior to that, I had read it was ok to use ATF in the engine.

I poured Kerosene into the gas tank and that seems to have solved the cold running problem. I re-adjusted the injector timing but I can't figure out how that would cause my problem.

Thanks all!

"two cycle oil is mainly solvents, not much for zinc of other EP additives"

true, I was thinking as an alternative to kerosine or atf as a pre oil change oil flush, not to run as a motor oil. Could the high solvents work as well as some of the other cans of elixiour out there? I'd be more comfortable with the tcw3 than some of the stuff I've heard about? at least I know its' got some lube in it?

How about tcw3 or old tc-w outboard oil? It has lots of detergent/dispersant? I ask because I have alot of it laying around unused I'd like to use somewhere.

I read somewhere that (years ago) LAPD fleet maintenance got away with using SAE 20 motor oil in place of ATF. They said it had to be changed after any hot pursuit. They also sold all their cars before the fell apart.
Now I think they use ATF and keep the cars longer.
I suspect that you coud use ATF to dilute motor oil and get away with it, or use SAE20 to dilute ATF in an emergency. I think it's a bad idea. You couldn't save more than a dollar or so and could ruin the engine.

quote:

Originally posted by AcuraSLX:
I read somewhere that (years ago) LAPD fleet maintenance got away with using SAE 20 motor oil in place of ATF. They said it had to be changed after any hot pursuit. They also sold all their cars before the fell apart.

I heard that in the mid-late 1950s the LAPD used SAE 10 engine oil. Didn't hear anything about having to change it after a pursuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back