Stupid 2015 F-150 Brake Service Questions

A friend has a kinda new to her 2015 F-150 2.7 EcoBoost 4WD; about 90K miles. I have not seen this car.
She asked me to help with the front brakes; there is a slight pulsation.
I figure pads and rotors and was thinking about the Raybestos Element3 pad and rotor from RockAuto for $113. Killer price for great quality...
Stupid question: I don't see a RWD vs 4WD property; is there a difference for the brake parts?
Any other recommendations?
If you know the torque settings, please chime in. Thanks.

I will also do an oil service, with either a Motorcraft or Fram filter and cabin filter.
I will check the truck over and make a plan to change all the fluids, front to read.
I imagine spark plugs can't be too far off?

I appreiate your advice.

The 2WD and 4WD are probably the same. The front brakes seem to be the same. The rear is different depending on whether the truck has the electronic parking brake or a regular mechanical one.

The front hubs are the same diameter whether 2WD or 4WD. Rotors and pads are the same.

If you're talking about the lug torque, my book says 150 ft-lbs.

Is this required on ALL F150's? :unsure:
It depends on the year. I forget when they started specifying it in the catalog, at least 15+ and possibly 11-14 also. On the older trucks those bolts would literally fall out from people not using new ones, or at least using Loc-Tite. I keep the access to the workshop manual up on my primary monitor at work at all times so it only takes me a few seconds to look anything up.

The Raybestos Element 3 are a good choice. Their hybrid technology is better than all ceramic pads.
Wagner Severe Duty is another good choice. They are semi-metallic.
Motorcraft Super Duty is another fine choice. They are also semi-metallic.
Any of the above three would be the ones that I would use.
Centric, Power Stop and other similar brands are bottom feeders and aren’t worth spending money on.

Replacing the caliper bracket mounting bolts, when replacing the rotors, is advised by Ford. Not only that, it just makes sense. Those bolts take a ton of abuse. High torque values, heat, cold, water, corrosion.

Replacing the caliper bracket mounting bolts, when replacing the rotors, is advised by Ford. Not only that, it just makes sense. Those bolts take a ton of abuse. High torque values, heat, cold, water, corrosion.

Some of us in the rust belt pull the brakes apart on a yearly basis to clean off rust and lube the proper places. Normally no parts are required just labor. But maybe I will consider the caliper mounting bracket bolts.

I learned the hard way that new pads on F150s need to be broke in properly or it's just a matter of time before the pulsation comes back. I believe that the Performance Friction website has the procedure spelled out. It basically gets rid of the excess pad binder so it doesn't transfer to the rotors.

Does anyone actually do this?
Me. The truck has 90K and an unknown service history. Gonna do it as "correct" as I possibly can.
I hear some reuse the existing caliper bolts with a drop of blue loctite.
This is for a dear friend's daughter. Safety first.
A whopping $5 from the Ford dealer for bolts that spec 184 pound feet of torque. All good.

Good question. I questioned it myself when I first researched this F-150 brake service.
IMG_20201113_065127.jpg

Last edited:
Back