Stupid 2015 F-150 Brake Service Questions

Do you have any information on this? A website would be great. Thanks.
Just a guess but I'm assuming it's to retract the rear parking brakes? Not sure why you would have to for front brakes but I learn everyday.

If you don't know, the inside and outside pads are different. Make sure you install them correctly or they won't contact the rotor correctly. Pay attention when you take the old pads off :)

No need for brake service mode if only doing the fronts. The parking brake on most 2.7 F150's is electric.

Ford changed the spark plug number, I put in the replacement number at around 60,000 miles. Pretty simple. Only the right rear plug had interference that made it less fun... And frankly, the plugs were in excellent condition and could have easily made 100k. Old habits from breaking 3V plugs made me get in there early...

not sure if it applies to the 2015+ trucks, but:

If you don't know, the inside and outside pads are different. Make sure you install them correctly or they won't contact the rotor correctly. Pay attention when you take the old pads off :)

No need for brake service mode if only doing the fronts. The parking brake on most 2.7 F150's is electric.

Ford changed the spark plug number, I put in the replacement number at around 60,000 miles. Pretty simple. Only the right rear plug had interference that made it less fun... And frankly, the plugs were in excellent condition and could have easily made 100k. Old habits from breaking 3V plugs made me get in there early...

not sure if it applies to the 2015+ trucks, but:

Humps to the inside. I THINK Ford revised the different inner outer pads to be interchangeable. I will find out soon as I am using all Motorcraft parts.

Ford MAY have, but the aftermarket is full of the pads with the ears on them, and the F150 boards for the 2015+ trucks still see posts from folks asking what they did wrong when the pads aren't contacting the rotors correctly...

Also will note that the Ford Manuals state that a lot of fasteners are one time use only. This is not new on the 15+ F150's and dates back to well before then. As one might imagine, there are a ton of these units that have work done on them, and don't have the fasteners replaced every time.... Not saying it is right or wrong, but...

Ford MAY have, but the aftermarket is full of the pads with the ears on them, and the F150 boards for the 2015+ trucks still see posts from folks asking what they did wrong when the pads aren't contacting the rotors correctly...

Also will note that the Ford Manuals state that a lot of fasteners are one time use only. This is not new on the 15+ F150's and dates back to well before then. As one might imagine, there are a ton of these units that have work done on them, and don't have the fasteners replaced every time.... Not saying it is right or wrong, but...
Agreed. My take is, I do not know the history of this vehicle. I will not cut corners. New fasteners will be used. My Bonney torque wrench will make the 184 pound feet a snap!
I generally try to inspect and compare parts for fit, form and function. Ya never know.

27 ft-lbs. for caliper bolts seems high.

DOUBLE CHECK THESE. TRIPLE CHECK. I fell into the Google trap and got bad info.

When I tried torqueing my caliper bolts they "creaked" and went soft at 25ft-lns. Thankfully I could back the bolt out before it broke all the way.

My advice is to have a spare set of caliper bolts, use Loctite and only tighten these to wrenched-snug plus 1/4-1/2 turn.

If I remember correctly I ended up using inch pounds.

When I compressed the pistons something stuck on the pass side. Didn't catch it till 5 miles down the road when I smelled hot brakes. Luckily no damage except my pride. Replaced the caliper and simply reused my pads and rotor.

The Raybestos Element 3 pad combo is exactly what I have. 20k miles on them so far. They are excellent. Good bite, easy and progressive modulation. Lube them up properly.

Without knowing the size and design of the slide pin, it's hard to automatically say that's high. On our son's '12 Accord, the spec is 26 ft/lbs whereas on my G35, it's only 18-20 ft/lbs.

When I tried torqueing my caliper bolts they "creaked" and went soft at 25ft-lns. Thankfully I could back the bolt out before it broke all the way.

My advice is to have a spare set of caliper bolts, use Loctite and only tighten these to wrenched-snug plus 1/4-1/2 turn.
27 pound feet is from the Ford Service Manual.

27 ft-lbs. really isn't that much torque. You can easily hit that with a 1/4" ratchet.

That's the torque value listed in the Ford service manual on my desk. Not saying I always use exact torque, but that's in the ballpark of how I'd tighten by hand anyways.

27 ft-lbs. really isn't that much torque. You can easily hit that with a 1/4" ratchet.

That's the torque value listed in the Ford service manual on my desk. Not saying I always use exact torque, but that's in the ballpark of how I'd tighten by hand anyways.
I have at least 4 torque wrenches. I inherited 2 special ones from my older brother who had a great shop in Santa Cruz, CA. One is a 3/8" Snap On flex head and the other is a large Bonney that goes to 250 pound feet (or more, I forget).

Many people put stuff back together by feel. I welcome the opportunity to use these tools.

Back