2015 Odyssey - Most expensive brake service ever...

My nieces 2105 Odyssey EX-L...
April 2022, 133,500K, I installed Element 3 Pads and rotors. Cleaned up everything, lubed, torqued, etc.

April 2023, 159,000, 25,500 miles since service, Wendy complained of a shake, she took it to local Wheel Works (Firestone), they said it was LCA bushings. Took it to a "good" shop in Santa Cruz. This used to be my brother's shop before he got sick from cancer and passed away at 44. I love the place, on the west side of town by the University. They said it was brake shudder which of course surprised me. Mechanic said he did not like the Raybestos E3 brake components. He resurfaced rotors (front and rear), reused E3 front pads and installed new rear pads. $600.
A month or so ago Wendy said the shudder returned at times, primarily on the freeway. There is a windy, hilly highway between here and Santa Cruz through the Santa Cruz Mountain Range.
Based on @The Critic recommendation, I purchased Honda pads (Ebay $65) and Dynamic Friction Geospec rotors (RA, $60 each).
Today, Aug 2023, 169,000, 10,000 miles since resurface rotors, I installed the new parts. I was disappointed with the shop's work. Way over torqued fasteners, too much lube in the sliders as one slider would not fully compress.

Apparently the brakes may be undersized for the minivan? I've installed the Element 3 on several vehicles including my Tundra (pads only) and on a TSX. Maybe the rotors are not up to the task of a heavy van?

Dunno. Should I plan on brakes every 25K? Let's see what happens. The brakes feel pretty good right now. The Honda pad fittment was like buttah... Nice!

Wendy let me know the brakes feel great; she got home through the hills. I have had good results with the E3 brake components. Not sure I will use them again...
Sorry to hear about your brother.
I never let any mechanic resurface my rotors and charge me a fortune.
I would rather just get new rotors (for Honda Minivans that I own, the genuine Honda rotors are less than $100 each).
Also, I avoid chain repair shops - they have a large incentive to do a repair which costs them $60 and charge you $600, and not even fix the root cause of the problem.

I have 4 Honda Odyssey's (years 2006/2007), and with Honda replacement parts (Rotors + pads) the front rotors last about 50k miles, and the rear rotors last about 75k miles. I get the Honda rotors from a brick and morter Honda Dealer in Massachusetts whose online parts website sells the parts at close to wholesale prices and ships via economy shipping either UPS ground or USPS Priority mail. Then I have a trusted local mechanic do the installation of the parts. He usually charges me $80 per axel labor for the new rotor/pad install (I supply the Honda parts).

I have been on the Odyssey forums for years since I regularly service two of them for close friends. According to many postings, using the Akebono ACT 1089 pads and Centric Premium 120.40092 rotors will alleviate the warped rotor and pulsating brake issue. They reference the video below; however, I prefer to use Honda OEM hardware in lieu of the Centric kit. The pad bedding process is also critical to long term success.

I have been happy for 210k miles with Honda rotors and pads on our 11 Ody.

I think it has a lot to do with the driver. Wife is rough on brakes when she drove it. It is my daily driver now (for last 75k miles) and I am light on brakes and pads last a lot longer for me.

It is a big vehicle with slightly undersized rotors usually driven by moms in a hurry.

My ‘16 Pilot “eats” through the breaks in 20-25K. They look perfect with minimal wear on the pads but highway speed breaking is accompanied with quite heavy vibration in the steering wheel. I just had my front brakes replaced with Duralast pads and rotors for 200$, smooth breaking is back for another 20K or so.

I have been on the Odyssey forums for years since I regularly service two of them for close friends. According to many postings, using the Akebono ACT 1089 pads and Centric Premium 120.40092 rotors will alleviate the warped rotor and pulsating brake issue. They reference the video below; however, I prefer to use Honda OEM hardware in lieu of the Centric kit. The pad bedding process is also critical to long term success.

My hope is the brake components I used this time will do the trick. Time will tell.

I would try and teach her the pulse braking technique. If she never drove on hilly terrain, she probably rides her brakes all the way down trying to keep the speed in control. And that highway has some pretty good amount of sharp turns.
When we used to drive to Santa’s Cruz I saw plenty of people had their brake lights on most of the way down.

Does the Honda have a low gear selector? Teaching her how to use that, plus pulse braking should help with the brakes.

Maybe go for a drive with Wendy, see if her driving style is the factor.
When my wife drives she uses accel and brakes way more aggressively than I do.
It's a nice idea, but it's also futile....

Guys, different people buy the same model. You have people who have a love affair with the brake pedal; you have people who drive fast etc.

1. Honda is very well aware of who drives their cars, the majority of customers etc. It is a calculation how they will design the braking system as that has an impact of mpg, cost etc. Large rotors mean more unsprung weight, which means worse mpg and acceleration. Going undersized rotors means better mpg, more importantly, better mpg on a sticker.
2. Honda can, of course, develop a more robust braking system. Simply saying: "well, maybe it is the driver," means that the braking system does not have a lot of room for "error." or room for people who drive more aggressively. For example, when I had factory-installed brakes (before the upgrade) on my BMW 328, rotors could do 35k of combined street and track driving. Regardless that I used track pads for track time, which are very aggressive on rotors, they would last at least 35k. No vibrating, nothing. And the rotor from ATE (OE supplier) was like $54. That is what happens when the manufacturer designs an appropriate braking system. If the excuse is: well, Wendy drives maybe like this and that," yeah, the first culprit is Honda, then Wendy. What does that mean? "Our braking system is working properly only if..."

The funny thing is that my work colleague texted me last night with this exact problem but on the 2022 Toyota Highlander XLE. I told him: welcome to the crappy world of Toyota brakes. 19,000 miles.

Yeah, Hondas are know for undersized brakes and there aren’t really any options available as far as upgrades go. BMW is a different story since they have performance oriented models on the same platform. But even their normal models have properly sized brakes.

So what’s left? Adjusting the driving style or keep changing them every 30k miles or sooner. I would adjust my driving.

Going undersized rotors
At the end of the day, safety is the biggest factor and I have to believe that, in this example, Odysseys stop just fine. I mean, it's still a 5000# (??) mini-van so it ain't stopping like a hyper sports car nor would anyone expect it to. Does the average owner think "geez, it seems like I replace the brakes on this every 2 years" ? I doubt it.... Brakes wear out and people expect this.

These are very front heavy vehicles, combine that with demanding driving conditions eg hills, hard braking, etc hardly anything will last too long, sure some brands may last longer than others but by any significant amount.
Regardless of the parts used checking the rotor run out and correcting it if necessary is a must.

At the end of the day, safety is the biggest factor and I have to believe that, in this example, Odysseys stop just fine. I mean, it's still a 5000# (??) mini-van so it ain't stopping like a hyper sports car nor would anyone expect it to. Does the average owner think "geez, it seems like I replace the brakes on this every 2 years" ? I doubt it.... Brakes wear out and people expect this.
Emergency stopping is one thing; this is another.
Most cars, including Odyssay, have an acceptable stopping distance from 60mph. The problem is when brakes are overtaxed. When a driver does multiple hard braking or spends too much time on the brake pedal. The size is everything in that case.
Yes, Odyssey will stop fine 60-0 mph. After 3-4 repeated attempts? No, it won't! Could it? Of course, but that is a choice Honda made.
Simply, Honda brakes do not dissipate heat appropriately, and the rotor compound is not designed for such driving.

The culprit is Honda, not Wendy.

Emergency stopping is one thing; this is another.
Most cars, including Odyssay, have an acceptable stopping distance from 60mph. The problem is when brakes are overtaxed. When a driver does multiple hard braking or spends too much time on the brake pedal. The size is everything in that case.
Yes, Odyssey will stop fine 60-0 mph. After 3-4 repeated attempts? No, it won't! Could it? Of course, but that is a choice Honda made.
Simply, Honda brakes do not dissipate heat appropriately, and the rotor compound is not designed for such driving.

The culprit is Honda, not Wendy.
True, but it seems its a minivan thing, to put under achieving brakes in terms of mileage. VW kept the same brake setup on the 2014 Routan as Dodge did on the Grand Caravan. I guess VW thought they were good enough, even though lots of people were doing brakes every 30k miles here in the flatlands!
I would advise Wendy on the simple driving changes that might help her brakes last, and after that she can decide what she wants to do.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough (or rich)!

True, but it seems its a minivan thing, to put under achieving brakes in terms of mileage. VW kept the same brake setup on the 2014 Routan as Dodge did on the Grand Caravan. I guess VW thought they were good enough, even though lots of people were doing brakes every 30k miles here in the flatlands!
I would advise Wendy on the simple driving changes that might help her brakes last, and after that she can decide what she wants to do.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough (or rich)!
Upgrade to rotors that have high carbon content is one if the solutions. It worked for my Sienna.
It is minivan thing and a lotmof manufacturers have this modus operandi in other vehicles. Pilot we have also has junk brakes. Same issue.

If I had to guess, I'm afraid @edyvw is right on this one. Quality parts count, but if the design is subpar, you are fighting an tough battle.
Brakes are a critical component.

I think the E3 rotors are not up to the task for this heavy, FWD vehicle. It shouldn't be that hard. I love Hondas, but this is not good...
We've got a 2013 Odyssey and have tried the Akebono and Raybestos pad and rotor kit from RA. 2 years later, it develops the brake pulsation. Now currently trying the Powerstop Evolution combo, fingers crossed.

Taking a look at hertz used cars for sale, there are 81 Odysseys to 309 Siennas for sale. I know thats not a fair yardstick, but it might tell a story that the Odyssey is not really engineered for hard use at least from the perspective of a large commercial company. This isn't an insult, as its a fine minivan in most all respects. I've recently come to know that my own SUV and 4runners in general eat brake pads and rotors for lunch every 50k also, whereas a pedestrian Corolla can nurse the original brakes to 100k easy.

No, people don't buy Odysseys to autocross, for their looks or their cool factor.
They buy them because they have families and their stuff to carry all over heck. Safely.

Brakes are critical; their job is to stop the vehicle. It ain't the widow with 2 sets of twin girls fault. Safety counts.
Hopefully this combo works for more than a year.

Last edited:
could be the way she drives. I remember I went to visit my sister in Seattle. I used one of her cars and followed her and we went down a long grade and she rode the brake the whole time. i shifted the car into 3 I think to keep my speed under control and didnt have to use the brakes.

Back