2015 Odyssey brake service

Just replaced my niece's front brakes with the Raybestos Element 3 products. The old pads were really good and worn evenly. Everything looked good but Wendy was worried about the minor shudder. I measured a rotor quickly and got a 1.08". Probably was lower than that in spots if I checked more throughly. I think the wear limit is 1.02". I was hoping to see the Honda double shim parts, but no luck. I sucked most of the brake fluid out of the reservoir as I had planned on renewing the fluid as well but that will be for another day. I believe if the rotors had been replaced or turned before there would be no need for this work. Who knows? The Element 3 rotors and pads fittment was fine.
This Oddy, with 133K, lived its life in Arlington, TX. There were zero rust issues, all the work was easy. Except maybe the pad push back springs... I put the top caliper bolt in and swung it up. Then used a cheapie carpenter's clamp to hold the pads together. Not too bad...
PXL_20220413_194449088.jpg

PXL_20220413_194436628.jpg

Last edited:
Had my wife's '16 pilot replaced with Centric rotors paired with Akebono brake pads, and just a shy of 20K miles later shudder/pulsating at highway speeds is back. Brakes look brand new, wife is an easy driver, so not sure what to think

Had my wife's '16 pilot replaced with Centric rotors paired with Akebono brake pads, and just a shy of 20K miles later shudder/pulsating at highway speeds is back. Brakes look brand new, wife is an easy driver, so not sure what to think
That's quality stuff. If there is another problem, I will use factory pads.
I did wire brush down the hub, even though it was pretty darn rust free.
If I were you, I would check rotor runout variation.
Good luck.

Centric rotors are trash imo I never had luck with them . Power stop rotors or OEM

That's what I have on our 2006 TSX; they have at least 60K on 'em and are perfect.

The front brake history on my now-gone 05 Honda Pilot is pretty short.

At 96K the dealer did a rotor resurface and pad slap.

At 172K I put on NAPA Ultra Premium rotors and AdaptiveOne pads. I checked as-built rotor runout, and it was well within spec.

42K miles later I sold it, with beautiful, gleaming rotors and absolutely no brake shudder.

That's just how Honda products are. You have to resurface or replace the front rotors every 20-40K due to pulsation. Normal.

That's just how Honda products are. You have to resurface or replace the front rotors every 20-40K due to pulsation. Normal.
Yep my 2016 odyssey is the same way around 25k i machined the rotors on car with a hunter machine. Probably 20-25 later and it did it again. I’m just living with it for now it’s not too bad and I know it will come back anyways just lazy to work on my own stuff too much customer work

I just shake my head when one of these threads about Odyssey brakes comes up. I must the one lucky guy.

I have the original updated part number on my van for 75k miles with Raybestos Element 3 pads for 45k of that time and have had zero issues. The original part number rotors were garbage, had Honda resurface them twice in less than 20k miles. Third time they were required to replace with them with the updated parts number.

I've driven the van through the mountains of east and central Tennessee twice and they are still as smooth as the day the dealer installed them with the OE pads.

Back