STRAIGHT to red-line revs on startup!

While its not a good idea to rev up to the redline when your engine isn't up to temp, you caught it fast, and stopped it. IMHO I don't think you did any damage.
I concur. It's not optimal by any means; we all know that. But our BITOG brains are calibrated to the most insane level of sensitivity regarding lubes and engines. Overall I doubt you did any real damage whatsoever. You might have taken 13 total minutes of operational lifespan off the bearings in an engine that's likely to go several hundred thousand miles. Or more simply put: it's kind of a moot point.

Shame be upon you, though, for such a careless act.
You are remanded to the corner of the garage ...
Say 10 "Hail Moly's" and 5 "Our Filters" and all will be forgiven.
:ROFLMAO:

I did the EXACT same mistake to my car, the one exception being my foot floored the pedal, not a floormat.

I was under the impression that flooring the gas pedal on cranking start-up would shut off fuel injection. I’ve read that some cars do this to clear a flooded engine. Is this not a common feature? When did that go the way of the dodo?

The vehicle was a 1991 Toyota Previa. It runs fine since, but I doubt the mistake was entirely harmless. I have no way to measure how much wear was created though.

I see a lot of comments about it being fine since it wasn't under load. I've always been under the impression that it's worse if it isn't under load, hence the 4k rpm rev limit many cars used to have in park and neutral. Either way, OP would've known by now if damage was done.

Yeah I drove 100 miles last night doing Uber, and zero issues.
Drove it 10 miles today, zero issues. Phew!

Modern oils are designed to cling to engine parts so there's always a layer of residual lube. This is no substitute for proper oil pressure but I think your 4R will be fine :)

I did that in my 3000GT one time. I started her up, put my foot on what I thought was the clutch to shift her in 1st, BUT what I has my foot on was the gas OMG!! I immediately buried the tach!! Yes I freaked!! My car was fine:D I still remember the oil, Castrol Syntec 10W-40.

Happened to me once while driving. Punched the gas to make it through a light and then when I hit the brakes, the car wasn't slowing and the RPMS were still up there. I put the car into neutral and pulled over while the car was still revving. Shut it off and turned it back on and it shot back up to 4k. Popped the hood to see what was going on and it looked like the throttle cable was hung up. I released the throttle cable and the rpms went back to normal. Reported it to NHTSA and it turned out it was a bad cruise control cable causing the throttle cable to get hung up. I replaced the cable and NHTSA even asked me to send them the bad cable and they paid for the shipping. A few months later I got a recall notice, should have submitted the bill to Ford to get them to cover the cost of the replacement cable.

The salesjerk who i bought my brand new LSA from did this when I was looking at it on the lot.

“I’ll start her up for you mate..”

grabs the keys, hits the starter button and proceeds to Rev it to darn near redline from cold. I said “ok, you can stop now!”

The grinning, greasy moron shuts it off and said what do you think?

I said, “I think you have no idea how to treat a car.”

Anyhow, I still bought It and no issues so far. Admittedly it only has 9000kms on it.

It has an onboard oil temp gauge and I don’t go beyond 3000rpm until it’s around 95 degrees Celsius (203F).

I did the EXACT same mistake to my car, the one exception being my foot floored the pedal, not a floormat.

I was under the impression that flooring the gas pedal on cranking start-up would shut off fuel injection. I’ve read that some cars do this to clear a flooded engine. Is this not a common feature? When did that go the way of the dodo?

The vehicle was a 1991 Toyota Previa. It runs fine since, but I doubt the mistake was entirely harmless. I have no way to measure how much wear was created though.
My 2019 ram and 2018 Grand Caravan still does that. I use it to fill the oil filters when I change them lol

I’m sure it will be fine. I did this on my 2006 Accord once and thought I had fried the engine. It lived on and always ran like a champ. People do this all the time on older GM V6’s to get them started. I doubt you will ever see any issues from this incident.

I went to a Corvette event in Bowling Green Kentucky several years ago and I had my 98 Corvette there at the time. There were several hundred Corvettes at the event. This was in the early 2000's as far as the year was concerned. Some of the owners of the C-5 Corvette's which were the latest models attended. To make a long story short they would start their cars and hold the gas pedal to the floor and let the rev limiter go on and off. There was not a single one of these Corvettes that blew up. I would never run my car on red line and hold it there! I really couldn't hardly believe people would do that to their cars but I do understand that is what a rev limiter is made for and they do work well to save the engine.

I run engine break-in oil for about 200 miles in all my new cars (except Honda). In my new 2021 4Runner, I dumped the factory oil at 8 miles - put in RP 10W30 break-in oil. I have a pretty define break-in process that includes running the engine at load at very varied RPM ranges (up to 4,500 rpms for 60 seconds). At ~200 miles I changed out the break-in oil and filter.... **** if I didn't forget the 4Runner doesn't have a flood start mode .... so..... you can guess what happen... jumps to red-line on start-up .... probably took me 15 seconds for me realize what I just did! Haven't noticed any ill effects....I keep telling myself - "I probably got a great ring seating and cam shaft break-in"....

I run engine break-in oil for about 200 miles in all my new cars (except Honda). In my new 2021 4Runner, I dumped the factory oil at 8 miles - put in RP 10W30 break-in oil. I have a pretty define break-in process that includes running the engine at load at very varied RPM ranges (up to 4,500 rpms for 60 seconds). At ~200 miles I changed out the break-in oil and filter.... **** if I didn't forget the 4Runner doesn't have a flood start mode .... so..... you can guess what happen... jumps to red-line on start-up .... probably took me 15 seconds for me realize what I just did! Haven't noticed any ill effects....I keep telling myself - "I probably got a great ring seating and cam shaft break-in"....
How many miles do you have in your 4Runner now? Still running fine? I did the same thing to my 2022 4Runner with about 2700 miles on the car. I was debating using the flood start mode to prime the motor with oil on my first oil change but luckily I decided to try it on a start up after a 10 minute drive so the motor had freshly circulated oil in it. I’m at 3500 miles now and it still bothers me that I could have potentially taken life out of the motor since I want to keep this car until it rots.

THE reason your car is OK is because you admitted your fault (laying the mat incorrectly). This pleases the car Gods.

1) My Mom had a Saab ('99 9-5 SE) where the foam backing of the mats shrunk and the driver's mat would actually "inch-worm" towards the pedals.
A kick or shove one way or the other would have it go under the gas pedal or atop it. Ha, that's when I found a parts shop which sold single mats.

2) I rebuilt my Corvair engine so I know it was completely bone dry. I made a keyed shaft to turn the oil pump to prime the engine with a 1/2" drill.
NOTE: When the system reached primed the resistance caused the drill the whip out of my hands.
Then, with everything together I touched the ignition key and the engine flew to 7 grand instantly.
That engine DID blow up later however.

Back