STP S7317XL Cut Open

Looks good. (y) That said, if I was looking for this construction type, I'd go ST MP series for $5.50. As for efficiency rating, "I'm" thinking AZ site info left over from previous Premium Guard made the XL. "Speculating", now same as ST MP series.

I like that AZ STP spin on OFs now back to Champ Labs US made. At least that's the case locally and has been for some time now.

As an aside, I installed MP7317 on neighbor's Civic last OC I did for her.

Thanks for c&p.

Last edited:
Pretty bad when the Chinese can make a better filter than the USA can.
I've been saying that for some time now....every Asian built oil filter I've seen or cut open has nice even straight pleats while so many Fram's etc...are wavy with uneven pleat spacing.
Having said this...I believe this STP (with the plastic E-core interior) is American made while the earlier ones were 'Made in China'.

PS: After posting I saw that 53' Stude and Sayjac already said these are 'Made in USA'...

I've been saying that for some time now....every Asian built oil filter I've seen or cut open has nice even straight pleats while so many Fram's etc...are wavy with uneven pleat spacing.
Having said this...I believe this STP (with the plastic E-core interior) is American made while the earlier ones were 'Made in China'.

PS: After posting I saw that 53' Stude and Sayjac already said these are 'Made in USA'...
Sir or PBM: I have a Premium Guard with silicone ADBV from a 18’ KIA soul I’ll post later. It looks like KIA/HYUNDAI clone too 👍🎊

It's 'possible' left coast AZs still have PG made STPXL and lower tier blue can spin ons. But like topic, here, US made Champ Labs OFs.
I took off a blue STP 3614 off a 19’ Fuaion bit ago filter made January this year. First Brands made, baseplate same as ST filters I posted. I already crushed the filter, sorry

I said it was USA made in post #1
Yes you did...I missed it...it might have been the "COO" shorthand that slipped past me.

I was in a AZ in NJ a few months ago that had both the Chinese and USA made STP 7317XL's...I assumed the USA one's were the latest and the Chinese one's were older stock but I could be wrong.

Is Ziggy correct about the efficiency of these being 99% @ 20 microns?.....if so that makes the AZ oil and filter deals with these filters a very good deal...

Back