STP oil treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basic question, is it safe on wet clutches.... does it have any of the "friction modifiers" that wet clutches hate?

I was looking at a VOA and its just a big boost of zddp (which some oil makers claim hdeo oils lack for wet clutches.

Anyone using it on there bikes?

Does it work?

2.50 a pop, its hard to resist

Problem is it is very thick. I would not be concerned about cost so much as getting the best product. You want your machine to work well and for a long time. There are thinner Zddp additives, in fact the Redline stuff, about $12 per 16 oz bottle has tons more zddp and is not thick. It is probaby 8 times more zddp than the STP, so you figure it would cost you $20 to get that much zddp form STP. The redline will treat at one ounce per 2 qts oil to boost zddp about 300 ppm. You can talk to Redline chemist on phone to see if he thinks it's going to be good for your application.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Why not just use an oil that has the additives you want?

+1 With the choices available nowadays, I really doubt we need anything add'l.
thumbsup2.gif

I had a KZ1000 that would foul plugs on long trips from burning quite a bit of oil. Against advice warning of wet clutch problems, I tried STP in the KZ1000. Didn't bother the clutch, but made no difference in oil consumtion or plug fouling so I saw no benefit to using it since.

No experience with STP ... but I do remember the cool stickers from when I was a kid!
wink.gif

Personally, I'm not convinced high ZDDP values are really all that beneficial. I can't cite the chemical reasons for that opinion, but I'll be darned if I can spot a correlation in the UOA's between ZDDP and wear numbers.

Am I just all wet?

From the STP website, for their basic "Oil Treatment" product:

"High-viscosity formula is specially formulated to help fight metal-to-metal friction by providing a thicker cushion between moving engine parts. Excellent for all cars, light trucks and SUVs"

I searched all over their site looking for "technical specifications" or something similar. I might have missed it, but if it's there, it's well hidden.

At any rate, I'm left to wonder:

Q1 -- Does anyone know what STP would say is the specific technical advantage of their product?

Q2 -- Is it possible that the STP oil additive product was of some value back in 1954 when the company was started, but is of lesser value today, because of general improvements in the quality of motor oils?

I've used it in 2 Suzukis, 2 Yamahas, 1 Honda, and 1 Kawasaki - never a problem with the clutch slipping on any of them.

Never used STP in mc but used it in two cars back in the 60's - both engines burned up shortly after putting it in - I don't know

I think a lot of people used STP due to frustration with adding oil real often.
Old wives tale: Once you start using STP you can't stop.

Way back when, 10W-40 was the usual oil most people used; if you started burning oil and wanted to go thicker, STP or Motor Honey were the only option, as I recall.

too many conflicting reports... for those of you that have sad no...why?

clutch failure?

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
I think a lot of people used STP due to frustration with adding oil real often.
Old wives tale: Once you start using STP you can't stop.

Way back when, 10W-40 was the usual oil most people used; if you started burning oil and wanted to go thicker, STP or Motor Honey were the only option, as I recall.

That was one reason, and in the hold Hot Rod magazines they advertised something like "We stay up all night so you don't have too", or something along those lines. They claimed STP kept oil clinging to your engine for easier starts on those cold winter mornings. I have stacks of those old Hot Rod rags from the 60's and 70's that were past on to me. Oil has really evolved.

Quote:
both engines burned up shortly after putting it in

I remember Dad always telling me to make sure the engine was running when adding STP, otherwise it would clog up the oil pump inlet and burn up the bearings...

Quote:
That was one reason, and in the hold Hot Rod magazines they advertised something like "We stay up all night so you don't have too", or something along those lines.

And, remember when Mario Andretti won the Indy 500 in the Granatelli/STP sponsored machine (I think it was 1969) - they asked him why he won - "I used more STP in my engine than the other guys"...
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back