STP oil treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RWEST
Quote:
both engines burned up shortly after putting it in

I remember Dad always telling me to make sure the engine was running when adding STP, otherwise it would clog up the oil pump inlet and burn up the bearings...

Quote:
That was one reason, and in the hold Hot Rod magazines they advertised something like "We stay up all night so you don't have too", or something along those lines.

And, remember when Mario Andretti won the Indy 500 in the Granatelli/STP sponsored machine (I think it was 1969) - they asked him why he won - "I used more STP in my engine than the other guys"...
56.gif

He wanted his competition to use more, hopefully enough to clog up their engines and not even finish the race, so he could win again!

Originally Posted By: RWEST
Quote:
both engines burned up shortly after putting it in

I remember Dad always telling me to make sure the engine was running when adding STP, otherwise it would clog up the oil pump inlet and burn up the bearings...

Quote:
That was one reason, and in the hold Hot Rod magazines they advertised something like "We stay up all night so you don't have too", or something along those lines.

And, remember when Mario Andretti won the Indy 500 in the Granatelli/STP sponsored machine (I think it was 1969) - they asked him why he won - "I used more STP in my engine than the other guys"...
56.gif

I remember that Andretti Ad.

The trick to using STP in the day was to put the can, (it was a round silver lined cardboard container with a flip top), into very hot water. Then let it sit a while in the hot water, and add it to an engine that was warmed up and running. It took forever to get it into the engine. STP might have been the largest selling oil additive of all time 30+ years ago.

Quote:
STP might have been the largest selling oil additive of all time 30+ years ago.

My Dad and Uncle were sold on it - ran it religiously in every company vehicle they had back in the 60's/70's.

I also remember when motorcycles first started using o-ring chains - we were told to use a mixture of STP and 50 weight oil to lube the chain. Wow, what a mess it made when it flung off there for the first 50 miles or so. Thank God for the new no-fling stuff!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back