STP Oil Filters = Engine Failure??

The new Chinese-made STPs seem to be clone of Ecogard/Premium Guard. I won’t use them but if quick lubes are installing them without the Filter Manufacturers Council or Nissan issuing a TSB for aftermarket oil filters, they should be OK.

The new Chinese-made STPs seem to be clone of Ecogard/Premium Guard.....
Not new in these parts. In fact at AZ stores locally and for awhile, the topic 6607 one of the very few blue can STP applications with China coo left. As mentioned, vast majority STP blue now back to Champ US made with newest ecore type construction. Next time I'm in AZ to recycle oil, have to check to see if the 6607 has joined other applications.

Quite a few years ago, just after the turn of the millennium, I cut a lot of oil filters open to see how they were made. STP was among the cheapest, along with Fram and I think Penzoil. The end result has been that I only use OEM or Wix since then, even Supertech was better. I know it has been a pretty long time and things have changed, but if STP and the others were cheap then, I figure they are cheap now.

Having said that, I do not expect any filter to actually fail like so many claim, although a cheap filter is more likely to fail than a good one. The things I noticed as I took filters apart were end caps, valves, pleat quality and quantity, etc. I remember many years ago someone posted a picture of a Fram filter that supposedly blew out. It looked very much to me like the blowout was caused by a 9 mm.

I use Mahle oil filters in my Infiniti, the Maxima that I had before and will use Mahle for my wife's Rogue. Never any issues. FWIW, Nissan filters from the local dealers are made in Mexico by Gonher, and there is nothing special about these.

Back in my 528e era, I ran 3k ocis using STP p2807A filters and STP 20w50 dino. Never once had an oil related failure. YMMV

It sounds to me like Nissan was trying to make excuses for rejecting warranty claims to replace engines.
They may have still covered the repair since nothing was mentioned about the claim being denied. Hopefully anyways.

I don't think STP makes anything. They are just an old fashioned car brand that has vendors for all it's parts.

I wouldn't worry about it. Champ makes so many brands now.
Yup, it changed hands a pile of times, was owned by CLOROX for a while and is now owned by "Energizer" (yes, the battery company).

Having said that, I do not expect any filter to actually fail like so many claim, although a cheap filter is more likely to fail than a good one. The things I noticed as I took filters apart were end caps, valves, pleat quality and quantity, etc. I remember many years ago someone posted a picture of a Fram filter that supposedly blew out. It looked very much to me like the blowout was caused by a 9 mm.

Of all the issues found and shown by BITOG members here over the last 10 years, even the low end Fram EG doesn't seem to have as many issues as some other brands. Of course, the Purolators (and Purolator built) filters with tearing media took the top prize.

They may have still covered the repair since nothing was mentioned about the claim being denied. Hopefully anyways.
He told me that if an STP oil filter was seen on the engine at the time the claim was made it would be instantly denied.

He told me that if an STP oil filter was seen on the engine at the time the claim was made it would be instantly denied.
Your co-worker is a former Nissan Tech? He must have worked for an unscrupulous dealer. There is nothing wrong with STP filters. However, any replacement filter needs to have very similar specifications to the OE filter.
Don’t always believe what you are told.

STP had its glory days back when Andy Granatelli "King" Richard Petty was around.
FIFY!

You're both right!

1640867822176.jpg

Back