stock market

I wonder if the musk out some $$ in at the top? 🤣🤣

Those reddit kids got their bums handed to them today and rightfully so.
Why? You don't think the hedge funds manipulate the market?
They just got beat at their own game.
The reddit team did nothing illegal; they just played the game better.
Most of the stock was probably bought by the short sellers trying to get out.

And how do you know the reddit team were the ones left holding the bag?

I think we are going to see more of this and more often.

TD A and RobinHood restricted the trade (I can buy with TDA, the news article said it is some restriction but not restriction on buying, RobinHood on the other hand I was told it is a restriction to buy). I bought a few shares after the news for fun ($197 ea) before the market close, just for fun and to stick it to the man, seems like it is at $270 aftermarket. Just wonder what it will be like tomorrow, but no matter the out come it will be more fun than Vegas.

It is a very dangerous precedent. Think it through. What if activist investors turned on TSLA for some reason? AAPL, you name the company.

This is a disrupting action that could have very serious consequences for investors down the road, even the average Joe.

It is a very dangerous precedent. Think it through. What if activist investors turned on TSLA for some reason? AAPL, you name the company.

This is a disrupting action that could have very serious consequences for investors down the road, even the average Joe.
Please. If the hedge funds can manipulate stocks with their immense power, so can anyone else.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right?
If you are suggesting regulating the market, it needs to go both ways.
In fact. RobinHood is penalizing individual investors while favoring Wall St Hedge funds by restricting their trades, right?
Isn't that protecting the big guys and market manipulation?

Regarding Tesla, it is the 2nd most shorted stock after Apple.
You think the short holders didn't try to post every bad piece of information they could muster?
Even BITOG anti Musk and Tesla posts were what, 10 to 1 over positive posts? "Gonna tank any day now..."
Tesla shorts lost $40B in 2020.

This has been the history of trade since stone age. There are always manipulators, and often their values are propped up or suppressed either because they are "too big to fail" or destroyed due to "national security" reasons. (hint: SuperMicro was cleared by Amazon and Apple that there is no such thing as "spy chip sandwiched inside PCB", but Bloomberg just ran with the fake news to destroy this commodity server maker because it is eating into the profit of Dell/EMC and HPE. Bloomberg didn't get punished for the fake news, SuperMicro suffered)

Except this time, they thought they could turn off the life support of some companies in vegetative state, but their BFF came with vengences.

Or maybe, they just messed with a king maker in the shadow and got punished, and it was not about the Reddit.

What makes you think this didn't already happen to Tesla and that is why the stock price is so high today? The stock price rise forced a lot of the shorts out of the stock.

I am not against the actions but against the intent. I’m not a fan of hedge funds but they are there and they serve a purpose. Investors that use their services are typically High Net Worth investors.

What happened is activism and it is speculative. The average Joe has no business getting into these kinds of trades. I wonder how many of these investors were on margin?

It’s just like touting 2X or 3X ETFs. You can do very well or you can get your bum handed to you every which way but loose. A lot of people just see the chance to make it big and don’t think of the alternative.

Mistakes were made on both sides. Robin Hood should have allowed the trades to be cleaned up. Shutting down investors might have a consequence for RH. we will have to wait and see. A simpler action would have been to halt trading in GME and keep it that way. They kept opening it and stopping it during the session.

What makes you think this didn't already happen to Tesla and that is why the stock price is so high today? The stock price rise forced a lot of the shorts out of the stock.
Yup, everyone gangsters trying to short Tesla until the oil prince and Softbank started squeezing them.

I am not against the actions but against the intent. I’m not a fan of hedge funds but they are there and they serve a purpose. Investors that use their services are typically High Net Worth investors.

What happened is activism and it is speculative. The average Joe has no business getting into these kinds of trades. I wonder how many of these investors were on margin?

It’s just like touting 2X or 3X ETFs. You can do very well or you can get your bum handed to you every which way but loose. A lot of people just see the chance to make it big and don’t think of the alternative.

Mistakes were made on both sides. Robin Hood should have allowed the trades to be cleaned up. Shutting down investors might have a consequence for RH. we will have to wait and see. A simpler action would have been to halt trading in GME and keep it that way. They kept opening it and stopping it during the session.

First off, it is a free country. If gaming is legal in Nevada and everyone can go to Nevada, I have no problem if they want to game on Reddit or Wall Streets as long as they don't need a bail out. Average Joe on margin is between them and the brokers. If the brokers didn't have enough liquidity they shouldn't be in business to begin with. Average Joe knows what they are getting themselves into if they are on margin.

Many people, especially the young gamers who were fed up with Wall Streets, just think of it as donation to a charity to stick it to the man. I put in a few bucks to buy a few shares just to stick it to the man too, so far it seems like it is up $100 after market, I don't mind this go down with the ship, it is fun to see the wall street burn.

RH has been iffy and their investors probably made enough to do this once, they will get the back lash one way or another anyways, you cannot please both the hedge funds and the low net worth investors. Remember, they are clients of both the hedge funds and the individual investors so they can do these trades for FREE. Those individuals know what they sign up for.

Many people, especially the young gamers who were fed up with Wall Streets, just think of it as donation to a charity to stick it to the man. I put in a few bucks to buy a few shares just to stick it to the man too, so far it seems like it is up $100 after market, I don't mind this go down with the ship, it is fun to see the wall street burn.

But you see, this is not investing. It is a targeted action against a entity, in this case a hedge fund. It is similar to protesting.

Think about this, suppose you like millions of other investors have your investments in say Charles Schwab or Vanguard or you name the company and that company gets targeted in a similar fashion for something you have no control over. This is why I believe it’s a slippery slope.

I have invested since 1985. I have learned to keep emotions out of the process. Invest by the fundamentals. Keep things simple. I may disagree with a company’s political leaning or their product but if they are profitable and sound then they are good in my book. One example is the tobacco companies. I don’t smoke and I discourage smoking but I invested in them anyway and over time many of them adapted and diversified into other industry sectors.

The rich will always be there and they will always get richer. I don’t envy them nor detest them. I concentrate on my own life.

There is no activist group that could manipulate AAPL, with the size of their float. LMAO.

But you see, this is not investing. It is a targeted action against a entity, in this case a hedge fund. It is similar to protesting.

Think about this, suppose you like millions of other investors have your investments in say Charles Schwab or Vanguard or you name the company and that company gets targeted in a similar fashion for something you have no control over. This is why I believe it’s a slippery slope.

I have invested since 1985. I have learned to keep emotions out of the process. Invest by the fundamentals. Keep things simple. I may disagree with a company’s political leaning or their product but if they are profitable and sound then they are good in my book. One example is the tobacco companies. I don’t smoke and I discourage smoking but I invested in them anyway and over time many of them adapted and diversified into other industry sectors.

The rich will always be there and they will always get richer. I don’t envy them nor detest them. I concentrate on my own life.
That is your way to play the market. That's fine.
The Reddits did nothing wrong; nothing illegal.

You lose me when you disapprove of manipulation by individual investors but approve of Wall Street manipulation.

That is your way to play the market. That's fine.
The Reddits did nothing wrong; nothing illegal.

You lose me when you disapprove of manipulation by individual investors but approve of Wall Street manipulation.

I guess it depends what the meaning of manipulation is?

Anyway we shall have to agree to disagree. With that said I’m out of this thread. I don’t want to get it locked.

Back