Son just got license, Wow! $1300 a year insurance increase, liability only...

It all depends on the state, unless they are a named exclusion on the policy its still no different than anyone else driving the car. I do know that companies like Hagerty specifically state no one under 25 is allowed to operate the vehicle. Like so many other things its all in the fine print. I had several agents tell me that you are under no obligation to report new drivers in your household but if asked and you lie its trouble. I never told and they never asked.
In NYS the car is covered by the insurance not the driver. So if your kid got into a accident insurance would cover everything. But I guarantee your kid is then added to the policy

Pay the $$$$$ so if there is an accident the $$$ spent will seem like a good deal

My policy didnt have that exclusion and to answer your question "Yes" I did try my luck and saved thousands.
One of the boys had a minor accident and we repaired it at home and had a friend paint the new hood and fender. That was part of the plan, anything small got handled in house.
It is the lawsuit that you should be worried about (someone got rear ended can easily sue you for 30k-200k these days, nonsense IMO).

It is the lawsuit that you should be worried about (someone got rear ended can easily sue you for 30k-200k these days, nonsense IMO).
Not nonsense. Too many times, that's the only way to recover all medical expenses and lost wages. Insurance companies want to settle quickly and don't give a hoot about the victim who did nothing wrong and got rear ended and now has to suffer.

Not nonsense. Too many times, that's the only way to recover all medical expenses and lost wages. Insurance companies want to settle quickly and don't give a hoot about the victim who did nothing wrong and got rear ended and now has to suffer.
I got rear ended once and the person who rear ended me tried to sue me for medical injuries. I guess the ambulance chaser lawyer forgot who did the hitting and who was hit. The insurance company handled it and I never heard from them again.

Back