Son just got license, Wow! $1300 a year insurance increase, liability only...

Some states, such as North Carolina, will not issue a first driver's license to a teen without proof he/she is on someone's insurance. Ran into this with coworkers who lived in N.C. and worked in Virginia; their kids back at home couldn't get their licenses without insurance.

Allowing your teen to use your vehicle without coverage is a bad idea anyway, but that's getting harder to get away with.
So if someone doesn't have a car, they can't get a driver's license first in order to buy a car to get it insured?

You have to have access to a car to get a learner's permit, which is required before a full license.
I have helped friends get learner's permits, but I never put them on my insurance. Plus when I got my license, I used the car from the driver's school.

My 16 year old daughter added $500/year to policy with no additional vehicles. We did get her a vehicle and 2013 Acura ILX added another $380/year full coverage beyond the $500 upcharge. Before she was added two vehicles /drivers were $900/year.

$1300 seems steep but what was your policy before teen added?

Our daughter got added onto our Allstate policy when she was 18-19. It added about $500/yr to our policy, on top of just having the car she drives on it. "Her" car is registered under my name. She's 20 now, going to college full time, working, paying for her own school and living at with us. She wires me $100 each month for car insurance. I can very much trust and rely on her.

My 18 and 16yr/old boys don't have their licenses yet because there's no way I'll be able to add them onto my policy, nor would I be willing to. They know this..

It's going to be a tough row to hoe. Not only are decent used vehicles unobtainable at the moment, car insurance for a young male is like ~$4000/yr for basic coverage on a used vehicle that's reasonable to insure.

What I don't understand is how the parents of TWO teenagers are affording it AND buying their kid a $40k car.... Please, someone, please tell me how you do THAT.
High income level and/or high tolerance for monthly payments?

I could see how some dual income white collar households could do it. Wish I was one of them!

This can't be that much of a surprise, can it? Please tell me you've never had a conversation with other parents or overheard something like this or even read about it on forums?? You had no idea how much it costs to add a teenager to your policy??

I've always known. What I don't understand is how the parents of TWO teenagers are affording it AND buying their kid a $40k car.... Please, someone, please tell me how you do THAT.
I live in affluent area and the price point is about $20k-$30k for used or new (Jetta) nice vehicle for your teen or even one case teens.

Parents make a few hundred thousand to million per year. I do know a few parents though I that income range buying the kid the ugly beige 2010 Accord base model as first car too. But still a $7k spend there.

The first part of your statement is comical. The second part sounds like you've been doped by sensational journalism. It's not that young people aren't interested in driving. They're definitely interested. Including "young people" being those under 30, a lot of them are going into tech/IT fields, of which most jobs are in big cities with dense traffic, high insurance, bad roads, constant construction, and the most aggressive drivers on the planet. That's the group of people those kind of articles hone in on to push a sensational narrative. For them, driving is too much of a hassle so public transportation or finding a job to work from home becomes more appealing.
Wait what you're telling me is that public transportation or living close to your job might be good ideas? Amazing. Regardless, that seems pretty reasonable for a newly licensed teenage driver. It's high but so is the risk, blame the underwriters and actuaries.

Yes, in the USA everything is covered. I never knew it could be any other way, surprising in Canada you would not be covered.
Some years ago one of my professors ran into another of my other professors while impaired. He caused a lot of damage to his own BMW and to the Mercedes. Insurance didn't cover either vehicle because he was legally impaired. Probably got a DUI charge as well. An expensive lesson I'd have to think.

Some years ago one of my professors ran into another of my other professors while impaired. He caused a lot of damage to his own BMW and to the Mercedes. Insurance didn't cover either vehicle because he was legally impaired. Probably got a DUI charge as well. An expensive lesson I'd have to think.
Weasel insurance company especially for victim if the owner has no other money.

Fortunately the camera speeding ticket doesn't show up on her record, further proving my very opiniated voice that they are all about the money.
A parking ticket doesn’t show up on your record either, it’s a deterrent to stop people from breaking the law.
It can’t show up on your daughter’s drivers license because the camera doesn’t know who is driving the car. It’s just the car with the violation and the owner is responsible.

I have helped friends get learner's permits, but I never put them on my insurance. Plus when I got my license, I used the car from the driver's school.
I had to have a minimum of 50 hours of drive time, all written down in a log to get my license, with 10 hours minimum of that being at night. Those people all had to be over 25, related/a spouse, or I could do it with drivers Ed since I was under 18.

I don’t remember what my insurance was when I was 16, but I was paying about $2,600 a year when I was 18 when I had my Kia Forte Koup.

Weasel insurance company especially for victim if the owner has no other money.
Not a weasel company if the rules are clear beforehand. In Canada everyone knows - if you drive drunk you have no insurance.

Your insurance will cover you if you're hit by an impaired driver. But then it will recover the money from the impaired driver.

In this case the owner was able to pay. But I'll bet it stung.

1300 a year is nothing in the year 2022. I've been driving for 25 years, when I was a kid I would pay the Allstate man $125 per month for very basic insurance.

We pay 1600 for full coverage for two cars for the full year.

My coworker's 17-year-old son just wrecked his 4-cylinder Accord for the second time since he turned 16, and this time he totaled it. What did she replace it with? A Maxima. Cell phones have made questionable drivers into horrible drivers.

The fact that you don't have to cash in your 401k to pay for a teenager's insurance is a surprise to me.

My coworker's 17-year-old son just wrecked his 4-cylinder Accord for the second time since he turned 16, and this time he totaled it. What did she replace it with? A Maxima. Cell phones have made questionable drivers into horrible drivers.

The fact that you don't have to cash in your 401k to pay for a teenager's insurance is a surprise to me.
Sounds like Mom needs to stop fixing Jr.'s problems.

Doesn't Los Angeles have decent public transportation? I'm from Chicago and high school teens don't care about driving that much. They don't even offer it in high schools and you have to go out to a private driving place. I guess, we have a lot of buses and subways though.

My folks wouldn't put me on their policy, so I paid my own insurance for my own car when I turned 16 and got my license. IIRC, it was about what you were quoted...but it was 37 years ago..........and alarmguy: "Same with me, exactly. That’s when you were taught to be responsible for yourself"

I know things have changed tremendously since I was a new driver 48 years ago, but I worked during high school. My grand daughters are new drivers and they have part time jobs in high school. One of them graduated high school early, and on the national honor society. It's still very doable without sacrificing learning. Many parents I run into now-a-day seem to think that scholastics and/or sports earn a free ride for their kids. I don't get it, but I am VERY old school. And, as stated above, affluent people don't have to be concerned about all this.

GEEZ , I hate sounding like an old man, LOL.

Last edited:
Back