Son just got license, Wow! $1300 a year insurance increase, liability only...

I don't have kids, but this forum told me to shop around for insurance and I ended up switching to Geico and paying a third of what I was paying progressive. I hope you have the same luck if you decide to shop around.

Just think, about 20 percent of all drivers have no insurance at all. About 16 percent have no drivers license. So you pull up to a red light and there are 10 cars there; chances are 2 drivers have no insurance and 2 have no drivers license. It's out of control and guess who's paying for it?

The first part of your statement is comical. The second part sounds like you've been doped by sensational journalism. It's not that young people aren't interested in driving. They're definitely interested. Including "young people" being those under 30, a lot of them are going into tech/IT fields, of which most jobs are in big cities with dense traffic, high insurance, bad roads, constant construction, and the most aggressive drivers on the planet. That's the group of people those kind of articles hone in on to push a sensational narrative. For them, driving is too much of a hassle so public transportation or finding a job to work from home becomes more appealing.
Going to have to disagree with you here. While I made my daughters get their licenses at 16 so I wouldn't have to drive them everywhere, most of their freinds, both male and female, weren't in any rush to get their license. In my day, we wanted a license so we had freedom and to see our friends. These days, seeing your friends is taking a second to look down on your phone and push a button. Instant gratification. No need for a car to do that, plus a lot of parents are real happy to chauffeur their kids around everywhere. Sure, when they are in the work world its a requirement, but that wasn't what the OP was talking about.

Look into their own separate policy. Some companies will issue them and if comparable, it elimates you from rate increase due to his driving and also some liability. If on your policy it leaves you wide open for lawsuits IMO

I see lots of Liberty Mutual commercials on TV, why not give them a shot.
Last time I shopped them, they had the highest quote. Gotta pay for those commercials somehow. I've been with Geico for a while, they're a little cheaper because they don't have agents so they don't have to pay a 10% commission. Got insurance with them once at 10pm at night. Was just driving back from buying a car and as I had given them the vin number earlier, they were able to insure it that day. Allstate was also cheaper by a tiny bit, but looking at their quote, they paid a one time discount and after the discount went away the next year, they would have been $50 higher. Didn't want to switch to save $50 one year and then switch again the next.

I knew it'd go up quite a bit , but man, that much? I have Mercury. Time to shop around. Any other lower cost, decent insurance carriers that might be cheaper?
Utilize the services of a broker who can shop the rates of many insurance companies for the lowest rate. Put him on your least valued car that's titled to you.

Going to have to disagree with you here. While I made my daughters get their licenses at 16 so I wouldn't have to drive them everywhere, most of their freinds, both male and female, weren't in any rush to get their license. In my day, we wanted a license so we had freedom and to see our friends. These days, seeing your friends is taking a second to look down on your phone and push a button. Instant gratification. No need for a car to do that, plus a lot of parents are real happy to chauffeur their kids around everywhere. Sure, when they are in the work world its a requirement, but that wasn't what the OP was talking about.

The high school 2 miles down the road from me broke ground last week on an expansion of the student parking lot for the next school year because the past 3 years have seen the highest percentage of students driving to school in the school's 40 year history. Students have been parking on the side of the road, in the grass, etc...

The high school 2 miles down the road from me broke ground last week on an expansion of the student parking lot for the next school year because the past 3 years have seen the highest percentage of students driving to school in the school's 40 year history. Students have been parking on the side of the road, in the grass, etc...
Just my observation, you can have yours too.

Switched to Geico from Amer Family. They wanted $320 more a year with worse coverage than Geico. So really more like $400 a year if all was equal. I do have a Geico agent that has been great to work with. For my second six months with them I received a DETAILED statement 6 weeks in advance to look at. Found one error and it was quickly fixed. Progressive is pond scum compared to Geico. My Amer Family agent said they hate Hybrids thus the high rates.

I remember when my father put me on the family policy, my insurance for 6 months was more than they paid a year. I paid for mine as I had a job.

I see lots of Liberty Mutual commercials on TV, why not give them a shot.

I hope you're being sarcastic. Man, they were crazy high when I quoted them but like someone said it's almost random so worth checking. Geico, who is the head demon, Allstate and Progressive have been my lowest choices over the years.

My 16 year old daughter added $500/year to policy with no additional vehicles. We did get her a vehicle and 2013 Acura ILX added another $380/year full coverage beyond the $500 upcharge. Before she was added two vehicles /drivers were $900/year.

$1300 seems steep but what was your policy before teen added?

usually its high the first 6 mo to a year and then it goes down if they stay clean. this is usually the highest risk time for a new driver. also, do you have enough vehicles that he is considered a full time driver?

Your avatar states LA. I'm in NY and 50 years old with no tickets or accidents and I'm $900-$1200 depending on the vehicle. 2012 RAV4 is $900! 2015 F150 is still up there at $1200. I have to add my 16 year old end August/begin September and I'm shaking :oops:
Don't tell the insurance company about the new teen driver most times they don't know. Remember the car is insured not the driver. Your car can be robbed and get totalled it's still insured.

I knew it'd go up quite a bit , but man, that much? I have Mercury. Time to shop around. Any other lower cost, decent insurance carriers that might be cheaper?

We have 2 sons, 18 month apart! I can promise you it was not fun with insurance... We paid more for them than my wife and I did for everything else including house, cars, camper, umbrella etc. FWIW $1,300 for one, seems in the ball park for what I recall. Full disclosure we have the 3 vehicles in my signature so nothing fancy!

just my $0.02

A teenage boy that doesn't want to drive ? What planet are you on ? ;)
You would be surprised at how many parents have to make their sons get their licenses. I was. Teen boys of today aren't like we were in our teens. I don't know why. I think you have to watch out for teen girls more than boys today. They cannot leave their phones alone.

Don't tell the insurance company about the new teen driver most times they don't know. Remember the car is insured not the driver. Your car can be robbed and get totalled it's still insured.
That's typically not how it works. If the teen lives in the same household and isn't on the policy, if the teen gets into an accident, the teen isn't covered. Comprehensive is different from collision. Only way around that is to swap cars with someone else. Knew a guy who used to get speeding tickets all the time, he didn't care because he drove his girlfriends car and they were at separate addresses so he wasn't on the policy.

Back