Something wrong with Quaker State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had heard years ago that Pennzoil had sludge problems, but hadn't heard about QS.. It sounds like those issues have been resolved now?

Originally Posted By: Ashtray77
I can't find many recommendations for Quaker State on this site, is there something wrong with it? Thanks

People here tend to think with their dipsticks.

In the early 1980's, QS did have a 'bad batch' that went out.

The PPD's were defective, and many engines seized or broke trying to start during a cold winter in the Northeast.

QS did pay out on engine claims, but it wasn't 'hundreds of thousands' as Arco so factually tries to claim...as usual....

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
funny u should ask, I had just called Advanced Auto and ask them what the top 3 oils were sold at their store, he said PP, Castrol and its a mix after that. But Q State does not do well here, Cookeville tn, on I 40. Must be the old story of Q.state causes sludge, thats what he said. I dunno know.

I would think most QS users buy it at Walmart not AAP

Funny today I saw the first Quaker State commercial I've seen since I can remember. Got a 5w20 5 quart jug for $10.. figured I'd use it to thin down the 10w30 and 10w40 I got when my Festiva was leaking oil. If the wife allows I might get another 5w30 jug.. already have enough for two changes now though.

Originally Posted By: Ashtray77
I can't find many recommendations for Quaker State on this site, is there something wrong with it? Thanks

Ashtray77,

I tried Quaker State "Q" synthetic oil in 5W-30 and found it to be an excellent oil to use if so desired. My standard is Mobil 1 but will use the "Q" as a second back-up if M1 isn't available. Use it in confidence if you want to try it.

Durango

This fall I pick up some QSGB at Menards for $1.49 qt.after instore rebate.

Andy

I'm really kicking myself for not trying the AD when they had that $10 rebate. I've heard good things about it.

QS lost me when they went to the oil of the month deal and bought Slick 50.

I did use Deluxe 10W40, Super Blend 10W30 and HD30 in the 70's and 80's without any issues until that bad batch came out. A quick oil change fixed that, and the motors lasted until I broke them and stayed nice and clean in side.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Hendrick MotorSports seems to like QS.

With family and close connections to NASCAR, don't always believe the stickers slapped on the cars or the commercials you see on television. It may not be much more than business associations and that's it.
56.gif

Quaker State has a history of sludging that will never go away. Therefore people do not buy it. Besides you can get MC5K or Havoline DS which are better oils for a buck more.

At $10 a jug it is perfect for my leased Legacy. Wife's Tribeca has QS synthetic which at $18 is a good deal for the family sled.

Originally Posted By: BeanCounter
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Hendrick MotorSports seems to like QS.

With family and close connections to NASCAR, don't always believe the stickers slapped on the cars or the commercials you see on television. It may not be much more than business associations and that's it.
56.gif

Well, you have made the accusation, now prove they do not use Quaker State in those cars.

Originally Posted By: rewote500
Quaker State has a history of sludging that will never go away. Therefore people do not buy it. Besides you can get MC5K or Havoline DS which are better oils for a buck more.

It is still the number two selling PCMO in North America.

@Beancounter

This reminds me of a story told by one of my friends who is/was a huge NASCAR fan (well before I ever was). His 'guy' was (the late) Davey Allison, some may remember he drove the Havoline #28 car.

Well my friend had a garage pass this time (maybe it was at 'Dega?) and he looked in, and there the techs were, filling the newly installed motor with...

Mobil1.

Gotta love it!

----
Retold story, but no reason to doubt it.
M1 user, but no affiliation, etc, etc.

I have used various QS labeled oils over the years.
I have never had an engine blow up, I have never seen any sludge, nor even any real varnish.
Nothing wrong with Quaker State.
If you want to use it, or find the price attractive, use it without hesitation.
Heck, at 1K, I dumped the factory fill in our Forester, and put QS 10W-40 conventional in it for the next 3K.
If I had had any doubts about the oil, would I have put it in our new machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back