Something that truly calmed my OCD

So I was looking for a Wix 51394. Found it on amazon for a great price. Bought it, and of course cut it open. It was made in mexico and it looked pretty decent. And I know for the most part Wix has a decent reputation for their non XP line of filters. I wanted to order some more but amazon only let me order 2 period. And this website has definitely given me what I refer to as Oil & Filter Acquisition Disorder, or OFAD for short.

I scoured the internet and found a box of 12 filters at an auto parts reseller 51394MP. The price was right and I ordered. You See these filters fit my Prius Prime, and my Champion 15/12 generator. So I'll use them up easily in 4 years I estimate. I run the generator a LOT.

Anyways this is where my OCD is calmed. I figured it was a box of 12 filters in their individual cardboard boxes. However it was 12 filters each in it's own cellophane full filter wrap. I LOVE IT! I've never liked how open and exposed filters where in the box to contamination. This made be very happy.

I am sure all the wise Oil sages here knew this already, but I am a total scrubby noob and I am happy as tickled pig right now.

Have a pleasant evening Chaps, and Lasses.

OFAD, I like that. 😄
Have been affected by OFAD myself in the past, when it's time to replenish the filter stockpile. Thankfully, I'm currently stocked up on filters for a couple years or so.
You know you have OFAD bad, when you're contemplating buying some HPL and shipping to Canada is pretty much the same price as the Oil in USD! LOL It's a burden to bear, but I bear it willingly I'm hooked =P

Last edited:
I am not a total fool, I realize people have used filters in these boxes for decades and engines haven't blown up in the millions. I am just saying I have always preferred filters that covered the inlets. Like I have seen in my OEM Toyota Filters, and now these Wix. I am sure there are many more. I only have limited experience. I have seen Amsoil comes wrapped too it seems.

I am not a total fool, I realize people have used filters in these boxes for decades and engines haven't blown up in the millions. I am just saying I have always preferred filters that covered the inlets. Like I have seen in my OEM Toyota Filters, and now these Wix. I am sure there are many more. I only have limited experience. I have seen Amsoil comes wrapped too it seems.
I loved the individually wrapped aftermarket filters for my Allison transmissions until I talked to an Allison engineer at a trade show. I asked him why Allison doesn't do that. He said a rising cause of transmission failure was caused by little bits of that plastic wrapping from someone piercing the wrapping over the center tube with a pen or a screwdriver and that piece falling in and blocking a passage.

I'd been popping the filters open with a pen up to that point. 🙋‍♂️

Yes he might have been full of it, but it sure made sense to me. I still like the wrapped filters but I'm careful how I unwrap them now!

I loved the individually wrapped aftermarket filters for my Allison transmissions until I talked to an Allison engineer at a trade show. I asked him why Allison doesn't do that. He said a rising cause of transmission failure was caused by little bits of that plastic wrapping from someone piercing the wrapping over the center tube with a pen or a screwdriver and that piece falling in and blocking a passage.

Yes he might have been full of it, but it sure made sense to me. I still like the wrapped filters but I'm careful how I unwrap them now!
Thank you. I'll take that into consideration!

I’ve been unwrapping the Subaru Fram service filters at the dome end, while for Toyota Thai Denso, from the crimp of the filter can. No need to introduce FOD into the canister.

Cool, I don't have to cut one ! Thank you for your sacrifice, lol. Napa gold made in Mexico. I got a dozen for $55.

TKArncF.jpg

Cool, I don't have to cut one ! Thank you for your sacrifice, lol. Napa gold made in Mexico. I got a dozen for $55.

TKArncF.jpg
I got a master pack in the Hyundai / KIA size (51334 I think?) $22 shipped on Amazon (6 or 7 years ago.) It was posted in the deals forum. I still have two left. BTW, also made in Mexico.

rock auto on the filters I wanted were really good price wise, but the 13.00 shipping makes it a little rough...

Back