Something is getting into my chicken coop

These openings are only 1.75” X 3”? It may be an optical illusion, but those look big enough for a young bobcat to squeeze through. Cats have an amazing ability to squeeze through tight spaces and climb just about anything. I’m also assuming that you have plenty of bobcats in your area. I think Coyotes are out of the equation, while pretty smart, they don’t have the climbing skills and ability to squeeze into those tight spaces. 🤔
Going by your observations, I would assume that whatever is getting in is doing so through the top.
5EB77E99-C009-4B6C-839A-15816ED0687B.jpeg

This is some info on bobcats getting into chicken coops.

(Furthermore, bobcats can jump high — your fencing should be tall enough to fully protect chickens because they can easily jump as high as four feet if not more. A bobcat will effortlessly climb a wooden coop to gain access through the roof, and although they are large animals, they can work with just a FEW INCHES of space. Consider adding a cover net to keep them from accessing chickens through the top of your structure.)

I may be way off, but a Bobcat is the first thing that came to mind being in your area.

These openings are only 1.75” X 3”? It may be an optical illusion, but those look big enough for a young bobcat to squeeze through. Cats have an amazing ability to squeeze through tight spaces and climb just about anything. I’m also assuming that you have plenty of bobcats in your area. I think Coyotes are out of the equation, while pretty smart, they don’t have the climbing skills and ability to squeeze into those tight spaces. 🤔
Going by your observations, I would assume that whatever is getting in is doing so through the top.
View attachment 114448
It's this stuff. Add says 2x4 but it's slightly smaller

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220827-222723.jpg
    Screenshot_20220827-222723.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 6
My cousin has several Hens & says the most effective thing he's found is a Goose. Sounds hard to believe but Geese can be VERY Ornery & protective. They're every bit as loud & irritating as a Rooster in my opinion but not as ill tempered toward people/kids.

Earlier today I put a driveway alarm in the coop and barricaded the remaining birds inside the coop. I put the reciever next to my bed.

It's a bobcat.

My alarm went off so I was ready and went to see.

He got in through a break between 2 of the wires that make the rectangle in the material. He jumped up and out the hole.

Ida never guessed a cat that large could fit through just 2 of those rectangles. He/ she is a big cat!

I will have to fix all that tomorrow.

I lost our flock of 10 chickens tro a weasel. They just bite the head off the chicken. They were in an enclosed oak shed at night with the ramps closed. They apparently climbed to the top of the shed and got in between the roof supports. Gave up on chicken after that.

I live in the Southern California mountains. This past winter I happened to look out my kitchen window and saw this big bobcat. It surprised me as it was about 1:30 in the afternoon. I grabbed my phone and snapped a few pics through the window. I have seen bobcats a few times previously but it was either at dawn or just got a glimpse of them in my headlights running across the highway at night. There are plenty of grey squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits for them to eat around here. Chickens would probably be a real delicacy.

Attachments

• Bobcat 02-04-22 1.jpg
    Bobcat 02-04-22 1.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Bobcat 02-04-22 2.jpg
    Bobcat 02-04-22 2.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Bobcat 02-04-22 3.jpg
    Bobcat 02-04-22 3.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 18
gap between ground & lowest chainlink. Need that tied to non-dig under perimeter. Cats or
weasels (we got 'fisher') can go under too. I had it B4 vermin proofing. Now when I let them out I only watch for raptors
and cat. The chickens R so stooopid they don't recoup (I have long guns) when any trouble shows up. Last loss I ran out the back (10 ft door is open on their yard) to see a cat w/1 in its mouth, trippin over the wing as it walked. The other chickens just walked around in circles. Last yr
I got one & didn't loose any chickens that yr. Few yrs ago I lost 2 in 2 wks. I saw no stray feathers (evidence ofa strike, struggle or kill) and chalk that up to raptors (we have red tail).
Just no way to train these Sunday dinner/egg layers I guess~

I wonder if a half-dozen rubber chickens tied to the inside of the fence would work.
'cat hits one, pulls it through the fence, *snap* gets hit in the face with the stretched-out chicken.

Ever since you posted about the bobcat eyeballing your chickens, I figured this would be the outcome.
You are going to have to get rid of the bobcat or give up raising chickens.
Check with Fish and Game. I know they have programs to send out State hunters for problem coyotes. Maybe they have the same for bobcats.

that's the 'legal' way. Shhh, I use the illegal.
Twice a yr the bear would hit our hives. Once when
she/he woke up & once when goin down for that long
winter's nap. Solar, car battery, & barn run ele fence never
zapped it away. Think Yogie: "Honey's good BoBo!" Duh !
The Fish'n Wildlife guy (federal) when invited out said "U guys
gotta gun?" and this is WessMasss (kinda suburban/rural) and a
liberal bastion of gun legislation. I didnt lie but said "This guy's gotta
tag on, yearling cubs, we got close houses." He said "So what." Hummm...

Back