Something Doesn't Add Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
They meant that if there was a control issue that wouldn't simply turn off the engine, and the two MGs, then they would run at maximum speed, and wreck the IC engine.

In a normally functioning system, they just shut down.

If there is anyone who doubts the acceleration-brake override, or still thinks Mr. Sikes is telling the truth, this video should clear things up.

I hope Toyota buries this guy with lawsuits for slander.

Last edited:
I saw that video, and thought to myself what a idiot doing that on a busy highway.

BTW, the video proves nothing, well it does prove that the driver in the video couldn't replicate the glitch, nothing else.

I'm not saying the guy in CA isnt or is a fraud, but the Cop said he saw the brake lights on and the guy braking the car, the engine didn't shut down. Is the Cop wrong too? Something still doesn't add up....and these videos prove nothing more than the people shooting them are themselves idiots.

Last edited:
Like I posted from my tests.

It's only when you brake heavily enough to get into the hydraulics that the engine stops.

And for the engine to continue to drive the wheels, even if it does keep running, the second MG has to have failed too (and into the running position).

Failed accelerator, failed computer (driving the IC engine), and failed MG control unit, PLUS failed brakes, and a battery that manages to drive all these things for more than the couple of minutes that I was able to eek out of one.

Assign a 1:000 risk to each failure, and the possibility of them all occurring at the same time is 1 in a trillion.

Apply a realistic risk (given how many Priuses are on the road, and how many accelerator pedal movements in each per day), and the resultant becomes so close to zero it's not funny.

Hey, I'm tending to agree with you and label the guy in CA as a fraud. The cops testimony or account is troubling though.

But my point still stands, the videos prove nothing. Well the last one proves the driver felt his message to the world was more important than the safety of those around him on the highway.

Originally Posted By: chrome
I thought page 2 and 3 of the report indicates the Prius' pads were worn down and the front rotors grooved? Or am I reading it wrongly?

The latest report is that the black box recorded that the guy switched back and forth between the accelerator and brake around 250 times. That's how he burned up the brakes in his fake runaway escapade.

There are several things that don't add up:

1) How can a guy with 700,000 dollars of defined debt as well as about 200,000k of undefine debt (people haven't taken him to court for past shady real estate dealing because he filed for bankruptcy) driving around in a new Prius. I don't owe anyone beside my mortage company anything and I drive a 1992 Corolla.

2) His license plate says "Frugal 08". This guy is anything but frugal. He made over a million dollars in real estate scam during the housing bubble. Now he owes close to a million after filing bankruptcy. If that's frugal than I must be a Ghandi.

3) Did you guys see him wearing the Covertte Owner Club jacket/shirt when he held a press conference?
a) Who the heck calls a press conference after a near death exprience? Even celebrity don't do that 99 out of a 100 time unless they have a movie, cd, or a product to sell.
b) Any self-respecting Corvette owner could bring any vehicle to a complete stop safetly, stuck gas pedal or not.

4) This guy refused to reach for the shifter inches away because he didn't want to take his hands off the steering wheel but he was on the phone for over 26 mins (I heard the whole thing)

5) He was afraid that putting it in Neutral would flip it or knock it into Park/Reverse. When was the last time someone with an Automatic knock a shifter all the way to park/reserve while trying to put a shifter into Neutral. It takes real effort to do that and the car would ignore it for safety reason unless traveling speed is slow enough where reserve motion is logical. He didn't seem to have the same problem once his police alibi shows up.

6) Why lawyer up so fast if you haven't been charged or even accused? Also, did you just happen to get the same lawyer that represent the estate of the dead california cop that also called 911 and couldn't bring his car to a stop. It is a perfect setup using the same highway, same lawyer, and same type of 911 emergency. Sikes was a cop and he knows how the system works.

7) Last but not least: His last name is Sikes and he's a career crooks that manage to evade the law all these year, even being the law himself for a long while. Back in the 90s, Sikes is what you say when you are not being serious. For example, this accident was a Sike, aka hoax.

Just imagine how someone would feel if their loved one was killed because of the stunt. Driving 90 mph in a Prius one-handed while activively trying to trick the 911 operator, who did an excellent job of helping someone she thought was in serious need of help. Listening to the tape, this Sikes is a good actor, making the conversation barely audible on his end to prove he's in a panic.

He reminds me of that old con-man in Lost that went by the name Soyer the fooled women into giving him money, tricked his son into giving him a kidney, and was bad all the way to [censored].

I say we lynch him.

Last edited:
I like to make a correction regarding Sikes' debt. It is actually over a millions dollars when his default mortages, credit cards, car notes, and other shady borrowing accounts are taken into consideration. Apparently, mortage, car note, and credit cards debts are considered undefined in CA because people can walk away from them without any penalty beside marks on their credit report, which most CA people don't care about anyway.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
. . .
Personally, I feel that the specifics of this case are impossible.

Vehicle has a standard hydraulic braking system, that can stop the car. When you panic stop, you drive the pedal past the regeneative section of it's travel, and on to a good old hydraulic four wheel disk arrangement.

To get runaway like this, you need multiple systems failures.
. . .

Ding, ding, ding!!!

Originally Posted By: Shannow
. . .
Apply a realistic risk (given how many Priuses are on the road, and how many accelerator pedal movements in each per day), and the resultant becomes so close to zero it's not funny.

Awww, c'mon, let's go ahead, not be shy, and take the next step: call the risk ZERO, and call Sikes either a hoax or a fraud.

I'd say this guy more likely works for Toyota than any Toyota basher. He has served them well in shifting the focus from the real problem to this "fraud". All to Toyotas benefit.

Notice how people who had no comment at all regarding the real Toyota UA issues are coming out of the woodwork to label this guy an idiot or worse.....Yes something surely doesn't add up around here, I agree.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
Just imagine how someone would feel if their loved one was killed because of the stunt. Driving 90 mph in a Prius one-handed....

I say we lynch him.

Should the guy who shot the earlier linked video be "lynched" as well?

I mean he clearly is driving with one hand on a busy freeway in order to record his irrelevant video. Just curious.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
I'd say this guy more likely works for Toyota than any Toyota basher. He has served them well in shifting the focus from the real problem to this "fraud". All to Toyotas benefit.

Notice how people who had no comment at all regarding the real Toyota UA issues are coming out of the woodwork to label this guy an idiot or worse.....Yes something surely doesn't add up around here, I agree.

Nah, waaaaay too risky a game for Toyota to play. If Sikes really were a Toyota shill, I'd have expected him to attempt this stunt in a Malibu hybrid. That, presumably, would have shifted the focus entirely from Toyota to bad-old-GM. That would have been a much better game plan. No, I think this guy is either a lone psycho-hoaxer, or he's a well-insulated shill, injected by someone like Art SPINella who is on the domestic car-makers' payroll, but distanced so as to maintain "plausible deniability".

The very first thought I had when I heard the runaway Prius story was: "Where the heck in So-Cal can anyone drive 90 MPH for any length of time? I thought all So-Cal freeways were virtual parking lots".

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS

Nah, waaaaay too risky a game for Toyota to play. If Sikes really were a Toyota shill, I'd have expected him to attempt this stunt in a Malibu hybrid. That, presumably, would have shifted the focus entirely from Toyota to bad-old-GM. That would have been a much better game plan. No, I think this guy is either a lone psycho-hoaxer, or he's a well-insulated shill, injected by someone like Art SPINella who is on the domestic car-makers' payroll, but distanced so as to maintain "plausible deniability".

LOL....I've been waiting for the Ford Fusion Hybrid UA "incident", wondering which "reliable" media outlet would provide it.

You have to admit, taken as a whole, this guy in CA has helped Toyota, not hurt them. The focus has clearly shifted from real UA incidents in others models to this circus. That serves Toyota well IMO. How you think that the "other" side is stupid enough to pull this stunt is beyond me. It doesn't serve any purpose but to put up a smokescreen of doubt. This doesn't work to help Toyotas competitors in any way at all.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
The very first thought I had when I heard the runaway Prius story was: "Where the heck in So-Cal can anyone drive 90 MPH for any length of time? I thought all So-Cal freeways were virtual parking lots".

They are binary, too fast or stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back