Something Doesn't Add Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did any of you guys even watch the video in my link before commenting?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Many Toyota owners are now trying to cash in with a lawsuit
Turnabout is fair play no?

How about the lady that testified before the Senate committee about the unintended acceleration on her Lexus. She didn't have the presence of mind to turn off the key, but she was able to PHONE HOME and tell her husband she was about to die! I smell fish.

Originally Posted By: Seguino
How about the lady that testified before the Senate committee about the unintended acceleration on her Lexus. She didn't have the presence of mind to turn off the key, but she was able to PHONE HOME and tell her husband she was about to die! I smell fish.
I have wondered that myself from the first report of the problem.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: Seguino
I have wondered that myself from the first report of the problem.

Not saying there wasn't anything wrong with her car, but I do not like how the hearing was formatted. If they are really going after the truth, nothing but the truth, the next person testifying should be the investigators who examined the vehicle to provide an objective, technical view of the incident. Instead it is all emotional and subjective.

It is kind of like being on trial but only prosecution is allow the call witnesses.

I saw on TV this idiot in San Diego is almost $900,000 in debt and filed for bankruptcy before...... so I think he is looking for some easy settlement money for his Toyota related stress.

Have any of these drivers addressed why the didn't just throw the car in neutral and hit the brakes? Yeah it may blow the engine but so what it's better than being injured.

Originally Posted By: ncguy
Have any of these drivers addressed why the didn't just throw the car in neutral and hit the brakes? Yeah it may blow the engine but so what it's better than being injured.

He said in a TV report that he was afraid to go to neutral because he might hit reverse and flip over.
He actually said that and it's on video and in media articles.

Originally Posted By: Colt
Originally Posted By: ncguy

He said in a TV report that he was afraid to go to neutral because he might hit reverse and flip over.
He actually said that and it's on video and in media articles.

He is or was a member of the corvette club of San Diego. How can a car enthusiast think neutral will flip the car?

Originally Posted By: mikered30

He is or was a member of the corvette club of San Diego. How can a car enthusiast think neutral will flip the car?

There is no IQ test or automotive knowledge test required to join a Corvette club.
43.gif

Is this the Prius gearshift??? Who designed it?? I couldn't figure it out after calmly staring at it for half a minute! How can someone in a panic figure out how to shift into neutral? This may explain his aversion to shifting it into neutral.

OTOH, he should have been familiar with his own car.

500x_toyota_prius_gearshift.jpg

Quote:
This may explain his aversion to shifting it into neutral.

He doesn't say he can't figure it out though, he was supposedly concerned about what it would cause the car to do.

That's a Prius shift, but around the wrong way :)

Where it's sitting, is it's normal spot.

Across and down for D, Across and up for R, across for N, and that B is for engine assisted deceleration.

As per the owner's manual, once B is engaged, you've got it all the time (for hilly terrain), they advise when you no longer need it, switch to D (through neutral).

So every Prius driver should understand that switching to N on the move isn't going to flip the car.

Quote:
So every Prius driver should understand that switching to N on the move isn't going to flip the car.

It could be one of those things like a mother asking her son if he put on clean underwear in case he gets in an accident and has to go to the ER ...except inverted.

"Remember!! Never engage N in case it might flip the car. I know a lot of young people who flip cars".

http://jalopnik.com/5493011/this-memo-proves-the-runaway-prius-was-a-hoax

inspectors verified the engine+brake failsafe was working and that there wasn't wear on the brake pads like one would expect from riding them at 90mph. what was interesting is that toyota engineer said that if you stand on both the gas and the brakes at the same time in a prius the engine will seize. first time i've heard that one and I don't know if I buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back