some vz58 shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some shooting yesterday and ended the day with the vz58 at 300 yards using Yugo M67 from 1983. I had the Aimpoint on the vz58 when I was shooting (the pic is post cleaning). The tan target (left most) is visible in the background on the 1st picture and is circled in green in the 2nd.

I do like the ergonomics of the vz58 compared to the AK. The vz58's lighter and feels handier than the AK, while the recoil impulse seems about the same despite the rifle being lighter. I appreciate the bolt hold open when the magazine is empty. Plus I'm a sucker for a different mechanism and the vz58's dropping locking block is a pretty unique implementation on a rifle.

The group size at 300 yards turned out to be 5.7MOA while the best groups I've ever had with the vz58 was 3.5MOA.

I've been using Ballistol/water for cleaning the corrosive primer fouling and plain Ballistol for rust prevention and lubrication. I haven't had any rust problems but I've been cleaning before I leave the range.

BSW

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Appear to be AK variants ?

Been a long time since I shot my MAK 90 . It would do arounf 4" at 100 yards with milsurp ammo , off of sand bags .

Fun gun to shoot ! :)

Nice shooting!!

While the Vz58 looks a lot like a Kalashnikov, it's a completely different rifle, functionally. It's also a pound lighter than the milled AK47 even though it also has a milled receiver. The Vz58 is striker fired and the gas system is a short stroke piston system like the SKS. The new ones that are being imported by CSA feature German made Walther Lothar barrels and are very high quality. The original Czech military barrels are just under the legal requirement for non-NFA US civilian sales but they are also good quality.

Top: current CSA production, Bottom: kit build with original Czech barrel

[Linked Image]

The one I was shooting is a Czechpoint rifle with the 16" barrel and removable muzzle nut.

I went back to the nut vs the brake as accuracy is a little better with the nut.

BSW

Does your brake have any play in it? If so, that's likely the reason for the loss in accuracy. I had to make a shim for mine to make sure the brake had zero play.

Very little play. I'll eventually take a file to the rear of the brake and get it indexed tight. I've done that before on AKs and it's never made an perceptible difference but it calmed my gun OCD.

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back