So what's the "go-to" PEA based fuel additive? Indirect and direct injection engines...

All you need to clean your system, Scotty approved. 🤪
7179smF1s-L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Ok, I guess outside of special circumstances I don't see the need for a "cleaning dose".
In the US and Canada we have Top Tier and minimum requirements for all gas.

So in your situation with direct injection and top tier fills up - buying the new Techron with two to four times the PEA of what Chevron puts in their gas might be fine.

"Among brands tested, non-TOP TIER gasolines caused 19 times more engine deposits than TOP TIER brands after just 4,000 miles of simulated driving."

Doesn't sound like the minimum requirements are great.

Not everyone uses a top tier station and not everyone trusts that top tier is good enough for their engine type or driving style.

And you've demonstrated caution should be used when using higher dosing than the manufacturer recommends.

This is true but I also said in post 152:
"Now we're seeing techron's dose go from 30-60% BO-PEA ----> 10-20% so if someone were to use the old dosage, it might seem dangerous."

Lo and behold...

Since new techron is now 0.1oz-0.2oz of PEA a gallon, I would have to double the dose which may seem dangerous to some but it's not.

It's what might be required for my indirect injected engine which many here also have.

For a port injection engine:
-Maintenance dosage should be 0.13oz per gallon of fuel
-Cleaning dosage should be 0.38oz per gallon of fuel

Cleaning dose can safely be used twice per OCI and maintenance dose can be continued after that.

That would mean for a 6000 mile OCI, 35.23oz of pure PEA would be the safe upper "recommended" limit

vs Chevron's past and present recommendations

Old Techron @ 30-60% = safe upper limit was 29.25oz of pure PEA (x5 treatments per OCI)
Math: (0.45oz x 13 gallons) X 5

New Techron @ 10-20% = safe upper limit is 3.9oz of pure PEA (x2 treaments per OCI)
Math (0.15oz x 13 gallons) x 2

Doesn't seem fair to me

Last edited:
Not everyone uses a top tier station and not everyone trusts that top tier is good enough for their engine type or driving style.

CR-Cars-Inline-AAA-Fuel-Quality-Comparison-07-16 (1).jpg

Intake valve comparison showing a new valve compared with valves after a 100-hour engine test.
(supposed to represent 4,000 miles)

My car has 124,000 miles so it might look like x31 that photo

AAA also found Top Tier gasoline can have a cleansing effect, reducing intake valve deposits by 45 to 72 percent when used over a 5,000-mile interval. Variation in the results is attributed to the detergents used by different brands.

So Top Tier reduces deposits by 45-72%...

Some of you trust too easily without verifying..

Source: https://www.consumerreports.org/car...r-gasoline-worth-the-extra-price-a7682471234/

I wasn't advocating that non top-tier fuel is sufficient. I'm a firm believer in Top Tier.
Just stating that there are minimum requirements that might make more than a maintenance dose unnecessary.

I use strictly top tier and use a PEA additive at the recommended dose 2x per oil change at around 4000 mi intervals.
And have been doing that since my vehicles are new.
That may be slightly overkill in my opinion. But to each their own.

One question I would pose to you since you're on the hunt for information.
Is it better to run a "cleaning" dose versus several maintenance doses in a row? There is naturally a time aspect to all of this.
Would it be better to run a high dose for 1 tank versus maintenance dose for say 3 in a row?

One question I would pose to you since you're on the hunt for information.
Is it better to run a "cleaning" dose versus several maintenance doses in a row? There is naturally a time aspect to all of this.
Would it be better to run a high dose for 1 tank versus maintenance dose for say 3 in a row?

Couldn't find any academic info but this is what I found from people looking into engines with borescopes.

There's a consensus that direct injection needs a minimum of 0.038oz/gallon to achieve a cleaning effect.

Apparently anything more than 0.06oz/gallon will affect combustion.

So for direct injection, slow and steady wins the race if you have time.

Looks like your advice was good:
IE: Full dose is 1oz/gallon. That worked out to 0.3oz PEA/gal with old formula, 0.15oz PEA/gal current. And current recommendations is 2x per oil change.
1/4 to 1/2 of that seems appropriate if you want to use it more often, depending on how often.
1/4 oz/gal = ~0.04oz PEA/gal, could use this every fill up probably
1/2 oz/gal = ~0.08oz PEA/gal, could use this 4x per oil change.

When it comes to indirect injection, it seems like a high cleaning dose is required and the maintenance dose is only to prevent new deposits.

Last edited:

Basically, it's kerosene with a drop of EGME as the solvent. There could potentially be some PEAs that aren't required to be on an SDS, but I'm not so sure such a thing exists.

What about 360?
I switched to Chevron Marine multi years ago for boats and small engines … some outboard OEM products are just Techron anyway

PEA seems to be hard to find in Canada (outside Amazon) but Canadian Tire has Gumout products.
Three have PEA according to their website (All in One Fuel System Cleaner, High Mileage Fuel System Cleaner and Complete Fuel System Cleaner) but i don't know which one has the highest concentration.

Anyone have some insight?

PEA seems to be hard to find in Canada (outside Amazon) but Canadian Tire has Gumout products.
Three have PEA according to their website (All in One Fuel System Cleaner, High Mileage Fuel System Cleaner and Complete Fuel System Cleaner) but i don't know which one has the highest concentration.

Insight is not to worry about PEA concentration.
For peace of mind, vary among the available products, at some time or mileage interval, and keep driving.

Insight is not to worry about PEA concentration.
For peace of mind, vary among the available products, at some time or mileage interval, and keep driving.
The thing is if i buy one a year then its going to matter.
I did e-mail the company asking about it, no reply yet (probably went home early on Friday), but hopefully this week.

I also found a store that carries Redline SL1 in a city only 45 mins drive away.

I also found a store that carries Redline SL1 in a city only 45 mins drive away.

At that point, it's probably cheaper to order on Amazon instead of spending the gas.

$26 for one ($19.36US) with free shipping if it's your first order
or
$47 ($35US) for two with free shipping

https://www.amazon.ca/Line-60103-Complete-System-Cleaner/

If you've got a Hyundai dealer near you, give them a call with this part number 00232-19047, it's rebottled Techron.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HYUNDAI-00232-19047-FUEL-INJ-CARB-CLEANERS/195523047463

or from a BMW dealer
part# 83-19-5-A07-750

All those 3 have similar concentrations of PEA, so i would feel comfortable using any of them.

The all-in-one is usually a larger bottle which costs more but treats a few more gallons of gas.
It has upper cylinder lube (but less than HM), and claims to treat ethanol issues.

The high mileage contains upper cylinder lube, to me this is the better all around product and my preference.

At that point, it's probably cheaper to order on Amazon instead of spending the gas.

$26 for one ($19.36US) with free shipping if it's your first order
or
$47 ($35US) for two with free shipping

https://www.amazon.ca/Line-60103-Complete-System-Cleaner/

If you've got a Hyundai dealer near you, give them a call with this part number 00232-19047, it's rebottled Techron.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HYUNDAI-00232-19047-FUEL-INJ-CARB-CLEANERS/195523047463

or from a BMW dealer
part# 83-19-5-A07-750
Interesting, thanks.
I will bear this in mind for the future, your post is bookmarked :)

All those 3 have similar concentrations of PEA, so i would feel comfortable using any of them.

The all-in-one is usually a larger bottle which costs more but treats a few more gallons of gas.
It has upper cylinder lube (but less than HM), and claims to treat ethanol issues.

The high mileage contains upper cylinder lube, to me this is the better all around product and my preference.
Sounds good, and Canadian Tire has Gumout on sale this week for 20% off and is local, i will grab some high mileage version this evening.

The issue i have been having is slight engine knock under >50% load, i suspect its either carbon buildup or the injectors need some cleaning. I have used synthetic motor oil and top tier gas but after almost 200k (125K miles) perhaps it has some buildup causing this?

No engine codes and cleaned the MAF sensor recently (and newish air filter) so this is my current theory.

Gumout Regane series has good dose of PEA, namely 'Complete' and 'High Mileage' but they have to be of Regane series. You can go to their website and check SDS sheets. I checked all - Royal Purp, B12, S1 etc SDS sheets, I recall S1 was the best but very expensive compared to Gumout.
I just buy Gumout Regane Complete in US WM (US$6.34) when happen to be there, I'm just lucky to live 43 km away from closest US WM.
This cleaner works very well as I can tell by getting smoother running engine. Gumout Tune Up has PEA, sold at Can WM but more expensive, also works great.

Gumout Regane series has good dose of PEA, namely 'Complete' and 'High Mileage' but they have to be of Regane series. You can go to their website and check SDS sheets. I checked all - Royal Purp, B12, S1 etc SDS sheets, I recall S1 was the best but very expensive compared to Gumout.
I just buy Gumout Regane Complete in US WM (US$6.34) when happen to be there, I'm just lucky to live 43 km away from closest US WM.
This cleaner works very well as I can tell by getting smoother running engine. Gumout Tune Up has PEA, sold at Can WM but more expensive, also works great.
Good to know :)

I bought one of each of these on sale the other day, tossed in the high mileage yesterday when filling the tank and went for a 75km drive. Plan to empty the tank (another 700km) and then get the oil change i've been putting off.

Take this with a grain of salt but I've alwyas had noticeable results with Royal Purple's MAX-ATOMIZER in all my vehicles.
Buddy dumps a bottle in and tops up with 94 octane before the drag strip and notices better performance during and after that tank of fuel.

Back