Engine and oil additives question

don't use oil additives unless it's an old beater with ticky lifters. I've used mmo for ticky lifters with success but i wouldn't add more than 1/2 cup to 5 quarts of oil.

don't use oil additives unless it's an old beater with ticky lifters. I've used mmo for ticky lifters with success but i wouldn't add more than 1/2 cup to 5 quarts of oil.
Thanks for your reply...I am going to tell the dealership not to do it, even if it is for free!
Can you tell me what "ticky lifters" are?

Personally, I would skip any oil additives. I find that Top Tier gas does make a difference to the point you probably don't need any gas additives most of the year. Mobil is Top Tier, so a good choice. The main thing, IMHO, is to avoid cheapy and sleepy looking no-name gas stations whenever possible. I like to buy Top Tier gas and I try to go to stations with lots of traffic so I know the gas is both fresh and probably routinely checked.
The quality synthetic oil has all the additives needed. Best case is the additional oil additives do nothing and worst case they intefere with the additives the oil was blended with at the factory or thin the oil and it is not as good a lubricant.

I doubt you will find any automotive manufacturer that recommends oil additives in the owners manual. Maybe a rogue dealer.

If you really want to baby the oil then go for a bypass oil filter in addition to your full flow oil filter. But overkill in my mind unless you have a huge oil sump (several gallons) and go 20K OCI.

• Helpful
Reactions: rcs
Thanks for your reply...I am going to tell the dealership not to do it, even if it is for free!
Can you tell me what "ticky lifters" are?
lifters, or hydraulic lash adjusters keep your engine quiet. when one gets dirty, worn, or doesn't get oil they tick.

What does that mean "chip it off"
VCM Tuner II or S-VCM they plug in right between your one temperature sensor and the plug to it. The power wire goes to battery or other 12V power source. It "tricks" the computer to see a colder temperature (under 168F) so it does not engage the VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) which shuts down 3 cylinders in the name of fuel economy. It also has been known to cause Piston ring and oil burning issues as well as transmission an motor mount issues.

Independent shop would probably hook it up. Dealer will NOT hook it up. It's very easy to do with basic skills.

Head over to Piloteers.org and introduce yourself. In your profile there and here at BITOG you can update your profile. There might be members close willing to help (if you trust them). Piloteers link to VCM mega thread as one person labelled it. MANY, MANY discussions on it. Some with higher mileage and problems were told need full motor rebuild. Disabling VCM and frequent oil changes saved some of them.

I have the S-VCM on my '19 Pilot. With my plug in scanner, the OBD Fusion App on my phone I can monitor. Below is screen shot, ECT 2 on middle right was my temperature of coolant/radiator right before fans turned on. ECT 1 on top right is where the S-VCM is plugged between and shows 165.2F.
1684028683611.jpeg

Well no to any oil additives but yes to a gas additive like Techron gas additive once per oil change. I am sure he will follow your request. No oil additives are needed. If you want better lubrication get synthetic oil. Not all gas additives are the same. Techron and a few with similar chemical composition are recommended.

Most mechanics have not done scientific studies on many things they might recommend.

If he suggests MMO then find a new mechanic.
:ROFLMAO:

Thank you! I do ask a lot of questions from the techs and my previous home mechanic. I am so thankful for all the great folks on this forum as well! I have learned so much from all of your expertise!:)
I think maybe you're a little bit too eager and maybe an easy mark so to speak. They are probably happy to see you every 3k miles
They don't have to upsell you, you are upselling yourself. You are over thinking the maintenance schedule, try 5k mile intervals at least.

I think maybe you're a little bit too eager and maybe an easy mark so to speak. They are probably happy to see you every 3k miles
They don't have to upsell you, you are upselling yourself. You are over thinking the maintenance schedule, try 5k mile intervals at least.
I agree with your statement. And they do tell me to do it every 5k, even my hometown mechanic stated I am wasting my money because newer engines do not need it every 3K. But here's what changed my mind...since I also rotate my tires at the 3k interval, when I went to a 5k, my tires started to wear on the outside. I had to replace 2 tires. Never again. I do not think they were out of balance because they were new about 1 year prior to that and the balance machine report was spot on. Since then I have add 4 replaced, so everything is even. Even the Honda maintenance book I have distinguishes severe driving conditions. Not to be argumentative, but I would rather pay the money and have everything checked out every spring and winter than have something happen and wished I would have.
But your point is well taken and I appreciate your response.(y)

VCM Tuner II or S-VCM they plug in right between your one temperature sensor and the plug to it. The power wire goes to battery or other 12V power source. It "tricks" the computer to see a colder temperature (under 168F) so it does not engage the VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) which shuts down 3 cylinders in the name of fuel economy. It also has been known to cause Piston ring and oil burning issues as well as transmission an motor mount issues.

Independent shop would probably hook it up. Dealer will NOT hook it up. It's very easy to do with basic skills.

Head over to Piloteers.org and introduce yourself. In your profile there and here at BITOG you can update your profile. There might be members close willing to help (if you trust them). Piloteers link to VCM mega thread as one person labelled it. MANY, MANY discussions on it. Some with higher mileage and problems were told need full motor rebuild. Disabling VCM and frequent oil changes saved some of them.

I have the S-VCM on my '19 Pilot. With my plug in scanner, the OBD Fusion App on my phone I can monitor. Below is screen shot, ECT 2 on middle right was my temperature of coolant/radiator right before fans turned on. ECT 1 on top right is where the S-VCM is plugged between and shows 165.2F.
View attachment 155948
Thank you for the info. I have read about these on Piloteers. The issue I have is when I go to a dealership, supposedly you have to unplug it so they don't see it. Then plug it back in! I would not feel confident in doing that. But thanks for the info!

Thanks SO much Chris for that video!!! I even watched the 2nd video where he took the engine apart. I love learning. I don't know if I have ever heard that noise, but honestly I would have thought it was normal! Yikes!:eek:....only because I hear my engine and it sounds like a sewing machine, nice even pace. I am going to listen more carefully! I am pretty in tuned to my engine sounds ever since I purchased this vehicle new. Anything from the "new car" deviation and my hearing radar goes up with attention!

Just listen to a Hemi....
Ok...I will have that in my memory! Thank you for that info,..it gives me a great reference point! Love it! They are very annoying LOL!

Reactions: hrv
Thanks SO much Chris for that video!!! I even watched the 2nd video where he took the engine apart. I love learning. I don't know if I have ever heard that noise, but honestly I would have thought it was normal! Yikes!:eek:....only because I hear my engine and it sounds like a sewing machine, nice even pace. I am going to listen more carefully! I am pretty in tuned to my engine sounds ever since I purchased this vehicle new. Anything from the "new car" deviation and my hearing radar goes up with attention!

Hi rcs, just for clarification, modern Honda engines like your 2015 Pilot's J35 are Overhead Cam (OHC) design motors which do not use hydraulic lifters. Any similar "tapping" sound you hear from the valvetrain is not due to sticky lifters but valve lash. I seem to recall that you previously indicated that you had valve clearances adjusted during a past maintenance service, so all should be well.

Hi rcs, just for clarification, modern Honda engines like your 2015 Pilot's J35 are Overhead Cam (OHC) design motors which do not use hydraulic lifters. Any similar "tapping" sound you hear from the valvetrain is not due to sticky lifters but valve lash. I seem to recall that you previously indicated that you had valve clearances adjusted during a past maintenance service, so all should be well.
Hi Nukeman, thank you for the clarification! Hmmm...I don't recall having valve clearance adjustments...because I don't know what that is. But again, good to know about the tapping noise from the valve train also! I just love learning new things, this way when or if I hear something I can tell the tech at the dealership and not sound stupid.

Back