Engine and oil additives question

rcs

Good morning everyone!
I have been taking my 2015 Pilot to the dealership for my oil changes, I cannot trust my hometown mechanic anymore. The tech I use is very honest and has actually saved me money. When he does my service he told me he adds for free a gas and oil additive/cleaner to keep my engine cleaner and to help it last longer. I thought I read somewhere that these are not good, because they can dislodge some gunk and make things worse and they can erode your hoses etc.
What are your thoughts on this? Being a women I can only go by what he tells me. I use Mobile gasoline which I have heard has cleaners in it. Do you guys/gals use this also? The last time he did it a few weeks ago, I did notice for a couple of days some hesitation on acceleration, but that has not been an issue now. It does seem to give it great acceleration.
I appreciate your thoughts and time in answering my question.

Well no to any oil additives but yes to a gas additive like Techron gas additive once per oil change. I am sure he will follow your request. No oil additives are needed. If you want better lubrication get synthetic oil. Not all gas additives are the same. Techron and a few with similar chemical composition are recommended.

Most mechanics have not done scientific studies on many things they might recommend.

If he suggests MMO then find a new mechanic.

Depends on additives

If you use quality toptier fuel, like Mobil, and good oils preferably synthetic and a grade that matches your weather/driving style, you shouldn't need additives.

With a more sane maintenance interval, there should be no gunk to dislodge. So, this is just an ol' wives tale and nothing to worry about.

So, the real question to ask.... what fuel and oil additives are added by your mechanic that you could still use? what oil/filter and interval are being used? and what oil level as it should be check weekly or at every fuel fill up and adjusted as needed?

And yes, I have used fuel and oil additives numerous times over the years and have never had any negatives to report. The goal is to pick what is best and affordable to your budget to make the vehicle last your expectations. One shouldn't have to need/use anything but there are plenty of poorly engineered vehicles out there.

rcs -

The problem here is that because you're not able to tell us what the products are that your mechanic is using, we're not able to tell you if it is a good idea or not. This is because there are good Engine Cleaners and bad ones; good Fuel System Cleaners and bad ones.

ECs ... good engine cleaners will be using an ester based formula; brands such as HPL's EC30 or ARX. These are good because they clean and dissolve the contamination slowly and methodically. Using a "good" EC can be of benefit, but only if you have a specific condition or engine that warrants such use. Most engines today run well enough that these are not needed every oil change, and infrequent use is more than enough. OTOH, bad engine cleaners are harsh and too aggressive and alter the oil properties significantly and are only meant to be used for very short periods under very specific conditions. I never recommend using these type ECs.

FSCs ... pretty much the same concept applies, but the good ones use PEA based formulas; brands like Gumout or Techron come to mind. Any fuel you buy that is "Top Tier" rated (see www.toptiergas.com) will be fine and make the use of a fuel system cleaner generally moot.

rcs,
Use a good quality gasoline such as the Mobil(Exxon/Mobil) that you are using. All brands of gasolines have cleaners in them however, they don't all have the same level of cleaners. There are other brands of gasoline that such as Exxon/Mobil that are considered TOP TIER. I don't know what gas brands are in your area but thus far, you're doing fine. And this doesn't mean that if you use a brand of gas that isn't Top Tier, that you will have issues. I've use mostly non-Top Tier fuel and never an issue.

As-far-as adding additives to your oil is unnecessary. I often ask Tech's..."What is it that you think is missing in the proper motor oils for modern engines that the oil needs extra additives?" They don't have an answer.

Thanks everyone! I will have to ask what they use at the dealership. I have a Honda Pilot 2015 Touring. I change my oil and rotate my tires every 3,000 miles. I know it is excessive, but I only do city driving stop and go traffic and follow the severe schedule maintenance in my Honda book.
He only uses full synthetic oil, this is verified on the work order and receipt also. I checked the number on the receipt with the parts department.
I only use Mobile gasoline also.
Just curious for my knowledge...why no oil additives?

Personally, I would skip any oil additives. I find that Top Tier gas does make a difference to the point you probably don't need any gas additives most of the year. Mobil is Top Tier, so a good choice. The main thing, IMHO, is to avoid cheapy and sleepy looking no-name gas stations whenever possible. I like to buy Top Tier gas and I try to go to stations with lots of traffic so I know the gas is both fresh and probably routinely checked.

rcs,
Use a good quality gasoline such as the Mobil(Exxon/Mobil) that you are using. All brands of gasolines have cleaners in them however, they don't all have the same level of cleaners. There are other brands of gasoline that such as Exxon/Mobil that are considered TOP TIER. I don't know what gas brands are in your area but thus far, you're doing fine. And this doesn't mean that if you use a brand of gas that isn't Top Tier, that you will have issues. I've use mostly non-Top Tier fuel and never an issue.

As-far-as adding additives to your oil is unnecessary. I often ask Tech's..."What is it that you think is missing in the proper motor oils for modern engines that the oil needs extra additives?" They don't have an answer.
That is a great question,...regarding the oil additive and their own Honda synthetic oil! I am going to ask that the next time. Thank you!

Personally, I would skip any oil additives. I find that Top Tier gas does make a difference to the point you probably don't need any gas additives most of the year. Mobil is Top Tier, so a good choice. The main thing, IMHO, is to avoid cheapy and sleepy looking no-name gas stations whenever possible. I like to buy Top Tier gas and I try to go to stations with lots of traffic so I know the gas is both fresh and probably routinely checked.
Great advice! Yes I only go to a busy gas station and never go when the tanker truck is filling the under ground tanks!

Oil additives aren’t needed these days because fully formulated oils have everything in them that they need to do the job.
I used to think additives were helpful bc I thought all oil ‘just barely does the job’ and strengthening it helped. One thing I learned here that is not true.
I will admit I still add additives to my oil, but I buy them stupid cheap on clearance and just add them to be oil, not to help the engine in any way.
Gas additives, on the other hand CAN be helpful, good quality ones can clean up gunk left by short trip driving and idling. This can still happen even with good quality fuel being used.

Reactions: rcs
More germane is educating the OP with regard to the VCM and how that impacts oil change interval; 3,000 miles on synthetic oil most people would regard as excessive but more knowledgeable forum members can comment on the VCM and how that might be an appropriate interval for this vehicle.

Thanks everyone! I will have to ask what they use at the dealership. I have a Honda Pilot 2015 Touring. I change my oil and rotate my tires every 3,000 miles. I know it is excessive, but I only do city driving stop and go traffic and follow the severe schedule maintenance in my Honda book.
He only uses full synthetic oil, this is verified on the work order and receipt also. I checked the number on the receipt with the parts department.
I only use Mobile gasoline also.
Just curious for my knowledge...why no oil additives?
Very likely BG products.

Very likely BG 44k in the tank and BG MOA in the oil.

Good additives.

More germane is educating the OP with regard to the VCM and how that impacts oil change interval; 3,000 miles on synthetic oil most people would regard as excessive but more knowledgeable forum members can comment on the VCM and how that might be an appropriate interval for this vehicle.
The best thing to do with the VCM is chip it off. VCM is just a problem lurking to happen.

I have thought about the VCM, but am not mechanical. I know every 3,000 miles is excessive, however I follow the severe driving condition being that I am driving stop and go traffic all the time, per Honda's manual. I don't trailer anything though. I also have them rotate my tires at that interval also.

"Being a women I can only go by what he tells me."

Wow, do not ever put yourself down like that. Do what the rest of us here are doing, keep asking questions and doing your research. You are off to a good start, now keep it up.

"Being a women I can only go by what he tells me."

Wow, do not ever put yourself down like that. Do what the rest of us here are doing, keep asking questions and doing your research. You are off to a good start, now keep it up.
Thank you! I do ask a lot of questions from the techs and my previous home mechanic. I am so thankful for all the great folks on this forum as well! I have learned so much from all of your expertise!:)

No need to add stuff to motor oil. Buy top-tier gasoline and no additives will be needed.

Back