Engine and oil additives question

If your 3k oil change interval gives you peace of mind, continue with it. Life is too short to worry about it

If your 3k oil change interval gives you peace of mind, continue with it. Life is too short to worry about it
Amen 2dogs...for $70 every 6 months it gives me alot of piece of mind and even knowing also that they check other fluid levels etc.

Go with whatever the car manual says and you are maxing out any possible real-world gain, and saving yourself money, reducing waste oil and the disposal of filters, and it should give you peace of mind knowing you are following the best recommendation for your vehicle. Too many oil changes have downsides, IMHO. I've had multiple car drain plugs stripped, plus I've had other damage done to cars that were jacked up improperly. I personally check my fluids in between oil changes, so no gain there. Even dealers sometimes (often) install less than ideal filters and oil. I can purchase better filters and oil and do the change for less. Maybe people have had better dealer experiences than I have, but my experiences have not been good. One time a recall repair was done so poorly some wiring shorted out and destroyed some stuff. A motorcycle dealer once forgot to put oil back in after an oil change. My father's dealer said he needed complete brake jobs all around about one month after he purchased a used car there that had just had a complete brake job. I've had the oil filler cap left off, tires inflated incorrectly, oil overfilled and underfilled, etc. etc. These are a few reasons I switched to doing my own oil changes many years ago.

I would absolutely NOT run off to the dealer - if you like your local guy and he has been good to you. Just politely tell him you have read good and bad about the additives and you would like to research them before you use them, and ask if he will tell you which ones, or just leave them out. Since it sounds like he is trying to reassure you he is doing a good job, he likely won't mind.

At the dealer your just a number, and will get a high school drop out oil jockey. My local Toyota dealer put an oil change on the work order - was free due to ToyotaCare either way, and they didn't actually change the oil. Dealers these days have no quality control. I worked at a dealer as a kid 30 years ago to pay my way through college, but I think much has changed since then.

I agree with those here you don't need an oil additive. I throw techron in the gas tank once in a while. Oil additives are not needed.

Go with whatever the car manual says and you are maxing out any possible real-world gain, and saving yourself money, reducing waste oil and the disposal of filters, and it should give you peace of mind knowing you are following the best recommendation for your vehicle. Too many oil changes have downsides, IMHO. I've had multiple car drain plugs stripped, plus I've had other damage done to cars that were jacked up improperly. I personally check my fluids in between oil changes, so no gain there. Even dealers sometimes (often) install less than ideal filters and oil. I can purchase better filters and oil and do the change for less. Maybe people have had better dealer experiences than I have, but my experiences have not been good. One time a recall repair was done so poorly some wiring shorted out and destroyed some stuff. A motorcycle dealer once forgot to put oil back in after an oil change. My father's dealer said he needed complete brake jobs all around about one month after he purchased a used car there that had just had a complete brake job. I've had the oil filler cap left off, tires inflated incorrectly, oil overfilled and underfilled, etc. etc. These are a few reasons I switched to doing my own oil changes many years ago.
I agree. I wish I could do my own oil changes, not possible even if I knew how. I worry about the car being jacked up properly also, that is why I have the most experienced senior tech do the job all the time and he is the only one to work on my car for everything. He always replaces and puts a new drain plug in and washer per my request. But I agree, there are some bad dealerships and techs who don't care. I never have them do the quick change lane either.

I would absolutely NOT run off to the dealer - if you like your local guy and he has been good to you. Just politely tell him you have read good and bad about the additives and you would like to research them before you use them, and ask if he will tell you which ones, or just leave them out. Since it sounds like he is trying to reassure you he is doing a good job, he likely won't mind.

At the dealer your just a number, and will get a high school drop out oil jockey. My local Toyota dealer put an oil change on the work order - was free due to ToyotaCare either way, and they didn't actually change the oil. Dealers these days have no quality control. I worked at a dealer as a kid 30 years ago to pay my way through college, but I think much has changed since then.

I agree with those here you don't need an oil additive. I throw techron in the gas tank once in a while. Oil additives are not needed.
I used to like my local guy, but he did some poor work on my car and left a screw driver in the engine compartment that could have caused a catastrophe! Then he claimed it wasn't his or one of his workers! Yeah right dude,...you are the only one who has ever worked on my car prior to me going to the dealership. The only reason why I found it was because I heard it rolling around and knew the engine did not sound right!!!!!!!!!!!
The local guy was not the one who put the additives in, it was the senior tech at the dealership. I realize you can be just a number at dealerships, but I asked the service advisor who works on his car and this is the guy he gave me. He has worked on my car for the past 2 years and is very OCD, that is why I like him and they know I only want him to work on my car even IF it is only for an oil change.
The reason why I switched to my dealership is because my local mechanic did my timing belt job and my engine sounded like crap!
I took it to the dealership for a proper job and thank God everything is fine now. So that is why I have confidence in them and not my local guy. Not many other local shops in my area either that are good.

I worry about the car being jacked up properly also, that is why I have the most experienced senior tech do the job all the time and he is the only one to work on my car for everything.
It is very hard to find a car repair person or business you can trust. Many years ago Consumer Reports had an article comparing work done at dealers vs. chain shops (Midas, etc.), and independent garages. The conclusion was you got the best work at the lowest price at independent garages, chain shops were second, and dealers trailed in third. Of course, that all depends on the individual establishments you are dealing with in your area. Strangely, I have found a local Walmart is one of the better places to get basic stuff like batteries, oil changes, tires, etc. Some of the people have been there for many years, and they actually talk to you about what type of oil and filter you want and will do what you want to do. In my experience dealers tend to maximize their profit no matter what your requests, and I have had zero luck talking to the actual people working on my car. Dealers around here won't let you anywhere near the shop where they do the work, while even Jiffy Lube has a window where you can watch the work. Independents often let you ask questions and will often show me why they are doing something.

It is very hard to find a car repair person or business you can trust. Many years ago Consumer Reports had an article comparing work done at dealers vs. chain shops (Midas, etc.), and independent garages. The conclusion was you got the best work at the lowest price at independent garages, chain shops were second, and dealers trailed in third. Of course, that all depends on the individual establishments you are dealing with in your area. Strangely, I have found a local Walmart is one of the better places to get basic stuff like batteries, oil changes, tires, etc. Some of the people have been there for many years, and they actually talk to you about what type of oil and filter you want and will do what you want to do. In my experience dealers tend to maximize their profit no matter what your requests, and I have had zero luck talking to the actual people working on my car. Dealers around here won't let you anywhere near the shop where they do the work, while even Jiffy Lube has a window where you can watch the work. Independents often let you ask questions and will often show me why they are doing something.
I totally agree! My independent shop has a frosted glass window so you can't see what is going on. The dealership has a big open window so I can actually see the tech,...crazy that it is opposite. The independent mechanic would use what I ask, and was great in the past to talk to , but having a few mishaps with him made my confidence decline in him. I do get to talk to the senior tech at the dealership who works on my car. Agree dealerships aren't called stealerships for no reason. But sometimes that is all a person has had luck with, especially with no luck in the independent shops.

Last edited:
I bet he is using BG products. He gets money on all the BG products he sales. Not much but can add up. Not a bad product but still unnecessary.

• Helpful
Reactions: rcs
Back