So what's the "go-to" PEA based fuel additive? Indirect and direct injection engines...

Cataclean is a mix of solvents and oxygenates. Very similar to B-12 Chemtool

Cataclean MSDS:
Hydrotreated light distillate (petroleum) 5.0 -10.0 %
Xylene (mixed isomers) 30.0 -60.0 %
1-Propanol 10.0 -30.0 %
Acetone 10.0 -30.0 %

I'm admittedly too lazy to look back through 6 pages of this discussion to see if this has been discussed.

There's different levels of quality of PEAs, just like we have different quality of additives in lubricants. Though the patent has long expired, Chevron is still the only major gasoline company that produces and uses it. I would expect Chevron isn't letting STP, Gumout, and others have the cream of the crop.

I'm admittedly too lazy to look back through 6 pages of this discussion to see if this has been discussed.

There's different levels of quality of PEAs, just like we have different quality of additives in lubricants. Though the patent has long expired, Chevron is still the only major gasoline company that produces and uses it. I would expect Chevron isn't letting STP, Gumout, and others have the cream of the crop.
I don't believe this is true. BASF, Dow, Exxon/Lubrizol, etc etc have patents on PEA.
PEA is just a specialty chemical with many manufacturers touting their own version as well as other alternative chemicals to make a fully formulated gas additive.
At the end of the day the products being used in the market are going to have similar performance.

his "brother"

Last edited:
Pulled my air intake to do a brief inspection on my throttle body as it's over the 199,000 mark and it has had hardy many gdi cleanings since I put on the induction kit. Seems that the pcv valve and everything is working. Running good fuel, occasionally a pea fuel based cleaner and four ounces of gumout multitune in the crankcase right before a oil change. NO oil,gunk,etc found on throttle. I did do a GDi throttle cleaning today which threw a bunch of codes lol. Literally no smoke after so that tells me whatever is being done so far has worked.
Beautiful, so clean i would eat off it! Nice work good sir

We don't worry about concentrations. We just buy any of the products and use it. Read the labelling for the 'marketing'. PEA isn't the only fuel system chemical out there. And, it has its issues.
*It's always suggested to add Techron / Regane right before an oil change ... But what if you miss this time frame ? Any serious issues to add early into a new oil change in a newer , well maintained vehicle ?

*It's always suggested to add Techron / Regane right before an oil change ... But what if you miss this time frame ? Any serious issues to add early into a new oil change in a newer , well maintained vehicle ?
Zero issue or this would be on the instructions of the product. I do this basically every time I change the oil on all of my vehicles (after the change) and have for years.

This is the first time I've heard of Techron, (or any other PEA fuel system cleaner), having to be used before an oil change. What is the reasoning behind this? How does this stuff contaminate oil?

I use Gumout Multi System Fuel Cleaner on somewhat of a regular basis in all of my vehicles. And have never tied it in with any oil changes.

So on the Chinese version of BITOG, there are a few threads suggesting that PEA contaminates engine oil

Here's are some photos of one thread where they say carbon deposits will end up in the oil filter:

820_ChwFj17uJ6CABaI7AAfM0HlFwws108.jpeg

Carbon deposit particles scraped off the surface of the old oil filter with scissors

820_ChsEel7uJ6OAZTd-AAcuyPSa1Oc434.jpeg

Carbon deposit particles from the oil filter housing cleaned with a detergent

820_ChsEnF7uJ66AYx-zAAfPo-IvyuQ751.jpeg

Rub it with your hands, the graininess is obvious, this is the carbon deposits washed down, mixed in the old engine oil

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are photos from another thread:
820_ChwFqV8QYmWAIv9xACutx1u3XWQ217.jpeg

Test paper oil sample comparison.

"It is suspected that there was a post not long ago saying that there was an engine that used a large dose of PEA, the old engine oil was black, and there were slag on the eyes, hands, and slag (seems like a picture to prove it)!
So I wanted to use a filter paper to filter the oil sample to see what kind of tricks I could filter out.
Regarding the filter paper used: I happened to have a filter paper for hand-ground coffee powder in my hand, so I used it.
I can't find the exact filter pore size, and the more common saying is 30um-100um.
However, 100um is too exaggerated-I tried to insert a copper wire with a diameter of 0.07mm (70um), and it is impossible to leak it."

820_ChsEn18QYmiAfYGwABgurzPaw7w072.jpeg

Filtration is complete. It takes about 16 minutes to filter 25ml of engine oil.

820_ChsEf18QZMCAVtKbAB17V9cnvhs218.jpeg

Close-up of the core part of the oil filter paper sample, with frontal light.

820_ChsEoF8QZMCAQiQvACXuRBmv1Mo529.jpeg

A close-up of the core part of the oil filter paper pattern, backlit.

I don't miss the time frame now.

Since I am a toptier user, I don't worry about tank additives anymore. I weekly fill at MobilExxonChevronTexacoBPMarathon stations and will make the effort to use Shell now a couple times a year for their 7x EPA overdosed nitro hyperspace premium unobtainium flux capacitor equipped super duper gasoline every 4-6 months, and simply now won't buy any more bottles $tuff. I am done with tank additives as long as that V-power Nitro+ is available... 2-3 times a year.

And, with some excessive blowby engines, would you want that PEA in the oil? or any other added to fuel tank additive soaking/diluting the oil? Years back, a few showed the effects of fuel tank additives and a not so promising change in UOA metals.

I doubt that any issues are serious as to when you use a fuel tank additive for the typical owner.

But, I am hoping that oil/filter change intervals are not foolishly extended per OLM or automaker recommendations, that tend to cause issues with certain consumer driving styles. If I saw a filter with 'slag', then the interval was too long along with the tank added fuel system cleaner intervals just weren't frequent enough. Doesn't say much for the quality of the owner, the fuel used, the interval, or the oil type/brand/grade either.

I don't see PEA as contaminating the engine unless the engine already has problems.

This is the first time I've heard of Techron, (or any other PEA fuel system cleaner), having to be used before an oil change. What is the reasoning behind this? How does this stuff contaminate oil?

I use Gumout Multi System Fuel Cleaner on somewhat of a regular basis in all of my vehicles. And have never tied it in with any oil changes.
Because it's not an issue. Folks think blow-by/fuel dilution with the additive is an issue and that's what drives this convo.

Here's a screenshot from a 3rd party who sells lots of Techron on the Chinese marketplace.

They're definitely making up the special note in red on the bottom.

Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 5.48.32 PM.png

Most on their forum are convinced it enters the oil. Most of us use it once every 3000miles.

Some of them like to treat every tank with a maintenance dose.

Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 5.52.12 PM.png

Last edited:
STP Concentrated, but I may try Chevron Techron here soon after seeing many good reviews.

Just bought a few 32oz bottles of Techron as it's 20% off at NAPA USA right now when you buy 3.

Comes out to $16/32oz.

Kind of annoying that it's almost impossible to find out how much PEA is in it these days.

The SDS from the NAPA product page says 30-60% and is dated 2015.
Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 4.18.15 PM.png

When I look up the same product number on Chevron's website (266701), this is what it says:

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 4.25.14 PM.png

Has the product changed that much over the years...

Back