So these Raybestos coated rotors are working great (NOT)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Pew
Iron rusts no matter what or how much "coating" is there.

You're wrong. If the coating (or paint, etc, etc) remains intact, the underlying surface will not rust.

Originally Posted by Olas
It's not very important though, it only takes two or three gentle applications of brake pressure and all the rust is gone.

I don't think people are referring to the pad surface, they mean the O.D. of the rotor, the "hat", and so on.

So far, I've bough coated rotors, or I've painted non-coated with high temp paint, and they both seem to hold up about the same. I've seen similar, or worse pictures of centric coated rotors as the OP above. I've not seen raybestos rotors rust like that here. I've seen worse, however, where the rusted metal sheers off in layers. I don't think it's cause for alarm, at least yet. If I had an afternoon to kill, I'd take them off, knock off the loose rust and hit them inside and out with paint, and antiseize on the inside edge during install.

Originally Posted by andyd
Looks like every rotor and caliper on any of my cars. Its ugly but not service affecting.
grin2.gif

Ditto. Only mine look worse usually. Far worse. But fully functional. None of them are show cars, so I just motor on.
21.gif

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Pew
Iron rusts no matter what or how much "coating" is there.

You're wrong. If the coating (or paint, etc, etc) remains intact, the underlying surface will not rust.

I should have specified 'after the coating wears off'.

OP: Did you use a wheel cleaner while you had these rotors on?

Originally Posted by Audios
Meyle, Bosch, Textar, and Raybestos are all the same. The level of coating may be different, but they are all packaged exactly the same way, along with Akebono, which has the Zinc coating. Bagged in a branded bag, then 2 layers of cardboard, and the same box. Ive had multiple brands side by side and I cannot tell a difference.

The Critic also noticed this with Bosch QuietCast, Textar and Akebono rotors - the latter is only available wholesale from Worldpac(and Akebono doesn't advertise their rotors either).

Bosch claimed at one point in time they use Geomet, and Akebono claims their rotors use an "OEM-spec" zinc coating. Geomet is a trademark for a Zn-Al coating by a German firm. Centric, DuraGo and Wagner use a black e-coat on their coated rotors. The OEM coatings look green-gray or dark gray.

From the looks of it, only the rotor hat was coated but not the vanes and edges. And even on the hat it's starting to be degraded. It seems like Raybestos only gives the "full treatment" on their "premium" line and not the middle-of-the-road option. Raybestos was proud to be the first to coat their rotors on the Advanced Technology line.

Heres my results with Raybestos coated rotors in the NH salt.

Installed Dec 2016. Replacing 10yo ACDelco OEM coated rotors that were in reasonably good shape rust wise.

Mar 2017
[Linked Image]

Sep 2017
[Linked Image]

Dec 2018. I did not like the rust building up between the hub and the back of the rotor. Removed and replaced with Powerstop z17 evolution geomet coated in January 2019.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by andyd
Looks like every rotor and caliper on any of my cars. Its ugly but not service affecting.
grin2.gif

My thoughts , exactly .

I usually purchase Pagid or Bosch brakes. Usually buy matching branded pads too.

The Bosch discs come with a dark grey, almost metallic matt finish to them which has already been machines off the pad swept area. And the Pagid discs come with a matt silver finish on the whole disc, the coating comes off the pad swept area after the first couple of stops. Both Pagid and Bosch discs, the coating has lasted through the life of the disc. Admittedly, I always use acid free wheel cleaners, clean the car fortnightly and our roads are only salted for 2-3 months of each year.

I've just purchased some cheaper discs for a beater Saab 9-5 I've bought for my Wife to use for the year while I do some work on the Mondeo. The discs came uncoated so I've cleaned them with methylated spirits and given them two coats of cold galv paint. We shall see how they hold up!

It's very likely that Bosch QuietCast, Raybestos, Textar, and Meyle share the same coatings and are all produced in the same manufacturer in China. I have a set of Bosch Quietcast rotors for the rear in the RX350 and the coating did not hold up for one Chicago winter. They looked great for a few months but eventually started rusting on the hat. If you want the most durable coating then powder coating is the best. I have a set of rotors that had the hats powder coated semi-gloss black and they still look like new from 3 years ago.

Duralast Gold from Autozone seems to have some nice full face coated black rotors. Has anyone had good luck with these?

^^^ Yes, those have been my recent go-to for two of our cars and they have been good, no issues, and the coating has held up well. I like that it's local so that if there's an issue I don't have to deal with an online exchange, and I can inspect them for cracks or box damage before I leave the store.

I'll say that a dust shield scraping against one suggests a tiny amount of runout, since it's a scrape-scrape-scrpae and not a scraaaaaaaaape sound, but there's zero perceptible pulse or wobble (maybe the scraping was on the outer edge, idk, I bent the shield off and moved on).

I have 2 sets on 2 of the family vehicles. No issues.

I tried Raybestos coated rotors years ago and found they rusted pretty quick. It did not take long and the coating was gone. I've found Centric rotors are much better. I have a 2014 Cruze with new Centric rotors just before winter. I also have a 2012 Volt with OEM rotors that were put on at a Chevy dealer I bought it from in June. The OEM rotors look slightly better now that they both have seen some salty roads. I have no complaints about the Centric rotors, minimal rust, but the GM branded rotors look the best of the two. I might go that route next time if they don't cost too much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back