So I guess I am buying a car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just rented a 2013 Civic. I liked it, with the futuristic dash, comfy seats and good MPG. Reasonably responsive, but not powerful. It's not sporty, but it had a very nice ride and was a pleasure to drive.
honda-reveals-2013-civic-interior-si-sports-edition-photo-gallery_7.jpg

Can you consider a Lexus CT-200? I've seen them used around here for reasonable prices.

lexus-ct200h.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to come back and say thanks for all the input. Things came up at work and I had to back burner the car buying after I posted this. I'm back at it this weekend. Good thing I've had an extra car to drive in the mean time, although it gets 16 mpg on a good day. It has a/c though.

Ideally, I'd really love to wait for the fall and entertain the new Mazda 3 or the Kia Forte 5. The new 3 looks great, and I really would prefer the hatchback for the occasions where I need to transport my dogs. We have the Outback as the main dog hauler, but every now and then I need to take one or both somewhere. Putting the seats down and giving them the whole back (and not having the seat fabric/leather exposed to Rottweiler nails) is preferable. As much as my in-laws say they don't need their second car (they are retired), I feel bad putting 2k miles on it a month.

To address some things. I'm aware the HOV in Virginia only applies to 267. I use 267 daily, so it may have some value. On the other hand, I've noticed it really only would have been useful 2-3 times in the last few weeks. To compare $ to $, I'd have to buy a somewhat stripped Prius III vs. a loaded Civic or 3. Or I spend more on a IV or V. Is HOV a few times a month worth a few grand over the next few years? I'm leaning towards no. Although some of those times where it would be useful, the non-HOV drive is awfully painful to endure. Judging from feedback out there, I've decided the Insight or Civic Hybrid really aren't any better options. Especially since there was apparently a run where Honda screwed up the Civic Hybrid batteries.

The CT200h was an appealing alternative for the hybrid HOV exemption, as it is much better looking and I like the interior much better, but within 200 miles of here the used options are few, and all priced near $30k. I've decided I'd rather keep it closer to $20k. I can afford it, but ultimately I am buying something that will have 100k on it before it is 5 years old.

So while an Accord Coupe could fit (barely) since it is shorter than an Accord sedan, and the V6 might offer close to 30 mpg real world, I think I need 4 doors, if not 5 doors.

I really don't love one more than the other, so I think I'll send out some inquiries today on Civics and Mazda 3s. I might drive a Corolla. I know. They are advertising $4k off around here, so I brand new Corolla that is "loaded" is about $17k.

The advantage of the Civic and Corolla is in the resale value. In 2 years, if I decide I really want a 2015 Mazda 3, or I get a new job (or house) where I have a 10 minute commute, I know I can sell either of those and do very well. Mazdas are OK, but not as good, and I'm worried the 2013 3 will take a hit once that gorgeous 2014 3 hits the showrooms.

The Kia Forte does intrigue me, I have to admit. I've seen the web price for an absolutely loaded one listed as the same as a Civic EX-L Navi, or about $21k. For that, it blows away the competition in luxury features. Their Navigation/Stereo interface is the best I've used. The warranty is a plus, although I've read mixed reviews on actually using the warranty. It drove well enough, not much better or worse than the Civic. MotorTrend thought it was better than all other compact car comers. There just still is no feedback out there on real world mpg. One guy is reporting on Fuelly and he is getting 34-35. One person on fueleconomy.gov is reporting 33. Plus I'd expect its depreciation to be worse than the Civic, 3, or Corolla.

Anyway, just wanted to update this thread and at this point I just want to get the car buying thing over with.

Originally Posted By: VicVinegar
Ideally, I'd really love to wait for the fall and entertain the new Mazda 3 or the Kia Forte 5. The new 3 looks great, and I really would prefer the hatchback for the occasions where I need to transport my dogs.

The advantage of the Civic and Corolla is in the resale value. In 2 years, if I decide I really want a 2015 Mazda 3, or I get a new job (or house) where I have a 10 minute commute, I know I can sell either of those and do very well. Mazdas are OK, but not as good, and I'm worried the 2013 3 will take a hit once that gorgeous 2014 3 hits the showrooms.

Anyway, just wanted to update this thread and at this point I just want to get the car buying thing over with.

If it were me, I would wait for the new 2014 Mazda 3 to be available, and then just buy it, and not worry about those what ifs on trade in value, or depreciation. If you buy the car you really want from the beginning, then you don't have to worry about trade in value, or depreciation, ever.

Get the car you really like the most out of all the options that are available, and YOU will be happiest for the long term.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back