So how beneficial is milk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a term paper on the topic of lactase persistence for a class on evolution.

It was more interesting than I thought it would be.

I've cut myself back from 2% to 1%. My folks use the fat free stuff. That stuff is simply nasty. I can't even dunk Oreo cookies in fat free milk.

There are many cultures that do not even use milk for drinking like we do, and they get along just fine.

we drink tons of 2% milk. for kids 1 - 2 we buy full cream. 0-6months breastmilk, 6-12 months formula. my wife had to wean our 3 kids off at 6 months due to biting (yeouch).

I'm not aware of any mammal that continues to drink milk once weaned, and personally don't feel good with milk (in significant quantities) in my diet. Certainly not all milk coffee and the like.

My family tends to get their calcium, magnesium etc. from the places that the cows do.

2/3 a gallon a week is our normal consumption. Was less thana pint a week before we had children.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The Chiropractor I go to ocasionally wrote this book.

http://www.amazon.com/No-Milk-Revolutionary-Solution-Headaches/dp/0963112503

Anecdote - I drank a ton of milk as a kid (skim for as long as I can remember) and it's still a daily part of my diet. At 33 years old I have never had a single headache and my back is fine.

Pick any food and there's probably someone who's allergic to it or sensitive to it in some way. That's not grounds for generalizations about whether that food can be part of a healthy diet.

jeff

When cow milk is pasteurized, it kills the vitamins and enzimes that go along with it.
Some may be added back.
The proper balance of magnesium and other minerals is not there for us.
Children often can digest this final concoction better than adults.
Goat or sheep milk is better for us.
Cow milk is a huge molecule [compared to human's], and has been repeatedly linked to infant diabetes because the baby's body can not cope with it, and as it deals with it and defends itself, it kills what makes insulin - often permanently.
Cows are a HUGE industry -like corn/alcohol is becoming. They are fed a diet of corn and other products, which they can't digest properly. The cows are then are loaded with chemicals to fight against this. This should not be!

Originally Posted By: dparm
There are other ways to get the calcium and nutrients milk provides, it isn't an end-all be-all. Our bodies were not designed to ingest dairy all the time. Why do you think so many people are lactose intolerant? Eventually our race will get evolve to accept dairy.

Which race is that? I think my Northern European blend is already there!

I don't know if it's beneficial but I grew up drinking quite a bit of milk and it's still my favorite drink. A half-gallon per day was typical for most of my teenage years. I usually drank a quart of chocolate milk with lunch when I was growing and/or more active. I drink about a quart of milk a day now, plus the yogurt in my smoothies. I've tried cutting milk out a couple of times for a week or two to monitor the effects, but I didn't notice any difference. I did notice a difference when I tried to replace it with soy beverages, which my guts did not like.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Cows are a HUGE industry -like corn/alcohol is becoming. They are fed a diet of corn and other products, which they can't digest properly. The cows are then are loaded with chemicals to fight against this. This should not be!

The milk industry is certainly a powerhouse. I'm not sure milk is as great for you as it is touted. I do love cheese, yogurt, and butter though!

Around here dairy cows are mostly fed alfalfa hay and silage. They are well taken care of and have to be because you're requiring an animal to produce a consistent product at top capacity.

Originally Posted By: tom slick

Around here dairy cows are mostly fed alfalfa hay and silage. They are well taken care of and have to be because you're requiring an animal to produce a consistent product at top capacity.

As well they should be in the #1 dairy state.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
When cow milk is pasteurized, it kills the vitamins and enzimes that go along with it.
Some may be added back.
The proper balance of magnesium and other minerals is not there for us.
Children often can digest this final concoction better than adults.
Goat or sheep milk is better for us.
Cow milk is a huge molecule [compared to human's], and has been repeatedly linked to infant diabetes because the baby's body can not cope with it, and as it deals with it and defends itself, it kills what makes insulin - often permanently.

This one is worth rereading, all the points.

I think the molecule you refer to is the protein.

Organic goat's milk, huh? OK, I'll ask- how do we verify an organic goat?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Cogito
There are many cultures that do not even use milk for drinking like we do, and they get along just fine.

Could be, but then I do not wish to live like other cultures. I wish to live as a North American, and not as a third world xxxx. You probably get the idea.

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
Organic goat's milk, huh? OK, I'll ask- how do we verify an organic goat?
grin2.gif

They are the snobs in the corner of the pen checking themselves out in the mirror.
lol.gif

Never drank milk (hated the taste of it) growing up, fell many times extremely hard skateboarding and never broke anything, thankfully.

Now, I drink organic soy milk. I can tolerate the flavor of it, at least. :)

Originally Posted By: dparm
There are other ways to get the calcium and nutrients milk provides, it isn't an end-all be-all. Our bodies were not designed to ingest dairy all the time. Why do you think so many people are lactose intolerant? Eventually our race will get evolve to accept dairy.

Lactose intolerance is tied to race and many of us have bodies that are designed for consumption of dairy throughout our lives. The vast majority of northern, central and eastern Europeans can handle dairy just fine -- thousands of years of evolution have given us this ability.

Some people on here poo-poo the blood type diet, but the diet shows milk as a clear differentiator between types. In my experience, the people it shows to be OK with milk (such as myself), are, and those it shows to not be, in fact are not.

There was an article on the major news services a week or two ago about how scientists have just discovered the incredible differences in the digestive system bacteria between individuals, even between twins. At this point they are exploring differences, not commonalities, but it certainly illustrates that you can't make a blanket statement about whether a food is just "good" or "bad".

I think milk is one of the best drinks that kids can have growing up, so unless they cannot tolerate milk products for some reason, there is no excuse not to give it to them.
I also grew up drinking lots of milk, it was also the best milk one can have, raw and milked from cows that were grown on a family farm that were fed differently for our use (fresh grass in summer and hay in winter).

I can't count the number of trees and walls I fell from when I was a kid, as kids we used to compete who will jump from the highest wall, I played soccer and competed in all sorts of sports events in elementary and high school and my bones are as strong as ever, knock on wood, nothing broken yet.

My latest debacle happened a few years ago when I was helping my father with laying down a hard wood floor. We used on of those mechanical staplers (not the new pneumatic ones) where you really had to give it a good whack with a heavy hammer in order for the staples to go in. Well during one of those swings I did not hit the head square and the hammer ricochet and hit me with a full force in the shin. It hurt for a week or more and to this day I can still feel with my fingers a bump in the bone.

I think milk is really good for kids, especially these days where it seems evrything has nothing but sugar.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
My wife makes it seem as if it's the greatest,healthiest drink for our kids.She says it has LOTS of calcium.She doesn't want to ever wean them off of it.

2 questions:

1) how old are your kids?
2) what kind of milk are we talking about?
grin2.gif

1 year 8 months, and another is almost 5.regular cow milk.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
, but it certainly illustrates that you can't make a blanket statement about whether a food is just "good" or "bad".

Agreed.

I'd guess cow's milk is good for about 10% of our population.
grin2.gif

For the other 90%, it was better for the fast growing calves.

Milk makes some very nice treats, unless you do something silly like remove the cream.

The industry would like us to believe that whey is good for us, but I have my doubts. Don't add whey to my food, please.

I do mean I wrote, but not in an argumentative way. To each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back