So do i go by the tire pressure label on my door?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1995 Buick century 3.1 v6 door label says 28psi front n back but i dunno that just seems low to me i just like putting 32 or 34psi all around cause it just seems better and plus fuel economy what do you guys think?

How do your tires wear? Centuries roll on skinny things and usually cornering gets 'em. More air would help.

Originally Posted By: boostedtsiawd
My 1995 Buick century 3.1 v6 door label says 28psi front n back but i dunno that just seems low to me i just like putting 32 or 34psi all around cause it just seems better and plus fuel economy what do you guys think?

As long as you're not seeing any uneven treadwear or weird handling issues, I'd say you're fine with the slightly higher pressures.

Are the tires the size listed for the car? I would say you could go to 32 without issue. In my pickup, there was an update paper stuffed into the owners manual. So the sticker and owners manual were not correct. But that mainly had to do with having significantly higher pressure in the front tires due to the 1000 lb Cummins diesel engine up front.

thing is temps keeps playing games out here in chicago like today its 40f so pressure goes up tomorrow it will be 20f so pressure is down again so i just put 36psi all around in it today since we will be back in the 20s n teens the rest of the week and that will bring the pressure down to like 32 im sure.

Originally Posted By: boostedtsiawd

I don't think you are telling us the whole story.
spankme2.gif

Stock tire size for your vehicle is 185/75-14. That is the size that should be listed on the sticker on your door jamb. That is the tire size for which the 28psi is recommended.

But then you tell us you are running 205/70-14.

Obviously, 28psi is no longer a valid recommended tire pressure.

Following the recommendations in the 2012 Yearbook of the Tire and Rim Association, inc., the correct pressure for you to be running with the 205/70-14 tires is 26psi.

thumbsup2.gif

Ford proved that manufacturer's air pressure recommendations aren't always relaible. Most four door sedans I've seen call for 32. Buck may have speced lower pressures to ensure their 'land yacht' ride.

Look on the tire for it's max rated pressure which would be somewhere around 44. Start at 32 all around and if the ride is not unacceptably harsh, add 2 all around until it is then back down to the last acceptable setting for ride. Give yourself this margin for error (between high and low ends of spec) and temp fluctuations won't be a big deal. Check air pressure monthly and return to desired settings.

Id go 32 without hesitation but I wouldnt go over 4 psi per MFR req's. Thats just my opinion though, nothing scientific..

The door sticker is for stock size tires, and maximum ride comfort.

However, for maximum tread wear, look on the side of the tire. It should say "max pressure XXX psi".
Don't exceed this, but put two and a half to five pounds less than that number...

Last edited:
I say with a heavier car, you are better off with more than 32 psi. In my experience, heavy front wheel drive cars chew through outer tread at placard psi and I have always run them several psi higher. I say 36-38 at least.

I've been in the tire business for 14 years. My "General" rule of thumb......4-5psi over door jam specs. If it were mine run about 35psi all the way around cold.

You don't always have to use more tire pressure just because you have a larger than stock tire size. A small tire at 32PSI will have a smaller volume of air to reach that PSI level, than a larger tire which will require a larger air volume to reach the same PSI. Two tires of different sizes can be properly inflated at the same PSI level. Read the labeling on the side of your tire for the maximum inflation pressure and don't exceed that.

There is nothing wrong with running your tires a little low in the winter to help create a larger tread footprint, vice versa for summer/fall run them a little higher to prevent tread wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back