Snow Tires Without Studs Are Worthless.

But that is why we now have law that says that if you are responsible for lane closure on interstate, fines are going above $1,000. Directly aimed at A/S and A/T tire owners as it came out as compromise from proposed legislation to require actual snow tires (not just 3PMSF) after 68 car pile up on I70 EB before Denver where you have 8% grade for several miles and it was downhill.

That's a good solution. If you have multiple cars you don't need to get all fitted with winter tyres and if you can afford to stay home when it's bad you don't need winter tyres either.

That's a good solution. If you have multiple cars you don't need to get all fitted with winter tyres and if you can afford to stay home when it's bad you don't need winter tyres either.
There is no such thing as “if you can afford.”
in CO weather can fluctuate 70 degrees in few hours. I go to ski with open sunroof just to get into 0 degrees weather in an hour. Schools are open, businesses etc.
But think about this scenario: at 2.30am my 6 mobth old kid (i think he was 6 months) wakes up with cough and 105 degree fever. I just wrap him, get him in the car and drive him to first urgent care. Outside? -10 and 8-10 inches of snow on the roads.
i am not waiting ambulance to get in that weather short of physical injury to the back, neck etc.
So all three of my vehicles are on snow tires. Wife’s car, my BMW and Toyota for road trips.
You can’t predict life.

Just getting ready to put anew set of Michelin Xice3 (or whatever they are called) on my '08 Accent. It will pull though anything until there is so much snow under the car I get turtled.

Can't wear them out, use to use summer winter tires but I just leave the winter tires on all year. Still get 4 years.

My mail man use to swear by studded tires on the rural route. But he drove Chrysler mini vans.

There is no such thing as “if you can afford.”
in CO weather can fluctuate 70 degrees in few hours. I go to ski with open sunroof just to get into 0 degrees weather in an hour. Schools are open, businesses etc.
But think about this scenario: at 2.30am my 6 mobth old kid (i think he was 6 months) wakes up with cough and 105 degree fever. I just wrap him, get him in the car and drive him to first urgent care. Outside? -10 and 8-10 inches of snow on the roads.
i am not waiting ambulance to get in that weather short of physical injury to the back, neck etc.
So all three of my vehicles are on snow tires. Wife’s car, my BMW and Toyota for road trips.
You can’t predict life.

There is here. I know people that only put 5k miles pere year on their car. They can afford to not use the car when the weather isn't good, so they don't put winter tyres. Not everyone lives in Colorado.

But the fines if you cause trouble by using a car unfit for purpose (or weather) would be an axcellent idea here aswell.

There is here. I know people that only put 5k miles pere year on their car. They can afford to not use the car when the weather isn't good, so they don't put winter tyres. Not everyone lives in Colorado.

But the fines if you cause trouble by using a car unfit for purpose (or weather) would be an axcellent idea here aswell.
Where is here?

where i live in eastern wa, i think snow tires are a good idea. we run dedicated snow tires on the daily drivers and don’t drive the other stuff in winter unless the roads are clear. was happy with blizzaks but going studded this time due to concerns about black ice.

Only for the winter season: Michelin CrossClimate+ on one car, Michelin Alpin 5 on the second car,
no winters at all on the third, which isn't driven in the colder season at all. It uses to snow here just
every five years or so and I can afford staying home (which never happened so far). I moved to an
area with mild winters some 20 years ago, but retained fitting dedicated tires to my cars just in case.

Here we are, Autobild has done some actual testing for us.

Also, Tyrereviews.

I stand by my original decision and statement in post #1. Snow tires without studs are worthless if you have a quality all-season tire.

Enjoying my CC2's, and will have more to say about them this winter.
20210928_115624-jpg.172184

Last edited:
Here we are, Autobild has done some actual testing for us.

Also, Tyrereviews.

I stand by my original decision and statement in post #1. Snow tires without studs are worthless if you have a quality all-season tire.

Enjoying my CC2's, and will have more to say about them this winter.
20210928_115624-jpg.172184
What these tests have to do with comparison to snow tires? Reference summer and winter tires? What are those tires?
Give that proposition to someone living in Finland or here in FairPlay, CO and try not to get laughed at.

Last edited:
What these tests have to do with comparison to snow tires? Reference summer and winter tires? What are those tires?
Give that proposition to someone living in Finland or here in FairPlay, CO and try not to get laughed at.
I am very frustrated that they do not tell us what the winter tire is. I don't know about Fairplay, but my friends in CO don't mess with snow tires (near Cripple Creek). They just drive good AWD vehicles with good all seasons. No issues. I have no friends in Finland.

There is this, though, and keep in mind the CC2 is a marked improvement over the CC.

I am very frustrated that they do not tell us what the winter tire is. I don't know about Fairplay, but my friends in CO don't mess with snow tires (near Cripple Creek). They just drive good AWD vehicles with good all seasons. No issues. I have no friends in Finland.

There is this, though, and keep in mind the CC2 is a marked improvement over the CC.

A lot of people don’t mess with snow tires. A lot of people are picked up by me or some other neighbors when blizzards hit and they leave cars on the side of the road.
Not fun! During bombgenesis in 2019 more than 200 cars were abandoned here in my neighborhood. From Prius to RAM etc. I personally drove 32 people I think and had to go get pregnant lady (8 months) that was stuck for 10hrs on the major road. But cops beat me with CAT.
And again, point is stopping not moving forward.

I put snow tires on both my kids cars (Chryco 200 and Optima SXL). Not fooling around as there is a huge difference in performance.
I'm currently shopping for a winter tire package for the Stinger too, although if my wife works in a snow storm, she usually takes the F150.

So if one has summer tires then for winter only studded make sense per OP. No performance winters, not studless.
Studded - legal or not.

Krzyś

PS I do not think so.

I put snow tires on both my kids cars (Chryco 200 and Optima SXL). Not fooling around as there is a huge difference in performance.
I'm currently shopping for a winter tire package for the Stinger too, although if my wife works in a snow storm, she usually takes the F150.
It is impossible to overstate the difference between real winter tires and anything, ANYTHING else in snow, ice etc.

When I get stuck it's because too much snow under the car and it lifts the front end up. Might as well have racing slicks on it. But for normal driving in snow and slush I wouldn't bother with studs her in Illinois. I do use Michelin winter tires, Xi3 currently.

Back