Snow Tires Without Studs Are Worthless.

Especially if you don't know how it behaves in slick conditions. They aren't exactly like front or rear wheel drive.
Along those lines, people should practice in a safe spot to see what any vehicle does.
Most modern AWD systems are super predictable/allow you to just drive. It's not like lockers of yesteryear.

If given a choice, I would choose studless snows over all season tires for winter time use.

I mean, some of us were a bit more discerning?
I apparently have no self control 😅

Especially if you don't know how it behaves in slick conditions. They aren't exactly like front or rear wheel drive.
Along those lines, people should practice in a safe spot to see what any vehicle does.
THIS! At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter what tires you decide to use for winter, you need to know how your particular car with those particular tires is going to handle in snow.

Just to be picky. Russians did a test a few years back and they found that on “warm” ice (32F) studs are unbeatable but drop in temperature to single Farenheits causes studless tires chemistry to beat brute physical force of the studs.

Krzyś

Any link to this? I would be interested in reading it.

Try your Russian. Mine is greatly enhanced with Google translate ;-)

1644028538934.jpg

шины - Shiny - tires
top 2 + average (Sriedneye) - studded - I think
bottom 4 friction/studless (last average) I think
Temperature in Celsius
Breaking from 50km/h to 5km/h

Krzys

Whenever I hear someone say, "I don't need winter tires because I'm a good driver," I know I'm talking to a full-blown idiot who doesn't tip his waitress and who likes to smell his own farts.

Try your Russian. Mine is greatly enhanced with Google translate ;-)

View attachment 87627

шины - Shiny - tires
top 2 + average (Sriedneye) - studded - I think
bottom 4 friction/studless (last average) I think
Temperature in Celsius
Breaking from 50km/h to 5km/h

Krzys

Thanks, I've been wanting to see a winter tire test done at different temps for a long time now. We hit -44 C last winter.

Enjoy!
I remember reading the results a few years back.
The above article seems to cover their numerous tests.

I expect Siberian results to translate to Alberta without translation ;-)

Krzys

Whenever I hear someone say, "I don't need winter tires because I'm a good driver," I know I'm talking to a full-blown idiot who doesn't tip his waitress and who likes to smell his own farts.
Oh man, we had a snow storm last two days with some 10-12”.
So neighborhood Facebook page is excellent recruiting ground for psychiatrists. I am not sure how these people wake up in the morning and brush teeth without killing themselves.
One post by some Lady is going something like: “second day the roads are so bad! What do we pay taxes for, and when they going to expand this road? My car was all over the road. Barely stayed off the ditch.”
So I told her that if she had issues on these roads, it is due to her tires. Roads were fine.
Her answer: “well, I will check, no idea how they look. Probably they are shoot!”

So she blamed city plowing, road expansion, other drivers for driving too fast (probably were just passing her bcs. she was crawling) but no idea about her tires.

Just the other day I read or saw on a YouTube video that the Nokian studded Hakkas have a somewhat harder tread compound than the studless versions of the same tire. I guess they figure that if the tire is studded, the ice performance will be good enough that they can then afford to go with a harder compound to increase tread life and warmer/dry performance. And I also guess that the tread has to be firm enough to hold the studs in place. But this will hurt performance in extremely cold temps. Fascinating.

So neighborhood Facebook page is excellent recruiting ground for psychiatrists. I am not sure how these people wake up in the morning and brush teeth without killing themselves.
One post by some Lady is going something like: “second day the roads are so bad! What do we pay taxes for, and when they going to expand this road? My car was all over the road. Barely stayed off the ditch.”
So I told her that if she had issues on these roads, it is due to her tires. Roads were fine.
Her answer: “well, I will check, no idea how they look. Probably they are shoot!”

So she blamed city plowing, road expansion, other drivers for driving too fast (probably were just passing her bcs. she was crawling) but no idea about her tires.

I would rather they ban salt on the roads and make winter tires mandatory, to keep all our cars from rusting! And a set of winters is cheaper than having to replace a rusted out car before its time.

Ladies, if your your husband puts winter tires on your car, you can know that he loves you very much. If your car has all-seasons...not so much!

Back