Snow Shoe Info Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we just got at least 5 feet of snow in 3 days.
That's more snow than we get all Winter in other years.

To remove snow from the roof (1 story Ranch),
I used my Roof-Razor (Made by Minnsnowta) and it worked great.
http://www.minnsnowta.com/
Only problem was I had difficulty walking thru all the snow on the ground.
Next time I will need snow-shoes.

Question: Any recommendations as to what or what not to buy.
I will pay any price but don't want to waste money on shoes that aren't praticle.
Requirements:
About 30" long
Easy to put on / I saw some in a video with a ratchet for tightening straps (I like that).

I stepped in an area with drifting snow and sank to my shoulders.
Fortunately I had a long handle ice scrapper and got out after 5 minutes.

A big heavy snow-plow came down past my house and got stuck.
The driver had to wait for a Bobcat to dig him out.

Today I plan on finding the mail-box.
Tomorrow I'll dig a path to the front door (temp is expected to be 60 degrees).

Rain is expected tonight. The snow on roofs will absorb it and some roofs will start caving in.

Again, to be better prepared for the next storm (if it ever comes),
I would appreciate snow-shoe recommendations.
Not for Hiking or Racing, just walking around the yard.

I use a version of a roof 'snow slide', too-works great and on a one story house keeps you on the ground. I would get the shortest and widest snow shoes. This is best for working-manuvering in tighter quarters. If the stores are sold out, you can make up something if you're handy and have some various materials around. The long-narrower are for x-country type use-good luck with it all

Wife does environmental work and has whatever modern looking ones LLBean sells. They have a little "toothy" thing that sticks down for forward traction, and look nothing like the "tennis rackets" that are cliche from movies etc.

These type are great and more durable IMHO. You add tips easily in length dependent on snow conditions.

a3e80a25-0452-42d0-b297-4911585817df.jpg
http://www.rei.com/product/875159/msr-evo-snowshoes/?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-8751590003&mr:trackingCode=A432CCA9-D12D-E411-92FA-BC305BF82162&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=64201720720&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=70920524080&msid=GkYSLjsO_dc|pcrid|64201720720|

Unless you're planning to become an avid snowshoer, a good, basic snowshoe is all you need. You should be able to find a pair in the sub-$100 range. From your description you do not need an expensive pair of snowshoes-anything more than $100 would be a complete waste.

My wife and I snowshoe several times each winter (snow amount permitting). We walk the trails that are normally closed due to snow. We both have Cresent Moon shoes that are about 10 years old and they have served us (and will continue to serve us) well. Our shoes easily have a thousand miles or more on them.

Knowing what I do about snowshoeing, if I were planning to use snowshoes in the manner you're describing, I'd find a pair in the $75-$100 range. You're not going to be stressing the shoes, and I'm guessing that most winters they will be nothing more than wall art. You'll be lucky to put a mile/year on them, and at that rate anything will work just fine.

Keep in mind that walking with snowshoes does take a bit of practice-you don't simply strap them on and go. Once you learn it's quite easy, but it's something you need to be aware of when you're using snowshoes.

Good thread.
I too live in Buffalo and use a Garant roof rake. I find a need for snow shoes also, to remove snow from low sloped garage roof and room addition to house. I would think a persons weight would be a factor. Looks like the REI model I'll need the additional tails, since I weight 215 lbs.

I have several pairs of snowshoes, but haven't used them for years. If you want shoes for deep powder type snow, get those with a large footprint. Anything else and you will sink down.

In the past with heavy snowfall I have just taken a snow-blower up on the roof. You need to know what your doing so you don't rip up shingles. Not for amateurs, but less work than shoveling.

Thanks for the replies.
I have some time and will go over to Carbelas that just opened up in Town.

Good thread.
I too live in Buffalo and use a Garant roof rake.

A Roof Rake is not any where as effect as a Roof Razor.

Check out the Manufactures Web-Site or YouTube.

I bought a great pair on clearance at Cabelas a few years ago and to be honest, I haven't used them (We're in a drought in California). I bought them for work (I work in the mountains) and had gotten rid of my sherpas a few years earlier.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Thanks for the replies.
I have some time and will go over to Carbelas that just opened up in Town.

Good thread.
I too live in Buffalo and use a Garant roof rake.

A Roof Rake is not any where as effect as a Roof Razor.

Check out the Manufactures Web-Site or YouTube.

The razor looks great, but its only working 12 inches of snow. No need to even clear that small amount

Thank you to all who trade with Cabelas. Their headquarters is in Sidney, Nebraska along I 80. A top notch Nebraska company right up there with Union Pacific Railroad, Mutual of Omaha and Berkshire Hathaway. And for Christmas we would like a new head football coach. Please Mr. AD, we need a conference championship bad.

It sounds like you just need a basic snowshoe sized to support your weight, or more since you're working against the weight of snow while cleaning the roof or shoveling.

Sierra Trading Post sells a lot of closeout and overstock snowshoes. It looks like the Redfeather "Hike" model in 30'' or 36" would do the job. Sign up for their e-mail flyer and they will bombard you with discounts of 30% or more. Some sales are for "select" items only, but you'll get at least one per week that applies to almost everything, sometimes with 99 cent or $2.50 shipping.

Of course, UPS has to be able to get to your house with the order. I wonder if they outfit their drivers with snowshoes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Thank you to all who trade with Cabelas. Their headquarters is in Sidney, Nebraska along I 80. A top notch Nebraska company right up there with Union Pacific Railroad, Mutual of Omaha and Berkshire Hathaway. And for Christmas we would like a new head football coach. Please Mr. AD, we need a conference championship bad.

I feel your pain. I went to grad school at the University of Nebrask Lincoln.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic

Of course, UPS has to be able to get to your house with the order. I wonder if they outfit their drivers with snowshoes.

Somehow I expect given the limited geographical area of the incident, all three major shippers will have some sort of disaster recovery/ extra boots on the ground thing going, for the Public Relations lulz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back