Sniffed the PU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dropped 4.2 QTs of Penzoil's finest into my Mazda 6 yesterday. Then I smelled the remaining oil in the jug. It doesn't smell like oil. It doesn't smell like a petro product. How did they do that. This stuff has been extremely processed (for better I trust).

Also, I know this is subjective, but this stuff is way quiet. Noticeably quieter and smoother than M1 and Schaeffers.

Love it so far (one day).

There's counseling available for those with serious "huffing" issues. . .
wink.gif

Ultra smells very similar to Platinum, maybe a tad sweeter. It really does smell almost edible though.

i noticed this today when i poured the finest liquid mankind has made into my engine, only angel tears could be better than this stuff.

it doesnt have the normal new oil smell to it, or really much of a smell at all. and its also darker than normal oil.

anyone else notice the jugs seemed a little flimsy? maybe its all those active cleaning molecules dissolving the plastic out of boredom and spite because there is nothing else to clean.

I never noticed but you're right... Pennzoil Platinum doesn't have a smell like oil, really.

Then you open up a bottle of Rotella or Rotella T6 and you almost want to gag.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
wink.gif

Counseling does no good and there is no cure. Their wine sniffing days are over.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
wink.gif

Counseling does no good and there is no cure. Their wine sniffing days are over.
crackmeup2.gif

You guys are too much!

Never used PU but I used to use GC and noticed exactly the same thing you guys are talking about with that. No sulfur smell or anything else resembling petroleum, just a slight sweet smell.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
wink.gif

crackmeup2.gif

You guys are too much!

Yeah I know right ?

At room temperature, additive packages tend to be responsible for the smell of an oil, not its base oil.

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthre...&Main=57861

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
No base oil, when at room temperature, has a smell. All base oils come from the refinery water white and clear.

Now when heated, mineral oils have this faint sulfur smell, PAO's no smell, and Esters have this "fatty" smell to them, because they are made of fatty acids and alcohols. The only esters that have "fruity" smells are those used in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals. Esters used in motor oils have little smell to them.

Additives and "odor-fiers" is what gives a formulated oil its smell.

You guys need to smell some of the karting race oils then! Theres an oil company called FHS, they make a pure syn karting race oil, it smells soooo good you almost wanna drink it!

Theres also an oil called PowerPlus, it almost smells like cherries!

"WARNING" Do not taste the oil, do not put oil in your wife's microwave to heat it up for the hot smell test.

Do not ask me how I know all this.

"WARNING" Do not taste the oil, do not put oil in your wife's microwave to heat it up for the hot smell test.

Do not ask me how I know all this.

We dont have to ask you Johnny,we already know !
48.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back