The Taurus almost died tonight

350Rocket, the cam synchro usually starts out as a chirping like a bad belt, only at the rear (driver's end) instead of the belts. When my synchro failed, it was a grinding sound coming through the firewall on start-up. I shut it down and had it towed. I changed the syncho with OEM. No aftermarket on the synchro's, they're no good with many failing 10k after install.

The 3.0 Vulcans will drop valve seats if badly overheated. I know the '02-05 had big problems with the valve seats. I guess I got a good one, 342K on it and drive it like I stole it every day.

BTW, in the Rangers, you do have to pull the engine for oil pan gasket in the 4x4 models. 4x2 is a gamble with the oil pan gasket and pulling the timing cover. I took my time and popped the timing cover off the oil pan gasket. It's still sealed down and not leaking at 143K later.

Some of the 3.0s had big issues with the heater core clogging up and stopping coolant flow.
Electrolysis caused the coolant to turn black much sooner than expected causing this problem. Saw it lots of times years ago working at ford.

Back