The Taurus almost died tonight

Timing cover gasket behind the water pump is the 'big' leaker on the Vulcan 3.0. I have the same engine in an '04 Ranger (except rwd). It went from a few drips over 20K to a huge 3-foot lake under the truck overnight. The water pump was OEM at 200K, it got replaced along the timing set. The timing set was only 1 more bolt and $40 more at the time.

These 3.0 Vulcans will do over 400K if you keep them cool and keep an eye on the cam synchronizer, the synchro will kill the engine when its bushings fail. The oil pump is driven off the camshaft through the gear on the synchro. If it binds and shears the drive teeth, no oil pump. By the time the oil light/gauge alerts you, it's too late.
I concur with those experiences, and will add that the cam synchronizer makes a very distinctive sound before completely failing. I can't remember what it sounds like because I only heard one once many years ago but I know of it destroying a few engines.

My Vulcan Ranger's water pump went from topping off with maybe a cup of coolant every few days to losing heat on the 3 mile drive to work due to coolant loss pretty quickly.

Amazingly, mine is on the original timing cover gasket at 256k miles, but it probably needs that too.

By far the leakiest vehicle I have owned, oil and coolant.

My Vulcan Ranger's water pump went from topping off with maybe a cup of coolant every few days to losing heat on the 3 mile drive to work due to coolant loss pretty quickly.

Amazingly, mine is on the original timing cover gasket at 256k miles, but it probably needs that too.

By far the leakiest vehicle I have owned, oil and coolant.
That's what happened to us. No heat and lost all coolant.

Worth fixing? The car has it's problems but does get us from A to B. We are at 213K now.

The oil looks fine to me, no milky-ness. Assuming that would have presented by now?

They seem to be very intolerant of overheating but the damage seemed to be immediately apparent in the cases I saw at the dealership. If it seems fine it probably is.

Worth fixing? The car has it's problems but does get us from A to B. We are at 213K now.
If you cannot DIY, probably not. You have two other sedans, not sure what value this one really adds. If it was a truck or larger utility vehicle, that would be a different story.

If I recall correctly, you paid almost nothing for it, correct?

According to the book the engine has to come out of a Ranger because the oil pan has to come off. Not sure if you can get the pan off a Taurus with it in the car or if you can finagle the gasket without taking the pan off like you can on a Ranger

Bet it is a minimum 6 hour job though

If you cannot DIY, probably not. You have two other sedans, not sure what value this one really adds. If it was a truck or larger utility vehicle, that would be a different story.

If I recall correctly, you paid almost nothing for it, correct?
Yes, $500 plug tag etc. Just put new tires on it too!

Yes, $500 plug tag etc. Just put new tires on it too!
So, $1500 all in for 10 months of use? Maybe you can still get $200-$300 for scrap?

$120/mo isn’t great for a spare car but not terrible either.

If you cannot fix it yourself I would just walk away at this point.

Its a common issue for the taurus.
Water pumps have a high failure rate on these cars , they always leak first so you have time to fix it before it overheats
car is popular in Saudi Arabia and its issue is known
Edit:for 2010-2019 models

Last edited:
So it looks like Motors time is actually 3.0HRS you're going to have the add at least a little to do the timing chain and gears (.5 -.8) because it would frankly be crazy to be right here stating at it at 200,000 and not do it. Couple hundred in other parts (water pump, gaskets/seals/antifreeze/oil change/) depending on local mechanical labor rate probably looking at a 800-1000?

So it looks like Motors time is actually 3.0HRS you're going to have the add at least a little to do the timing chain and gears (.5 -.8) because it would frankly be crazy to be right here stating at it at 200,000 and not do it. Couple hundred in other parts (water pump, gaskets/seals/antifreeze/oil change/) depending on local mechanical labor rate probably looking at a 800-1000?
ProDemand is showing 2.1, but a vehicle of this age usually warrants a multiplier and/or an increase in the labor time.

Its a common issue for the taurus.
Water pumps have a high failure rate on these cars , they always leak first so you have time to fix it before it overheats
car is popular in Saudi Arabia and its issue is known
Edit:for 2010-2019 models
Completely different car than we’re talking about. Nothing in common at all.

Back