small ZTR's.... any worth considering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per JD specs I've seen online, top ground-speed on a JD 757 is 9mph.
21.gif

http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMTCU15013_L1/Output/OMTCU15013_L118.html

Joel

We here at bitog are a unique bunch.

This has probably been an example of the most civil debates I've seen in general, even on bitog, in a long time.

Thats a compliment-- steve, pop_rivit, jtk...

That's what makes this place great. Everyone has something different to bring to the table.

Joel

just ordered the ariens/gravely 34" ZTR. Test drove it last night.... never been on a rider before. The vibration... I didn't expect... it's like, well, riding on a lawnmower! (go figure). For $100 more you get the gravely version, only difference is the color, the sticker, and 1.5HP. I like my $100. Getting the ariens!

Definitely better going to a lawn and garden store. Salesman was the owner, knew the product, the different lines, and the mechanics. No pressure test drive and helpful instructions.

Driving it was very intuitive. after figuring out the controls, I did figure 8's and reverse work to feel out the machine. Not worried one bit about control.
smile.gif

It's a big purchase, and I'm still reeling from the check I'm going to write, but I've done the math every way, including using a service, and this works out better in my 10 year plan.

thanks for the comments - gave me a lot to think about, and questions to ask!

Meep

What did you get, the "Zoom 34"?

Looks like a decent machine. That tiny 34" won't be much fun for close trimming though. You need deck beyond the wheels for that, plus you get a better looking cut if the deck extends beyond the wheel tracks. I understand though, that many opt for smaller width for gates, shed doors, etc..

The HydroGear EZT drives are the entry level drive system. Just make sure to keep them blown-off with your leaf blower and try to keep them dry.

Joel

yes it was the zoom 34. what are the mechanics to the hydrogear EZT? I haven't found much on the web for what the different systems are, strengths and weaknesses. admittedly, my awareness of Ariens is mostly through this board, and I've heard nothing but great things about Gravely from locals here, using the same transmission.

Anything else I need to look out for? Best maintenance practices?

Yes for another couple hundred dollars the 42 was within [painful] reach with a V-twin! And just the engine alone was enticing to me--- but yea we're one of those that needs a narrow-footprint machine to dodge obstacles in the yard. And the price tag was hurting bad enough as it was. I honestly suspect this thing won't get more than 25-30 hours per year. I estimate that the push mower saw about 50 hours per year tops. Of course this could all change if I use it for more tasks, pulling an aerator, drop spreader..... hmmm. THAT excites me...

Meep, there's all kinds of information out there on the Hydro-gear integrated zero-turn drives. The "new" name for yours is the ZT-2200 > http://www.hydro-gear.com/Main/products/hydrostatic-drives. I've got a service manual *.pdf for them if you cant find one online.

Hydro-gear has had this technology and market cornered for a good 10yrs. I see now Tufftorq has just gotten into the game with 2 drives > http://www.tufftorq.com/?page_id=114 This is a great thing! I've wanted to see them in the game for a long time now.

I wouldn't sweat the single cyl vs. V-twin thing. The single might not be quite as smooth or sound as nice, but you'll get more grass cut per gallon of gas.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back