buy or not to buy?

Hello everyone.

I have been causally looking for a riding mower and came across this one. I have 2 - 2.5 acres of grass to mow. My requirements for the mower are: Engine over 20 HP due to some hills and also pulling small cart/attachments and ability to have bagger installed for some leaf pick up. I owned a craftsman with 21hp briggs motor and familiar with repair and maintenance of that engine. I've never owned a Kohler.
I went to check it out today and I want to get a second opinion. I know to stay away from Kohler single cylinder motors. It is started with choke and ran smooth. It is not commercially used, homeowner who "always had yearly maintenance done". Clean ish oil and 2023 oil filter make me believe it actually had its service done recently and possibly i can believe that it had yearly done, but owner doesn't know when (if ever) belts have been changed. Blades engaged quickly with no strain on the motor.
While checking it out I've noticed couple of things:
1) I see wet dust under both valve cover gaskets. And its all caked up with oily dirt below valve covers. Should be simple fix just to replace valve cover gaskets. For the machine that is only 250 hours is that normal to have leak from both valve cover gaskets?
2) Transmision engaged and worked normal but only when pedal was almost de-pressed (kind on like sports clutch on your car that catches only at the end when pedal is almost released). Basically if you are not careful that thing does burnouts on the grass. Is that normal? My previous mower was much smoother and would start to engage halfway through pedal stroke.
3) No smoke coming from dip stick makes me believe that head gaskets are in good condition, but there is a little bit of blow by. Normal?
4) what are you thoughts on the price and are there anything else particularly on this machine i should double check.
Thank you for your help.

My obvious question......why is current owner selling? Good news is since it is a name brand unit, you should be able to order parts.....notice I said ORDER vs. GET. I would check to see how you can acquire parts for it, and see what other normal maintenance items are available now, and what other parts might be on back order.

My obvious question......why is current owner selling? Good news is since it is a name brand unit, you should be able to order parts.....notice I said ORDER vs. GET. I would check to see how you can acquire parts for it, and see what other normal maintenance items are available now, and what other parts might be on back order.
Selling because his neighbor is moving and gave them riding mower that has 50 hours on it vs the one they have. Story checked out because they had newer looking john deer in the garage.

Are they the original owner? Another question, how long do you plan on living where you are at now?
Yes, original owner. Plan is to be here for a very long time 20+ years. But I really don't want to spend $5000+ on a zero turn. I want to have ability to bag (mostly leaves once fall is here) and also not all zero turns can pull trailers.

Yes, original owner. Plan is to be here for a very long time 20+ years. But I really don't want to spend $5000+ on a zero turn. I want to have ability to bag (mostly leaves once fall is here) and also not all zero turns can pull trailers.
What transmission is on this mower, and what brand is the engine? You might want to figure out how long it will take you to mow each time. How many mows a year , your area maybe 40 weeks a year, so 40 mows times 3 hours is 120 hours a year. 120 times 20 years is 2400 hours. That is alot to ask out of this mower that you might get 1000 hours out of if you are lucky. You could get this mower and also look for a Mower that has a Kohler Command or Kawasaki engine.

The belt sounds like it is stretched and needs replaced.

That might be a common leak on that engine with a solution? Use parts from the pro engine on the consumer grade engine as a fix? I'd research it.

^this. The K46 is fine on flat ground and with light mowers but they dont last real long on hills or heavy tractors or loads. A K46 replacement will cost more than the mower asking price. I cannot remember were I read it but I think the MTBF of the K46 is between 250-300 hrs, check their website, I think they list the specs for all their tranny's.

I would offer $750 and walk away if they are not interested. I have seen some really good deals lately in my area on lawn tractors. I think you are being too picky, it's a riding mower not a used car.

Looks like it sold, as the link isn't working.

Either way, I'd be more concerned about the transmission if pulling a cart up hills than the engine having over 20hp.

Looks like it sold, as the link isn't working.

Either way, I'd be more concerned about the transmission if pulling a cart up hills than the engine having over 20hp.
I just checked and they just deleted it. Didn't even mark it sold. Interesting.
I guess that is my answer.

^this. The K46 is fine on flat ground and with light mowers but they dont last real long on hills or heavy tractors or loads. A K46 replacement will cost more than the mower asking price. I cannot remember were I read it but I think the MTBF of the K46 is between 250-300 hrs, check their website, I think they list the specs for all their tranny's.
I have a new x350 and it has K46 which dealer calls heavy duty. I checked the website and noticed it is above the tl200 but lower than anything else. I have 250 hours on tl200 without service and it has been abused. I bought my X350 from dealer and have a 500 hrs warranty just in case. I just drug tree base about 3ft in diameter by 5ft long across property as well as tried to pull steel post over that bus knocked over. While I couldn't get it straight cause all it wanted to do is burn tires on asphalt it did prove how strong it is. I will service mine but don't have to as it claims unservicable and dealer told me don't worry cause it is stated this in the manual. To much money not to service. The trick is keeping Trans clean and fan operative.

I have a new x350 and it has K46 which dealer calls heavy duty. I checked the website and noticed it is above the tl200 but lower than anything else. I have 250 hours on tl200 without service and it has been abused. I bought my X350 from dealer and have a 500 hrs warranty just in case. I just drug tree base about 3ft in diameter by 5ft long across property as well as tried to pull steel post over that bus knocked over. While I couldn't get it straight cause all it wanted to do is burn tires on asphalt it did prove how strong it is. I will service mine but don't have to as it claims unservicable and dealer told me don't worry cause it is stated this in the manual. To much money not to service. The trick is keeping Trans clean and fan operative.
While back I have read somewhere on the internet that you can drill and tap a hole on the bottom of the K46 and it will make it serviceable. This way you don't even have to take it off the mower. Drain while its flat, tilt to one side fill back up and good to go again. I'll need to find that write up again.

While back I have read somewhere on the internet that you can drill and tap a hole on the bottom of the K46 and it will make it serviceable. This way you don't even have to take it off the mower. Drain while its flat, tilt to one side fill back up and good to go again. I'll need to find that write up again.
You can, and I've seen it done, but the serviceability isn't what kills them. Fluid changes will absolutely extend the life of them for sure, but they are just not meant to haul the loads like a garden tractor grade K66 or K72 is. K46 is meant mostly for mowing. With that said, if you plan on "mostly mowing" I wouldn't avoid a K46, they aren't as horrible as everyone makes them out to be, just know what its limitations are. I have not seen many failed ones, but the ones I have seen fail were used for ground engaging stuff like snow plowing, snow blowing, pulling loaded trailers up hills, etc.

I would take a good hard look on Marketplace and Craigslist at used machines if you cannot afford a new garden tractor. There are plenty of deals to be had. I just had two customers who found great deals on Craftsman (Husqvarna) garden tractors with the 54" deck and K66 transmission. One has a V-Twin Briggs and the other a V-Twin Kohler. The prices of lower grade and box store machines is enticing, but in the long run you lose money, because you will be right back where you started in a few years or less.

Get a twin cylinder . Have over 500 hours on a J.D. 130 ( 22H.P. B&S ) that mows up to 3 acres ( some hilly ) for over 9 years . Have always used synthetic . 1st O.C. was 10w-30 ( P.U.P. ) and rest are 5w-30 that is mostly P.P. and 1 ( or 2 ? ) SHELL Gas Truck . All oil filters were ( are ) J.D..

Last edited:
Back