Small, Travel-sized, Pepper Grinders

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
One of the things I missed on my recent road trip was fresh ground pepper. I checked around and found many, many different brands and styles of small, travel-sized, grinders. Maybe some of the foodies here have a suggestion or two and some ideas about what to look for and what to avoid.

Right now I'm thinking that I'd like something made of stainless with perhaps a ceramic grinding mechanism and small enough to fit into a shirt or jeans pocket, maybe 3 - 4 inches tall. That's my current thinking but I'm not wedded to the idea. I'm open to suggestions.

It would be easier and cheaper to grab a few packets at the cafe the next time you stop by. Get some salt too.
I want fresh ground black pepper. Maybe you missed where I said that. Also, I didn't mention that I'd be using pepper from my home supply, so there's no need to but other peppercorns.

Last edited:
image_2022-08-18_185023521.jpg

I've had a few grinders over the years but this is the one I use all the time. I like it because it grinds out of the top so no little pepper flakes from it sitting on the counter/stove. It's a little taller at 5.5".

While you're at it here is some really good pepper corns, it's a mix.

The grinder is bigger than I'd lik...hand. I should have mentioned that ... sorry.

Last edited:
I heard of one from GSI Outdoors, which makes cooking/eating equipment for backpacking.

Years ago I bought a Minimill from Tom David, Inc. That one is really good (it grinds really fast), but rather pricey. I still have it. I bought it at a time when they had free shipping and buying direct was pretty cheap. I had seen those at Sur la Table, but it was more expensive. Looks like they no longer make it.

Maybe just a Peugeot Bistro. I've seen them at restaurants, but they're pretty small at 4" and available in a lot of different finishes. 3 inches is actually their smallest size.

37796.png

Back