Fellow Ode Gen 2 20% Off

The Fellow Ode (latest Gen 2 model) is on sale for 20% off on Fellow's site, as well as Amazon.

Fellow: Fellow Ode Gen 2

Amazon: Gen 2 Ode Brew Grinder - Burr, Electric Coffee Bean Grinder with 31 Settings for Drip, French Press & Cold Brew - Small Footprint - Matte Black

Just thought I'd throw it out there in case there's somebody similar to myself here, who's been soldiering on with a cheap grinder, as I did for years, maybe not knowing the benefit of a coffee grinder that produces an even grind with low fines.

For those not familiar, this is, first and foremost, a burr grinder, which is what you want for even, consistent grind (vs. one of those cheap blade grinders). But more importantly, this uses 64mm flat burrs (vs. conical burrs used by most burr grinders). Flat burrs are what is found on many commercial grinders, and this grinder actually shares more in common with a commercial grinder than a consumer grinder. You might categorize it as "prosumer".

This is designed as a "single-dose" grinder. In other words, it's for those who want to add beans and then grind each time they make coffee, rather than to store the beans in a hopper that is part of the grinder (a la Baratza Encore, etc).

Personally, I have the Gen 1 that I bought on sale a while back, however, had the Gen 2 been available at this price when I bought my Gen 1 (for $159) over the summer, it would have made my decision much more difficult.

There have been several changes and improvements to the Gen 2, including different burr profile, taller hopper for increased capacity and better feeding, and the addition of a plasma generator to virtually eliminate static.

Years ago, when I first got into grinding my own beans immediately prior to making my coffee, I bought one of those blade grinders and used that for a while. Then, I decided to get a burr grinder, and went with one of those $40 Mr. Coffee conical burr grinders that looks a bit like the Baratza Encore, but performs nothing like it (very uneven grind with lots of fines production, inaccurate adjustments, etc). I used that for years, and, it was an improvement over a blade grinder, and it was better than buying preground.

Well, actually, in some cases, it wasn't, because, one time, Walmart was out of my usual coffee that I would buy in whole bean form, so, I bought a bag of pre-ground, and the taste of my cup was actually better. Why? Because my grinder was producing many boulders and fines, vs. the even, consistent grind of the pre-ground Eight 'O Clock Coffee I bought.

That was an eye-opener for me, and helped me make the decision to get an actual, GOOD coffee grinder.

For those who don't know, getting a good grinder is the 2nd best thing you can do to improve your cup (the 1st best is buying good, fresh coffee).

But back to the Ode. This is a good grinder - one of the best on the market, at this price, and I think it's at the point of diminishing returns. In other words, you'd need to spend a LOT more than this (hundreds, or maybe well over $1000) to get, maybe, 10% better results.

I saw that. 100g capacity so you dont let your beans get stale in the hopper.. It has very high specs.
the 64mm flat burrs esp.

The only way to get a better grinder IMO is to get a specialty one that is designed mostly towards your coffee use.
ie espresso machine, or non. ($500+)

This is among the best for non-espresso use so its hard to beat and I doubt any "general" grinder that says it does both(espresso/non-espresso) would beat it.

My kitchenaid which I got on price mistake(50$) has been good compared to my worn out breville smart grinder (1st gen) but that one had about 1000lb put through it and full burr sets werent available. Still not sold on reliability with it's replacement. I almost bought one of these last night since the wife is now drinking (ugh) flavored coffee.. and that isnt going near my grinder lol.

The one thing you notice about the best designs is they are straight through top to bottom so not much grind retention or clogging.

Was looking at a JA henckel grinder as that is usually a good name.. it was on sale for $85
you can see how it "looks great" but where it counts in the burrs and the grind path it is just another mediocre grinder.

At least they dont try and tell you it will do espresso ;)
1700575823262.png

so My 2 cents the fellow ODE gen 2 is probably among the best sub $1000 grinders for any non espresso use.. and will likely last at least 10-20 years.

Last edited:
Back