New Coffee Grinder needed

Well its finally that time my breville smart grinder from feb-2011 is ill.
The control panel cups button(sets quantity ground) is haunted and randomly changes settings sometimes running through 1-12cups continuously.

Ideas on replacement. I WAS considering Baratza virtuoso+

It is mostly used for drip coffee, french press and pourover occasionally.

Would like something with a timer at a minimum or weighed grinding.

Budget isnt set. I wouldnt feel bad about $300 for one that will last me 10 years.

Options considered
Breville BCG820BSS $199--Updated version of current grinder. Standard I would measure new grinder against. Pros: current one lasted almost 11 years, used to it. Relatively quiet, not as plastic.
Baratza Encore $170 Cons: no timer, extra loud, slow, very plastic including gear box. Pros: under budget. Great for drip and french press. can upgrade burr set, repair parts available.
Baratza Virtuoso+ 249 seems not available currently.

OXO Brew Conical burr grinder $104 pros under budget, good reviews cons: seems to trap some grounds, may plug up easier on dark oily roasts, questionable durability.

Solis Scala $79 Very consistant grind for price, grind range is narrow not the greatest for cold brew or french press. Durability unknown.

I would reach to even 400~~ range if it was something amazing and highly durable/repairable. I dont need one capable of espresso fines at this time.
I do have high expectations as a coffee nut who roasts his own coffee beans.

If you buy preground coffee from the grocery store.. I understand why you think a 20$ blade grinder is good :p.

Please know this is at enthusiast hobby level.

Previously I bought cheaper models and they lasted 1-2 years for $50-$70
I feel my 154$ smart grinder that lasted almost 11 to be money well spent.
It has ground well over 600lb of beans.. and the control panel is failing motor etc has held up well.

So I'm asking for options.. can be other grinders I havent listed..

Thank you.

i picked up an encore by baratza from peach coffee roasters, a great basic burr grinder, a little more than my cuisinarts that lasted less + less!!!

I have used a Capresso 560.5 in the stainless steel case. Replaced the top burr once in 12 years of operation. $139 on Amazon now. The replacement burr was $28 in the door. Can be cleaned in 30-45 seconds. Still produces a uniform quality grinds.

I like that Breville one, especially because it allows grinding directly into a portafilter, but I know that is not your application. Alas, some reviews state that it uses a plastic impeller that wears out quickly?

The thing with Baratza is they have parts and videos showing you how to repair their grinders, how many companies do you know of that would rather have you fix their product instead of buying a new one these days? They even have a Repair Program where you can send it in and they will test it and replace worn or broken parts and send it back with a six month warranty.

I have the very first Baratza virtuoso I bought in October 2011, since then they have updated the the bur, main gear drive and with the newest one added the LED function.

In March 2018 my gear stripped out, when I contacted them they sent me a rebuild kit for $15 along with a link to a video showing me how to do the repair.

I've ordered stuff from Williams-Sonoma before, free shipping on this one.

I have to say if I buy a new one rather than repair mine I would go with the Encore, for my needs it would work just fine.

I was using these Chinese made grinders for 2 years...even though I had a Barzata Encore sitting new in the box in my garage. I decided to use it two months ago. It's great. I shelved the Xeoleos and bought a Ariete-DeLonghi on eBay for $70 for our beach house. It's pretty good too.

Attachments

• ariete-grinder-pro-3017.jpg
    ariete-grinder-pro-3017.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 8
Well its finally that time my breville smart grinder from feb-2011 is ill.
The control panel cups button(sets quantity ground) is haunted and randomly changes settings sometimes running through 1-12cups continuously.

Ideas on replacement. I WAS considering Baratza virtuoso+

It is mostly used for drip coffee, french press and pourover occasionally.

Would like something with a timer at a minimum or weighed grinding.

Budget isnt set. I wouldnt feel bad about $300 for one that will last me 10 years.

Options considered
Breville BCG820BSS $199--Updated version of current grinder. Standard I would measure new grinder against. Pros: current one lasted almost 11 years, used to it. Relatively quiet, not as plastic.
Baratza Encore $170 Cons: no timer, extra loud, slow, very plastic including gear box. Pros: under budget. Great for drip and french press. can upgrade burr set, repair parts available.
Baratza Virtuoso+ 249 seems not available currently.

OXO Brew Conical burr grinder $104 pros under budget, good reviews cons: seems to trap some grounds, may plug up easier on dark oily roasts, questionable durability.

Solis Scala $79 Very consistant grind for price, grind range is narrow not the greatest for cold brew or french press. Durability unknown.

I would reach to even 400~~ range if it was something amazing and highly durable/repairable. I dont need one capable of espresso fines at this time.
I do have high expectations as a coffee nut who roasts his own coffee beans.

If you buy preground coffee from the grocery store.. I understand why you think a 20$ blade grinder is good :p.

Please know this is at enthusiast hobby level.

Previously I bought cheaper models and they lasted 1-2 years for $50-$70
I feel my 154$ smart grinder that lasted almost 11 to be money well spent.
It has ground well over 600lb of beans.. and the control panel is failing motor etc has held up well.

So I'm asking for options.. can be other grinders I havent listed..

Thank you.

I have one of these: https://www.coffeeverdict.com/kitchenaid-burr-coffee-grinder-review/, been using it for 15 years. I am sure it will outlive me. I use a Rancillio Rocky for espresso, but dislike it for switching from press (coarse grind) to fine as there are too many steps. This Kitchenaid is build like the proverbial brick $hithouse, no plastic, pretty heavy, replaceable burrs. ( replaced mine after 10 years or so, not sure the old ones were bad) but pretty anal about my coffee.

I have one of these: https://www.coffeeverdict.com/kitchenaid-burr-coffee-grinder-review/, been using it for 15 years. I am sure it will outlive me. I use a Rancillio Rocky for espresso, but dislike it for switching from press (coarse grind) to fine as there are too many steps. This Kitchenaid is build like the proverbial brick $hithouse, no plastic, pretty heavy, replaceable burrs. ( replaced mine after 10 years or so, not sure the old ones were bad) but pretty anal about my coffee.
That looks pretty good. In other good news I at least temporarily fixed the buttons.. not doing the phantom press anymore.. after some deoxit d5

I've tried 3-4 different ones over the last few years. A Krups...better than store ground coffee. Xeoleo... Chinese knockoffs of a Japanese design,
and I settled on the Baratza Encore and a Delonghi Ariete.
The Krups...inconsistent grind size. The Chinese Xeoleos...actually very good but messy, throwing grounds all over the counter at the end of the batch. The Baratza Encore and DeLonghi Ariete are excellent. The Baratza is a bit slow but consistency of grind is outstanding.

Attachments

• 81msMmP2T1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81msMmP2T1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 7
  • product-image-547194632_1512x.jpg
    product-image-547194632_1512x.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 711jsKbAS2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    711jsKbAS2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 81vbcfBEWyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81vbcfBEWyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 7
Surprise ending to this story. My old grinder is still working
But I gave it to the parents to replace their 15$ blade grinder.. buttons have been working ok since the deoxit d5 soak.

I chanced upon a sale of the NEW kitchenaid KCG8433 burr grinder.. has 70 settings and microadjustable burr.
71uOz1ckD6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

retail is 200$
Amazon link for details
https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KCG8433BM-Coffee-Grinder-Black/dp/B08JH6K5PY

Paid 49.99(75% off)+9.99 shipping + tax
got 40$ store credit (special offer)
so about $24 bucks out of pocket if I count their credit and free shipping on next order too as a bonus.

I thought 50%+ chance it was a scam but decided to proceed with Paypal backed by CC as double protection.

Well its here... but they are now sold out :(

Initial impressions are this is next level grinder but of course my old breville smart grinder (org. model) had 600+lb through it and 11 years old.
Drinking my first cup of coffee now it was slightly finer than I wanted but tastes noticeably better.. Cant wait to get it dialed in which might take a week or 3 depending on if I go in the right direction.. I normally only do 1 pot a day.

Back